Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie Please Help Almost There???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie Please Help Almost There???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 03:06 AM
GEORGE1021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Please Help Almost There???

Well I think will go with the following,but i have a few questions??

Radio FUTABA 6 channel (what model you guys reccomend).
Plane- SIG-LT 40

Engine- OS.46 FX

What else do I need.

Does the radio or plane kit come with the servos,or do I have to buy them seperate.

Do you buy extra servos for other planes or you switch them
around.
THANKS......
Old 06-16-2002, 03:32 AM
AirplaneDan98

I think you made good choices. I would recommend getting the T6XAS, but you could get the Skysport if you want something a little cheaper. If you stick with the hobby, you'll want the T6XAS. The servos come with the transmitter. You can buy extra servos and another receiver for another plane, or use what you have to save money. Switching radio gear is a pain in the butt though.

As far as what else you need, make sure you have an instructor. Good luck and enjoy the hobby!! Dan
Old 06-16-2002, 06:55 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default George

Have you applied for or have your AMA yet?
Old 06-16-2002, 11:07 AM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you join the AMA join a club BEFORE you do the engine and radio installation and ask for help.Its been said before in this thread but dont even think about learning to fly on your own.Assuming you follow this advise, the new club is going to check over your installations anyway so why not use their expertise and avoid errors in the first place?
Old 06-16-2002, 05:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Figure in spending about $75 in field equipment and then you will need money to buy, wheels, linkage, propellers and other minor accessories.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:15 PM
rsieminski

The "Global RCM Trainer 40 arf" right now comes with the Magnum XLS 40BB engine. The only thing you need to put it together is a screwdriver and allen wrenches. It's really a good deal. It's normally $139 w/out engine.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXCNT1&P=7

Get more TX then you need (w/in your budget). Computerized mixing and exponential now-a-days is a must. Model memory usually comes with them. That way when you get your next model, you can fly both, and keep them in trim. I like the Hitec Flash 5x.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNW35**&P=7

Just my opinion though, hope it helps.
--Rick
Old 06-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Fastsky

Default first choices

Stick with the 46Fx. ITs almost the same price as the 40 size, weighs less and has good power that you can use on a lot good 2nd type planes. MAgnums, ASP and others have poor reliability compared to OS Fx series. The FX arer more money but well worth it to me. Thunder Tiger are a good less expensive alternative but produce a bit less power. IF you can afford it, stick with the OS!
Old 06-16-2002, 09:27 PM
f2racer

Default Re: first choices

Originally posted by Fastsky
MAgnums, ASP and others have poor reliability compared to OS Fx series. The FX arer more money but well worth it to me. Thunder Tiger are a good less expensive alternative but produce a bit less power. IF you can afford it, stick with the OS!
Magnum/ASP, TT, OS, Irvine, GMS and Tower 46s all make right about the same power. They'll all run within 2-300 rpm of each other given the same prop (power difference is negligable). We've tested many different varieties at our club and there's definitely no clear winner, unless there's a displacement advantage (such as the OS50SX or Irvine 53 which will both outpower a BB 46). In terms of reliability, it was true that OS engines (made in Japan) were more reliable, but the Taiwan and Chinese companies have caught up at a dramatic pace. I've never seen a newer (less than 3 years old) model from any manufacturer run unreliably unless the owner doesn't know how to tune the engine. My order of preference for this size motor would be TT Pro-46 (at $70, it's the deal of the bunch), Irvine 53 (at $99, it'll outrun any 46), the newer Magnum/ASP XLS46 (at $80, sure looks like a 46FX), OS46FX (at $120, the most expensive of the bunch), and last the Tower/GMS 46 (at $75 a good buy, I've heard they leak air through their bearings making them hard to stop unless the fuel line is pulled, but a local flyer has one and it runs and stops like a champ)... In terms of engine design, I personally don't like remote needle valves (they might be safer but IMHO, the closer the better for fuel delivery), but it looks as if this is the way that OS and Magnum/ASP are going. Also look for fins that are more squared-off rather than rounded. These have been designed for maximum cooling. That being said, if you build your LT-40 light or maybe consider an LT-25 (sub 5lb with engine for an LT-40 or sub 4lb for the LT-45), you may just want to look into a hiperf 32-39 engine such as the TT Pro-36, Irvine 39, or LEO/Megatech 37. Or if you're on a budget, try the TT GP-42. These engines all produce near BB 40 power but weigh significantly lighter (10-13oz with muffler as opposed to 16+oz for the 46s) and drink less fuel. Plus their perfect for that Magic or Uproar/Dazzler that you'll be getting in the future
Old 06-17-2002, 01:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by rsieminski

Get more TX then you need (w/in your budget). Computerized mixing and exponential now-a-days is a must.
Two words... BULL S**T!!

