Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

GP SUPER SPORTSTER .60 ADVICE

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

GP SUPER SPORTSTER .60 ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:00 AM
whzyrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP SUPER SPORTSTER .60 ADVICE

Well my gp super sportster came in the mail yesterday unpacked it and it is very cool. I would like some opinions i'm thinking about putting an o.s. .91 in it for a power plant and also would you recommend putting the servos in the wings. If someone has a picture of how the changed where the landing gear mounts instead of in the wing i would love to see it i did a search and most people recommend to move the landing gear from the wings.
thank you very much
Rich
Old 04-04-2004, 03:50 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP SUPER SPORTSTER .60 ADVICE

The Super Sportster is a real nice plane, no matter what the size. The OS 91 will be plenty of power for the 60 size.

I'd set up as much control throw as you can on the ailerons, the recommended throws are very conservative.

To move the landing gear,; get an aluminum "dural" type gear (solid aluminum, not wire gear), then mount a good piece of 1/8th to 1/4 inch aircraft plywood in the bottom of the fuse just forward of the wing bay. If possible, add triangle stock on top of the ply at the fuselage sides to help reinforce it.

I used blind nuts mounted in the plywood, and bolted the landing gear on that way. (It's not hard to do.) I used 3 nylon bolts (4/40's) to mount my gear, but mine's a 40 size. I'm guessing that 4 would work for you. The nylon bolts will shear off in a bad landing and prevent the bottom of the fuse from ripping out.

Good luck, and have fun!
Dennis-
Old 04-05-2004, 08:06 AM
CRFlyer

I mounted landing gear on mine just as DBCherry suggests. The O.S. 91 should provide plenty of power. I have a ST .75 on mine, and it has plenty of power.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:17 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I put retracts in mine. Was way cool. Would hover with a hot 61 so the 91 would be a rocket. Would like that. With the gear up, it is a very nice bird! Lots of fun and faster than you would think.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:33 PM
phread59

I hope we are talking a 91 4 stroke. A 91 2 stroke would be serious overkill. The 91 4 stroker would be fine. A good 61 2 stroker would be fine also. Good luck with your plane.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-06-2004, 06:50 PM
whzyrd

what kind of performance would a o.s. 61 2 stroke have in this plane and thank you for the responses i can always find good advice here
thank you very much Rich
Old 04-07-2004, 08:08 AM
CRFlyer

I believe the os .61 would provide plenty of power depending on what your looking for. My SS60 with a ST.75 and an apc 13x6 prop has nearly unlimited verticle. It's not 3D, but I can take off and rotate to about 75 degrees and rocket skywards. My personal opinion is that my ST .75 is overkill on this plane.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the webra speed .61 in mine with a pipe. I have another kit and will put a .91 two stroke in it. I have retracts so it is a little heavier. The 61 was pleanty of power. The 91 will be even more fun. It will hover on a good .61 if you keep it light.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:08 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point Mark, I assumed that he meant a 91 four stroke. A 91 two stroke would be overkill if not looking for 3D potential.
Dennis-