Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel soaked wood?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel soaked wood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel soaked wood?

I heard you can use K2R spot remover to remove fuel in the wood. Where can I find K2R?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Toro1
My Feedback: (2)

K2R is readily available at your local grocery store. The stuff absorbs the oils, and just brushes away after a few hours. Works well.

JB
Old 05-06-2003, 05:29 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The version of K2R which worked well has been discontinued. Some environmentalist found stuff in the formula that they didn't like.

If its REALLY bad(near dripping): Dust the fuel soaked wood with corn meal, apply heat. let it sit a couple of hours. (gets the worst of it)

Brush the area with rubbing alcohol, Apply corn meal, heat. Might take 3 or 4 rounds of this to get the majority of the oil out of the wood, but it will work.

If the wood has softened due to the oil... too late, time to carve out the bad balsa and splice in new wood.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Flyboy1958

Thanks, I have been going nuts trying to find this K2R stuff. Nobody seems to know what I am talking about.
I'll go out and buy some corn meal tomorrow and try it. The wood is not real bad, not dripping or anything, but it is discolored on the righe side of the plane where the exhaust must have worked it's way under the covering. It even feels like it has fuel in the wood.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You can also try just paper towels and heat. That will draw some oil out of the wood. Lay paper towel over the affected area, heat it up at the same temp as if ironing on MonoKote.

You'll never get it all out... Covering will have a hard time sticking unless you paint with something such as BalsaRite. (old fashioned model aircraft dope works too) These acetone based paints react somewhat with the oil. Its hard to tell the difference between butyrate dope applied over a fuel affected area and BalsaRite.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Dzlstunter

Another homebrew remedy is to remove the excess with paper towels and alcohol; make up a brushable slurry of alcohol and corn starch (talc will also work); use a stiff brush to work this into the affected area; let it dry; brush and vacuum the dried carrier (corn starch/talc) out with the oil. It may be necessary to repeat this a few times to get it as dry as you can. The Balsarite is still a good idea. Good luck, Dzl
Old 05-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Flyboy1958

I found a place to buy K2R at www.americarx.com. With shipping is't $6.48 for one can.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:42 PM
ballgunner

Balsa Rite used to advertise that you could cover over fuel soaked wood by using their product. I never tried it.
I always thought that you would still have fuel soaked wood even if the covering operation worked. If things are too awful you might have to replace the wood. Might be the best thing as soaked wood will always be weaker than clean parts.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Aeroman84

Do you think a light application of 3M 77 would help hold covering on oil soak wood (after treatment of course)?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:22 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I've never heard of 3M formula 77 being used that way... The version that contains acetone has a pretty good chance of working. The version without acetone might work. The only way to find out is for someone to test it... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

If it doesn't work, you'll be out a small scrap of covering (don't test with a big peice) and you'll have to sand off the adhesive. It won't cause serious problems.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:00 AM
oncebitten
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Fuel soaked wood?

IT'S STILL FOR SALE EXCEPT IN CALIFORNIA...HERE IS A ONLINE LINK TO ORDER IT
http://www.superkleendirect.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=250
Old 08-07-2005, 11:19 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I a light coating of epoxy a good fuel-proofing for balsa surfaces?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go down to your local auto repair shop and ask for some of the stuff they put down on the oil spills on the floor to dry it up ! I think it's called "Ever-Dry" Just fill up the area with this stuff and in a day or two it will be as dry as a bone !! It's the same stuff that Cat Litter Is made of ! Works Great !!
Ugo
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
BStrickland

www.k2rspotlifter.com The stuff has work good for me. It's not for sale everywhere, I have found it at Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware stores here in North Carolina. And Winn Dixie Grocery Stores if you can find one still in business.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:33 AM
dickj

I just discovered my Extra 300 was fuel soaked in the area of the landing gear attachment block. Got the K-2R at ACE hardware this week. It worked wonders. Spray on till soaked wait a few minutes and brush the white powder away. Albertsons also has it here.

Happy searching!