This is one of those things that really pushes my buttons, so here I go again.

Buy a BASIC transmitter! In over 40 years of flying, I just got my FIRST computer radio last year. And I only got it because my wife was looking to get me a nice Xmas gift, so I went for the gusto.

Please show me ONE airplane on the market that you MUST have exponential, or computerized mixing to fly!

REMEMBER... You guys that have been flying for years KNOW how to do it. You are talking to people who DON'T KNOW.

Learning to fly is VERY difficult for most people (I know there are some prodegies out there, and I have met a few guys who soloed their first day out, but they are by FAR the exceptions). In the beginning (and by "beginning" I mean the first few YEARS for most) it takes ALL of your concentration to keep the plane in the air. EVERY switch, button, or feature on that transmitter is a potential disaster for a novice.

Example... One of the guys I used to regularly fly with (and who was a VERY good flier) got his first computer radio several years ago. He noted to me that "This radio is soooo cool! You can do ANYTHING wiyth it! I even have it set up so that all I have to do is flip a switch, and it will do a snap roll!" I said, "Not a good idea. To do a snap roll, you just have to push the sticks to the corners. But now you have a switch that could cause a disaster if accidentally hit at the wrong time."

Well, he had a very nice flight, and then, as he was about to land, he went to drop his landing gear and... you guessed it, his airplane spun into the ground. (Ooops, wrong switch)

I have seen MANY planes meet an early demise because "Ooops, I forgot my dual rates were on". (How many of you have seen, or heard of THAT happening?)

And if you're thinking, "You don't HAVE to use ALL of the features in the beginning" you're right, you DON'T have to... But who wouldn't? That's like giving a 16 yr old the keys to a Vette and then saying, "Don't drive too fast now..."

Yeah, right!

Stick to a basic radio to learn on. You want something that you can grow into? Look at the picture below. ALL of these planes can be flown with a 4 channel radio without any whistles or bells.

Then, later, if and when you decide that you want something better, there's always Christmas (or birthday, Father's Day, Kwanza, etc.)

"But then, what do I do with my OLD radio?"

Ok everyone, let's see a show of hands... If you had and extra 4 channel radio right now, would you be able to find something to put it in? Would you have a hard time trying to figure out a way to use it?

How many computer radio users out there still have 1 or 2 non-computer radios? Are they just sitting there collecting dust, or do you have them installed in another airplane?

To summerize, (finally, he's going to shut-up) Don't tell rookies that they really should spend their hard-earned money on stuff that will be either obsolete, or much cheaper by the time they are ready to use it (IF they don't wreck it their first season.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14660_7722.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	9207  
Old 06-17-2002, 11:04 PM
rsieminski

MinnFlyer,
I don't think it takes most people all of their concentration for the first few years just to keep the plane in the air. I don't think many would stay in the hobby if it was that much trouble.
If you want to do laps and simple aerobatics, a cheap 4 channel radio will do just fine. And, I think you are absolutely correct --- mixing, exponential and digital trims and throws are not mandatory for any plane to fly. To do any advanced aerobatics and 3d stuff later on, it is. In a couple of months(I don't think it's that steep of a learning curve), when you graduate from your trainer and want to get something capable of lots more, the functions will be there. And even on the trainer, using expo to soften the controls is nice. Of course MinnFlyer will probably tell you that a cub is capable of all the aerobatics you will ever need for the next 5 years.
I've got it: If you think it'll take 2 years of ALL your concentrating to keep the plane in the air -- get an inexpensive analog Tx.

If not, get something a little more sophisticated, and know where the switches are before you use them.

P.S. I too think a switch for snaps is stupid. And, yes I have an old analog 4 channel futaba sitting on the shelf, a Futaba 8UAPS 8 Channel PCM, and Hitec Flash 5x...both if which get regular use.

Ask around, the older crowd tends to lean in the direction of how it was. And the younger fliers, look at technology as an advantage.
Just my 1/2 a cent. Just offering advice that GEORGE1021 asked for.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:48 PM
f2racer

Originally posted by rsieminski
Ask around, the older crowd tends to lean in the direction of how it was. And the younger fliers, look at technology as an advantage.
I personally went from standard 4 channel (JLine Quattro) to a computer 6 (JR XF631) to the Futaba 9C in 9 months. Love the technology. Love being able to bring just one TX to the field regardless of which plane I fly. The problem for beginners is whether they will stick with this hobby? If they do and they get bit by the bug, I'd recommend buying the biggest/baddest radio you can afford, but starting out with a 4 channel ain't a bad idea since the cash outlay is light... I don't recommend a mid-range computer radios because sooner or later, you'll have radio envy. Ask me how I know...
Old 06-18-2002, 12:34 AM
rsieminski

