Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Tower codes discount #2 complaint

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Tower codes discount #2 complaint

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Skribnod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower codes discount #2 complaint

Instead of continueing the tower codes discount thread I am making a new thread as to a complaint I recently voiced with Tower Hobbies. I have had great success and very pleasent experiences with tower hobbies for the last 9 months. My complaint is concerning a telephone conversation I had with them this month. After waiting 4 months for a back order---re-order ---backorder part that did eventually come in last week I asked a very simple question to the operator wich she could not answer. My question was " Why after spending over $7000.00 in the last 9 months with them why I dont get the same offers the new accounts get and the inactive or less used accounts get?" My flying buddy(he spent around $2000 in lat 9 months)received 2 emails back to back each month for the last 2 months for free shipping on orders over $50.00. Now being a member of the towers club I dont get free shipping untill after $150.00. Also why did my Girlfriend receive a free magazine and $20.00 off a order 0f $50.00 or more when she has only ordered once before and is not a club member? I told the operator it doesnt seem right I am a member of the toers club and have to spend $150+ to get free shipping and I also have to spend over $200 to get $20 off my order. After a lengthy conversation all she could say was maybe its a promotional thing to get people to buy stuff. Think im gonna cancell my towers account and start up a new one.......seems like you save more money by not buying very often and then you get better discounts and the more you buy the less you save.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:48 PM
tamccain

Default RE: Tower codes discount #2 complaint

I just wanted to make a warning. People have been sued over posts like this on message boards.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its called marketing. They have your business, they are trying to get people who don't do as much to do more!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Skribnod

tamccain........what are they going to sue me for?........voicing what is a known discusion with tower hobbies? Also why would they sue me? Your remark makes no sense.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Montague

You know, Tower's not the only mail order place out there. Just a thought.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:53 PM
tamccain

My point is that you have to watch what you say. Bashing a business can be grounds for a lawsuit, especially in a public forum.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Crashem

If Voicing a less then flattering opinion about a company (provided its the truth) is grounds for a law suit then You might as well shut RCU and all other forums down.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Montague

You can't get sued for recounting something that really happened. You also can't sued for saying you don't like a company. You can get sued for making assumptions about how a company does things like runs promotions IF you say it in a way that slanders the company.

It's a fine line, and I'm not a lawyer. (and just being a lawyer doesn't make you right either, ask 2 laywers, get 3 "legal opionions", after all).

I didn't see anything in the first post that crossed the line as I understand it, as far as being slander or anything like that, assuming the recounting of what the Tower employee said was accurate.

Btw, I do actually order stuff from Tower, though I usually look to other companies first. Tower is part of the Hobico/Great Planes/etc group. Tower is the retail end of the distrubtor for a lot of stuff out there, so every other hobby shop selling those products basically has to compete against their own supplier. It's a rough situation.

I'm not a member of their special "club", but I never pay shipping from Tower. If you look at the magazine ads, or their ad flyer, there is always a "$10 off $100" or some such special going on. Unless I need parts NOW, I can always wait for one. Usually there are several, some on the front page of their website. I compare the "deals" and pick the best of them. That discount is usually just enough to cover shipping plus a buck or two. ie, "free shipping".
Old 05-20-2004, 04:16 PM
bryris

Libel suits are VERY VERY VERY difficult to win. You aren't going to get sued. Don't worry about it.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Maelstrom

Hey Francis:
I haven't ordered much in the last few months, and I have not become a member at Tower Hobbies, but when I placed my last order last week (web site) I had the option of entering a promotional code which gave me a $20.00 discount. The promotional code was in the homepage. I don't know if this appears in your computer if you become a member, or what the limitations are (once a month? one per household? not for members??), but how about splitting your next $7000 purchase into 35 $200 purchases, getting $20 off on each one, and free shipping for being a member? Not likely, I guess.

