Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to use starter correctly ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to use starter correctly ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 03:36 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to use starter correctly ?

I have just bought a Sullivan Hi-Tork starter. I need to know how to use it correctly. Standing in front of the propeller, I have set the starter to turn clockwise so that it will bring the engine to a compression cycle and the subsequent combustion will turn the prop anti-clockwise. I notice that the torque of the starter is not enough to turn the prop beyond the compression cycle. Is this how it's supposed to work ? Or is the starter supposed to crank the engine through the compression cycle ? My engines are OS46FX and OS61FX. Appreciate help and enlightenment on this...........
Old 06-27-2002, 04:24 AM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helpful tips

Don't wear any loose clothing that can be caught by the prop.

Be careful when turning the prop by hand... the engine can accidentally be started.

Be aware of where your arms and hands are. (If it's your first time have someone at the field help you.)

Make sure to pull out when you hear the "pop" from your 2-stroke

I probably forgot a lot of things, but hope this helps!

-Brian
Old 06-27-2002, 05:20 AM
rajul

Default Further explanation needed......

Originally posted by AQ500
2. Turn the prop by hand clockwise until you can feel compression.
AQ500, thanks for the input. Could you explain the reason for doing step 2 ? Do I need to leave the engine in the compression mode before using the starter ?

Yes, I need to reverse my wiring and check the battery. I am using a 12V 5Ah wet cell and it could be undercharged......
Old 06-27-2002, 05:30 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Default To have some "Slack"

By turning the prop slowly "clockwise" until you just start to feel compression, you
are giving the engine a bit of rotation time before hitting the compression stroke
while spinning it with the starter the right way(counterclockwise).

Lots of the starters won't do much if you already have the engine on compression
in the starting direction. Particularly if they have long leads and a weak battery.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:49 PM
otisflies

I have the same starter and it is a bit on the weak side. Follow the steps in the previous post...turn prop clockwise until there is resistance (without the glow igniter on) to give the starter a head start. Also with new engines they are sometimes a bit tight so you may have to hold the starter just off the spinner and let it spin up a bit...then push it on to the spinner and it will turn it over.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:01 PM
rajul

Originally posted by Terry Wallace
I have the same starter and it is a bit on the weak side
This really worries me..........Did I make a wrong investment? Is the Kavan better ? The planetary gears should give a higher torque. Anyone using a Kavan starter out there ? Care to give some comments ? Thanks.............
Old 06-28-2002, 01:30 AM
GPutt33

Default Using Kavan

My brother has been flying for years and he helped me get started by putting together a wish list for me to get started. He's been using the Kavan for years with no trouble. I put an OS 46FX in my SIG trainer and it turns it over like a dream. I have been harrassed by the some of the club members for having a wimpy looking little starter though

Being a rookie this is the only starter I've had, tried some of the other guys and they seem to be pretty bulky and have no more drive then the Kavan.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:42 AM
rajul

Default carbon brush switch ?

Hi GP, How long does the carbon brush switch last on the kavan ? I know that Hobby Lobby carries the spares for kavan.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:16 AM
GPutt33

Default Kavan Brush Replacement

Haven't had mine long enough to worry about the brushes yet. I will ask my brother since he has used his for several years now...

And yes, I did mail order mine through Hobby Lobby Int.

Will get back to you...........

Had my maiden flight last week with my instructor. After he checked the LT-40 out, practice taxi's, he put it down the center line and it pulled up straight and true like a champ. It was fantastic seeing your first plane take to the air.

I got about 5 minutes on the first flight at the 3 high level ..

Have 3 total flights on it now and hope to try approaches this weekend to get the feel of it.......Keeping my fingers crossed (but still trying to figure out how to get me knees from knocking).
Old 06-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Ed Smith

I have had my Sullivan starter now for twenty years and it has never been repaired or taken apart. Does that tell you something?

Get rid of the cables tying you to the flight box battery and buy the Sullivan battery pack and case. It fits right to the starter and has 12 cells 14.4v. and is rechargeable. There is more than enough power to start most engines. Most of the Pylon Racing fraternity use this type of set-up.

Ed S
Old 06-30-2002, 02:39 PM
rajul

Default it's working now !!

Thanks to all for your great inputs ! I reversed my wiring, charged my wet cell and the starter works great now !! I did not cut the cable length as I need to justify my money spent on the power panel But I did change my original sullivan rubber insert to a silicone insert made by miller. Much better grip and supposed to last longer.....................