Yeah,
I drool over the new Futaba 9C's. Can you really dial-up the rx ch of your choice?
Old 06-18-2002, 02:05 AM
stevta
My Feedback: (1)

Default Radios too many choices

Here's an idea for the show of hands trick. Go to the field and ask someone if they have a 4 channel transmitter you can barrow while you learn. Then all you have to do is buy a flight pack. Oh year the futaba skysport is only $30 more then the flight pack. $30 for your own radio. Yeah you won't use it forever but its only a few buck. On the other hand....
There's good reasons for both sides of the argument. In final the only way to know what's best is to be able to predict what someone will do in the future.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:11 AM
Crash_N_Burn

Well said, MinnFlyer!

I've thought about this dilemma many times, and I think you have nailed it, IMHO.

Started out 10 years ago with a trainer and a Futaba 4 channel el-cheapo.

Got a better radio and some planes. Sold them. Left the hobby for 9 years but kept the 4-Ch Futaba and the trainer.....

...Back in the hobby last year, two new high-end computer radios and lotsa new planes...but, know what? I keep coming back to the old, basic Futaba.

It works just fine! No expo. No mixing. No nothing but basic control.

If I had to do it over again, it would a simple trainer and a simple radio, just like I started with....

Who knows what the future holds? A few crashes and the black thought pops in...."Guess this isn't for me"..... So you sell everything for $.50 on the dollar but you come back and do it all over again later.

I agree 1000% MinnFlyer, keep it simple and cheap at first until you see how it is going for you.

It it the best hobby but it is also one of the most challenging to conquer.

......Save your money until you know you're "hopelessly hooked".
Old 06-18-2002, 11:48 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I,ve seen the older flyers at our field arrive with two or three planes and two or three Standard radios and then sit and figure out which radio goes with which plane. I have been flying for 18 months and I have the Futaba 9C, I arrive with 3 planes 1 radio. When I decided to move up to a more aerobatic plane (extra 300 40 size) I dialed in expo to soften things out. Then as I became more used to the plane I reduced the expo alittle each time. If I didn't have expo or dual rates that plane would have never survived its maiden flight. To many time I've seen the veteran flyers say "I don't need expo I've been flying for 20 yrs", then proceed to plow there new, very touchy plane into the ground. A 6 channel computer radio with multi plane memory is a good way to start.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:55 PM
MinnFlyer

Originally posted by rc_sport
I,ve seen the older flyers at our field arrive with two or three planes and two or three Standard radios and then sit and figure out which radio goes with which plane.
And I have seen fliers (young and old) with their 3 planes and one transmitter take off with plane #1 while the transmitter was set for plane #3 and smash plane #1 into Ground #Zero. So don't give me this "one transmitter is better" crap.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:42 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got 5 planes programmed on my 9C and its great. All models are stored with a name, not just a model number so picking the right model is simple. I would never want to have multiple transmitters.

My CAP uses 6 channels and multiple mixes and my Ustik 1.20 use 7 channels and a kajillion mixes. Even my goofy little Electrajet uses a delta wing mix.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Unstable

here is my $0.02

buy a cheap trainer, simple 4 channel (like the skysport) and a buddy cord (you can't depend on someone at the field having one)(also find out what brand your instructor uses and match him so your radio is compatable).

learn to fly.

senario a: you learn to solo and feel good about it and decide that this is something you can do on the weekends.
what to do: Stick with that radio for a while and keep the trainer upgrade as time goes by.

senario b: you learn to solo and you can't keep from jumping up and down like a kid, you spend the next few months thinking nothing but airplanes and flying, and want to get to the field every day.
what to do: get rehab now before its too late
if not, get the better radio because if you are really that into it it wont be long until you are getting more than one plane that needs more "stuff" but keep that old radio, buddy cord and trainer. because some day you may be on the field and some kid will ask "hey.. can someone teach me how to fly?"

(I am about a week away from helping my friend learn to fly.. as soon as he gets his ama and first plane and such.)
Old 06-18-2002, 10:37 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I drag enough stuff to the field I wouldn't want to bring along additional radios just cause I want to fly more then one plane. Besides that just more things you have to worry about if they're charge. To me a Multi memory computer just makes thind a whole lot easier. No one says you have program in snap rolls and all that other crap, you do that cause you want to. I program in flaperons and it sure is fun to watch your plane just float in.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:19 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Bingo! Computer Geek!

We think alike!

...and rc-sport...

-------------------------------------
I drag enough stuff to the field I wouldn't want to bring along additional radios just cause I want to fly more then one plane.
-------------------------------------

Couldn't a guy still use the same basic radio and channel his one, two or three planes on the same frequency?

