Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Why R/C?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Why R/C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 12:37 AM
Longaly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why R/C?

The answer is as diverse as the hobby itself! There seems to be some aspect for anyone who enjoys flying or aircraft in general.

Let's see, there is scale, fun fly, sport, pattern, senior pattern, 3d, pylon racing, combat, 2 cycle, 4 cycle, turbine, helicopters, etc. etc.........

What more could anyone ask for?! As long as we all remember that this hobby may mean something different to the guy or gal flying next to us. I have seen threads on this site and others where a certain group may complain or belittle another only because they enjoy a different type of flying. Remember, we all love this hobby for many different reasons!

I hope the rain stops so I can do some flying this weekend!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2002, 01:40 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Why R/C?

A hobby is good therapy. As with most other things in life, moderation is the key. This hobby will keep you company for the rest of your life if you so desire. As you stated, there's something for everyone. When I hear people say they are bored, or watch TV for hours on end, or yada yada yada, I think to myself how so little time there actually is to get all of the things done I'd like to do. I'ts fun to try different things, test, modify and observe etc. I've been in since 1976, how about you?
Old 06-27-2002, 03:09 PM
azmuth

Default Why R/C?

i'm just trying to get into it now, but i'm finding it difficult because i'm low on cash. i got offered a fully assembled cesna with the radio and an os max .41 i think it was, for $300.

it sounds like a great deal to me, but it'll be hard to come up with the cash really quickly.

let me know if the cesna is a good plane, and if it really is a good deal.

i forget what kind of radio he said it was, but he said its a high end radio and i wouldnt have to worry about someone else being on the same channel.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:22 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default That's Confusing

If you are in the training stages I wouldn't recommend it. Don't understand the channel thing either If you haven't seen this plane fly, try to. Get some pictures and more details and get back to me off the board if you have to. Take care and let me know_bob
Old 06-27-2002, 03:30 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default Why R/C?

LHS sold one of my students an Avistar 40 with an OS 40LA? and a Futaba 4 channel radio for $275. Hard to get in any cheaper than that with all new equipment.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:54 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why R/C?

Originally posted by azmuth
its a high end radio and i wouldnt have to worry about someone else being on the same channel.
He prolly means that it's a PCM radio, But yes, you DO still have to worry about same freq's.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:28 PM
azmuth

Default Why R/C?

yes minn those are the letters that he said, i just couldnt be sure when i was posting so i didnt pretend to know.

he says(and i believe him) that the plane is brand new, assembled and broken in, with the electronics installed.

he has many many other planes, but when i talked to him i said that i'm a newb, and he said the cesna because its a top wing, I myself have no clue why that would or wouldnt be beneficial.

if it were upto me i'd get one of the sweet bi-planes that look as though they handle so nice, but i'm almost positive that no one that is already into this hobby would let me......one of you would prolly drive to the field and stop me from what i hear on these boards. lol
Old 06-27-2002, 07:16 PM
waszot

Default ...

"brand new" and "broken in"

I'm confused.

Wayne
Old 06-27-2002, 08:42 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Azmuth,

He's right about a high wing being (in most cases) an easier plane to handle, and it does sound like a good deal, however, there are still a few questions.

Most of the Cessna kits that I am familiar with, while being relatively easy to fly, are not what you would consider a "trainer". One big factor that sort of designates a "trainer" is how the wing is attached. Find out if the wing is rubber banded on, or if it is bolted on.

When you are starting out, it is a BIG advantage to have a wing that is rubber-banded on. Rookies have a tendency to do some funny things while they're learning, like doing cartwheels down the runway. But seriously, beginners do tend to bang up their planes during the learning process, and one way to avoid major damage to your plane is to absorb any shock to the wing with rubber bands. A hit to a wing that is bolted in place (even with nylon bolts) will usually split the fuselage open (or worse). Rubber bands can save MANY a night of repairing your plane.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:00 AM
Nuker

Default Why R/C?

You also want a plane that has some dihedral in the wing (meaning the wing is not flat but each wing tip is raised above the middle of the wing; roughlly 1-3 inches on each side; like a wide open "v"). This will give you characteristics that let the plane fly more gently, be a bit more self correcting etc.

I agree with you on the bi-planes though; can't beat 'em but wait until you get some flight experience under you. You'll appreciate them more if you can control them better.

Nuker