BTW, you are spending way too much money on this hobby!! (envy, here)

Luis
Old 05-20-2004, 04:29 PM
dolsen

It's all buisness......they are just trying to bring in new customers. I think your being a tower member gets you offers for specials that I don't get. All companies run special promos with the intent to draw new sales. You can bad mouth there sales and service all you want and wont get sued ( as long as it is all truthful). There a big company and did not get there by treating there customers badly.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:07 PM
mtomas

While I understand your frustrations, remember the operator is just a call center employee that most likely makes minimum wage and is certainly not "looped in" on the corporate strategy. The question you posed is certainly worthwhile, however, it was impossible for her to answer. Maybe try submitting your comments via email? Perhaps your question will get forwarded to someone who can actually provide you with a legitimate response.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:13 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

It's called free speech. As long as you don't make up stories you are fine. BASH AWAY!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:22 PM
davidinmi

Anyone want to offer up that code for $20 off on $50. I heard about it at the flying field last weekend, but couldn't find any sign of it. Placed my $57 order any way.

++++++++++++++
typo
Old 05-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Skribnod

Hi all , thanks for the reply's on the forum. First off I would like to express that I did not intend to flame or bash Tower Hobbies in any way and the conversation I had with one of the operator did actually and evidentially happen in the manner I stated. I like tower hobbies and have had excellent service with them and will continue to use them as my main supplier in the future. My only "gripe" is that , why should a "new" customer get better priceing and better deals than a long time or a higher volume customer gets? I can see the point of drawing in new customers but if you add it up the new customer gets a better deal. I called towers again today and asked the operator about the "code number" for a non-member. She said it could be used in conjunction with the "5 ways to save " program. So actually they save $20 plus anywhere from $5-$25 depending on thier order size. I wasnt aware you could use more than 1 promotional add at time but I guess you are,unless she was mistaken. I have the flyer still with the code number so if I want something I suppose I could have my GF order it and save anyway. My beef is with the way the "new" customers or customers who order every so often get "specials". By the way just curious as to how much any of you have spent in the last year from towers? Just a rough estimate will do and then how many "special" deals like the one above have you been given? Also the only benefit I see from being a towers member is you get free shipping on $150.00+ orders and you can buy off the scratch and dent specials. By the way I had 42 orders over the 9 month period and used the "promotional codes"to get things a little cheaper.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Wingnut - inactive

I was a member of tower's club last year, only placed one order, got stuff all the time with "special" promotions.
Personally, I have a hobby shop here that I use for my main supplier. I find it much more satisfactory to support a local business. Somthing about walking in the store and all the guys know you and say; "hey, hows it going" and "what've you been working on lately?"
plus, you feel a lot better about going there to ask for help if you bought the stuff there.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: Skribnod
My question was " Why after spending over $7000.00 in the last 9 months with them why I dont get the same offers the new accounts get and the inactive or less used accounts get?"
If you take your business elsewhere, they're hoping it's to OmniModels!

Seriously, many many businesses do the same thing (offer incentives to new customers or infrequent customers), and I don't think it's in any way unethical. If you want to rant, rant about the cell phone business. Talk about screwing your current customers!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:39 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I had an experience with Tower too...actually a couple. Anyway, I ordered a prop that was marked with the check mark for their Parts Express service. A 12x4 I think it was. Anyway it came in the usual brown envelope, no bid deal. THEN I went back to the site to order a 13x6 and some other little gizmo, a Voltwatch I think. Anyway, the 13x6 was not PE eligible. NO check mark. The shipping envelope is PLENTY big enough for the 13x6...RIGHT. Well I called too and talked with an operator. She said that if something was small enough to fit in the envelope that it could be shipped at the reduced rate (Parts Express). I asked why the 13x6 was not eligible for the reduced rate, as I was sure it would FIT in the envelope. She asked me to hold for a minute while she looked the item in question up...and then...she said NO PROBLEM. The 13x6 COULD be shipped at the reduced rate. Even though it was'nt marked with the little check on the website. SO the moral is, ASK...and you will recieve (sometimes).

As for that $20 off of an order of $50...anyone want to share that code if you have it?