I know digital trims are wonderful.... but pencil marks and a notebook on the one transmitter will save a new-guy a bunch of money, yes?
Old 06-19-2002, 01:00 AM
f2racer

Originally posted by Crash_N_Burn
I know digital trims are wonderful.... but pencil marks and a notebook on the one transmitter will save a new-guy a bunch of money, yes?
In my book, time is money. How much extra time would it take to do all that instead of just calling up a model saved in memory?

BTW, you'll have to excuse me as I get back to studying my 9CAs manual
Old 06-19-2002, 01:25 AM
GEORGE1021

Default thanks for all the help.....

Sorry I have not posted to thank you guys for all the help.
In my case Im the type of person that if I dont get the best at first
Ill be kicking my self. Its just the way I am Ilike the best.
But then again when it comes to rc flying I dont even know were to start. So maybe the K.I.S.S. rule applies if its easier to learn.
What is the price diference between the 4 and 6 ch with computer or standard.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:29 AM
Crash_N_Burn

Sorry, f2racer...I was thinking we were talking about the new guy, maybe like some of us were many years ago with a family to support and a lust to just try out R/C.....

I'm lucky enough now to have both the time and the money, but that wasn't always the case. When I started I was supporting two families and putting two kids through school. Money that went to R/C was food out of my kids mouths.

Some folks just barely have enough money for club dues and an AMA card, let alone buy a 6-10 channel programmable radio.

Yes, today, marking up the trims in pencil on the one transmitter I was fortunate enough to own and making notes in a notebook would be a pain. And, yes, I would miss expo and digital trims, but for the guy just starting out, who doesn't know if he'll make it or not, why spend the bucks?

If you were attracted to golf would you go out and buy a US$1200 set of clubs just to try it out? I don't think so.

We have heard from many who chose buying a computer radio as the first one. These guys, like us, are hooked.

How many failed and sold their stuff after the first season? You won't hear from them here.

IMHO, it is prudent to be thrifty and cautious...especially if you don't know it is going to work for you.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:12 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Woah!

Hold on guys! Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying that multiple transmitters are better than a single one! I was merely replying to rc_sport who said:

---------------------------------
I,ve seen the older fliers at our field arrive with two or three planes and two or three Standard radios and then sit and figure out which radio goes with which plane.
Like as if I'm old and feeble (Duuuuhhhh, now let's see, the one with the duct tape goes with the blue plane, and the one with the bent antenna goes the the one with the hole in the wing [said in the voice of the cartoon character of your choice]) And just for the record, I'm 47 and have a mind like a steel trap (rusty, and illegal in 36 states). I was simply pointing out that his system is not better, just different, and that mistakes can be made with either system.

If I didn't have expo or dual rates that plane would have never survived its maiden flight. To many time I've seen the veteran fliers say "I don't need expo I've been flying for 20 yrs", then proceed to plow there new, very touchy plane into the ground. A 6 channel computer radio with multi plane memory is a good way to start.
"Back in the olden days" we didn't have dual rates and expo. So when you went out to the field with an airplane that was above your capabilities, you had someone with more experience check it out first. So rc_sport is saying that a computer radio allowed him to fly an airplane that otherwise he would not be able to handle. THAT'S a scary thought. Again, I don't mean to be insulting. But seeing as how he insulted me and many fliers like me, I'm just pointing out the flaws in his theory.

As far as the 20 yr veteran who plows his "too touchy" plane into the ground, I say it's too bad that in twenty years he still doesn't know how to set up an airplane correctly, or be a good enough flier to handle a touchy plane. But then, some people are just not as good as others. I have also seen outstanding fliers who, when flying at a new field plowed their airplanes into a tree (that looked SO much farther away). Would a computer have helped? Would more experience help? No, it was just an unfortunate lack of judgment.

WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES!

The best system is the one that works for YOU!
So don't insult the intelligence of people who don't use YOUR method!
Old 06-19-2002, 02:01 PM
Blackie

I must say those were some very good points that you made MinnFlyer, well said.

I have only been in the field for just a little over a year now and have acquired three radios. My first was the simple 4 channel sky sport which I still use, an analog 6 channel futaba 6DA I believe *shrugs* and the newly purchased first computer radio the hitec eclipse. Once I broke from my trainer at about 2 months into the hobby I stripped it of its electronics to be moved over to my third plane. The trainer (Avistar) has sit for almost a year now and just a couple day's ago I went ahead and ordered a new flight pack so that I could get it back up in the air.

Even though I have three other planes that are more acrobatic and advanced I just wanted to get back to the basics once more.

My hanger now consist of the following.

Avistar, WM Super stunts 60, H9 Aresti and the AW edge 540T 90 size.

Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.