Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Taking dihedral out of Avistar wing ? ? ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Taking dihedral out of Avistar wing ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:41 AM
vagent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking dihedral out of Avistar wing ? ? ?

How should one assemble an Avistar (ARF) wing without dihedral? What are the techniques to lessen the dihedral, and how much of it could I/should I take out?

I had an Avistar, crashed it, purchased another and am flying it. Meanwhile, I repaired the original fuse and purchased another wing. Would like to take the dihedral out of the new wing--advantages ? ? ? disadvantages ? ? ?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:59 AM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Taking dihedral out of Avistar wing ? ? ?

I'm not really sure why, the avistar flys great as is! If you really wanted to, just make a balsa or ply shim that you can glue inbetween..
Old 05-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Fastsky

A lot of dihedral isn't good but the Avistar doesn't have a lot of dihedral to worry about. As it is the plane is fast when you want it to be, fairly aerobatic and will slow down nice to land. I really don't see any advantage to making the wing flat. A disadvantage with no dihedral is that you will really need to be watching the plane when landing to keep the wings level. If it is tilted slightly, it will stay that way and touch down on 1 wheel instead of 2 which could result in a bouncing plane.[]
Old 05-03-2004, 12:37 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Vagent, I glue a length of aileron stock as a wedge to remove dihedral. Of course you'll also need to modify or replace the wing joiner to allow the wing to lay flat. Inverted flight will be a bit easier as will knife edge and stall turns. Since you already have a "stock" wing, why not go for it and judge for yourself.