Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Maiden Flight !!!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Maiden Flight !!!

Old 06-21-2002, 09:58 PM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Flight !!!

Last night my kit built Sig LT-40 finally flew. What an experience!
The instructor at the local flying field looked everything over, range checked it, started and taxied it for a few minutes then took to the air. Was I scared? Yer darn tootin' I was....My concerns were laid to rest soon when the instructor finished a couple of minor trim adjustments. He turned to me and said "Hands off" holding the x-mitter so that I could see it really was flying hands off. Straight as an arrow just boring holes in the sky. All the time spent with the square and drafting triangle paid off big time. After landing, we refueled, and flew again this time with the buddy box hooked up. I got some stick time and I must say it sure beats flying the simulator. What a blast! I can hardly wait 'til next week when I can try it again. Thankyou friends at RCU for all your helpful suggestions which assisted me on my way, and of course thanks to the friendly folks at Greater Pittsburgh ARCS flying club for all their assistance and encouragement.

Mike
Old 06-22-2002, 12:41 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great to hear!! I bet your polishing it up right now huh?

hehe
Old 06-22-2002, 11:07 AM
Saito_56-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

LT40 My trainer also, I personally think there is no better trainer. I have a OSFX .46 on it, and still enjoy flying it. I have a Sr. Telemaster, and a Great Planes Slow Poke, and am ordering a Pizazz and Rossi next week. Still like to fly the LT40. Was asked if I wanted to sell it, and didn't hesitate to say no thanks! Enjoy, you will love the way she floats in for landings!!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:11 AM
DSJBEAN

Default Greater Pgh ARCS

Hey Mike,

What part of Pgh are you from. I'm a member and also fly at the ARCS field. Who was helping you out there? GLad to hear every thing went well. We were out at the field last night. Beautiful time to fly in the evenings out there.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:38 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Congradulations on catching the bug. Your next big thrill should be when you solo. Now that is a rush!
Old 06-24-2002, 02:23 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Congrats, Keep us posted on your next few flights. I'm kinda in the same boat as you (in a way). I'm about to maiden flight my newly built Seduction Freestyle. Maybe later on this week or weekend......comments to follow.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WTG Mike!

There's nothing like the rush you get when you see that first plane, that you lovingly spent weeks or months glueing, sanding, covering, balancing, etc. take to the air on it's own power! Unless, of course, you count the rush you get from the second...

or third...

or...

Here's wishing that your pleasures are many and your crashes are few.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:45 PM
MJFinegan

Hi Doug,

I live in Scott Township, near Bridgeville. It's a bit of a drive out
to the field from here, (about 35 minutes) but it's well worth it.
Doug Schneider was the kind soul who took me under his wing.
I saw his Dad out at Wings over Pittsburgh on Saturday and I saw
Dean and Mark there on Sunday. What a weekend for an airshow. A bit of a scorcher but great for the demo flights.
I'm really looking forward to Thursday for another shot at flying.
Maybe I'll see you there. Look for a White LT-40 with red, orange and yellow trim. If you see it there, I'll be close by. ;-)

Mike
Old 06-25-2002, 01:22 AM
DSJBEAN

I'm from crafton, you're not far from me. Doug S is a heck of a nice guy and so is Mark P. I've generally been going out in the evenings on the weekend. Very few people there and my son and I pretty much have the skies to our selves. Glad to hear the flight went well. I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm there. I have a white chevy PU with a black cap. Heading to WV to fly this weekend.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:11 PM
glowplug

Hi Mike, I'm an ARCS member also.....I was out there on Thursday night when you maidened your plane.....great job by the way! Doug, you should see the excellent build job he did on his LT-40....wish I could build like that!

Mike
Old 06-25-2002, 04:07 PM
DSJBEAN

Mike F,

If you were out there 2 thursdays ago, glowplug is the one who tried to clear the skies but mid-airing someone. Bad thing is it was his plane that died.......
Old 06-25-2002, 07:49 PM
glowplug

Doug you're a funny guy! I'll remember that next time we're flying together......ha ha ha. I think he missed that show....he was a week late!

Mike
Old 06-25-2002, 07:53 PM
MJFinegan

Shucks.....All these nice words are going to give me a big head.

All things remaing equal, I'll be at the field Thursday evening. May
even bring my son along. He would get a kick out of the action and he'll be even happier to get a little time at the wheel of the car. If I go up 50 to Cecil and pick up 980, he can drive on lightly travelled roads and I won't ruin a perfectly good pair of shorts...

See ya there.

Mike
Old 06-25-2002, 08:15 PM
azmuth

how old is he?
i remember when i was little and i got the chance to drive, it was the coolest thing.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:37 PM
MJFinegan

He's 16. Got his permit a couple of weeks ago and is getting tired of driving around in movie theater parking lots. He can handle the residential streets around the house but there's no way he's ready for the parkway. He should be able to deal with the rural roads without too much difficulty...I hope :-)

Mike
Old 06-27-2002, 10:42 AM
DSJBEAN

Mike F.

You need to get your son interested in ths wonderful hobby too. My oldest son is 16 and he can out fly me any day. We have this little arrangement, I build the planes and he flies them to their fullest extent. Another plus to getting him involded is it will give you justification to the wife for the 6th and 7th and 8th plane you acquire with in the next year.

Wait til you solo and don't need the cord, you will be really hooked then.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:34 PM
MJFinegan

I think he'd really like to give it a go. I wouldn't mind more model building but the good Mrs. may have other ideas...I'm in the middle of putting together an entertainment center. It took a backseat to the airplane for the past few weeks so I've got to make some serious visual progress. Actually, it's almost ready to begin staining, just some minor construction and finish sanding.

Mike