Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

After trainer......

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

After trainer......

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Teresa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After trainer......

I have a Kadet LT-40 and hubby has a Hangar 9 Xtra Easy my question is I have spent the winter filling up our hangar but really don't think we are ready to fly anything we have yet. I have added a Dazzler, a .40 A-6 Texan, a 4*40, a .60 Edge 540, a .60 P-51 Mustang, a .60 Cub.

Any suggestions on something that falls inbetween a trainer and some of these planes????
Old 05-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Flightfreak777

Default RE: After trainer......

Iwent to an easy sport for my 2nd, great flying plane lands just like my avistar did

~Matt

Damn nice hanger btw... yeesh...
Old 05-23-2004, 06:48 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teresa,
First, welcome to RCU. It's a great place with a lot of good people (sorta like RC flying in general), and you'll get some terrific answers.

The Four Star 40 (4* 40) is a GREAT second plane, it has very docile flight characteristics and you should enjoy flying it. Drag it out and give it a try. If you're nervous about it, get someone else to take a flight and trim it out.

Flying taildraggers IS a bit different than tricycle gear, so read through the thread that I've shown a link for; should explain things pretty well.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1793955

Good luck, and have fun!
Dennis-
Old 05-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Teresa

I have a Kadet LT-40 and hubby has a Hangar 9 Xtra Easy my question is I have spent the winter filling up our hangar but really don't think we are ready to fly anything we have yet. I have added a Dazzler, a .40 A-6 Texan, a 4*40, a .60 Edge 540, a .60 P-51 Mustang, a .60 Cub.

Any suggestions on something that falls inbetween a trainer and some of these planes????
The 4*40 will make an excellent 2nd plane. I would leave the warbirds for your 4th or 5th planes. Once you can handle the 4*40, I would say its pretty close between the Dazzler and the 540.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:27 PM
CP140

From your hangar, I'd say move on to the 4 Star...it lands as slow as the LT40 and is almost as easy to fly...just quite a bit more responsive... the other option might be a Tiger 2 from Goldberg...not much to choose between them really(that last comment is going to incite an electronic riot or two!)

BTW are all your planes ready to go...if yes, that's going to make some people mighty jealous...starting with me...I'm only up to 4 ready to fly, one on the bench and one on order.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Teresa

Yes they are all ready to fly..........but only the Xtra Easy and LT-40 have been flown, the rest are all brand new with new engines and new flight packs, just waiting to go. I also ordered the Seagull .40 PC-9 today, looks like it might be a good 2nd or 3rd plane. Hubby may not want to fly the Four Star 40 since I put some girly graphics on it and have a Power Puff Girl for a pilot.

Some of the guys in the club are envious of my hubby since he does little except fly them. I have bought most of them and assembled them or hired out the assembly.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:56 PM
mtomas

Teresa - I recommend going with the 4* for your second plane. I moved from my trainer to a 4* and couldn't have been happier. In some aspects, I think the 4* is actually easier to fly than a trainer. It tracks better and it is much more responsive to control inputs. It also has a much more "solid" feel.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:07 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to go cheap and stay with a trike the World Models Super Sports 40 is excellent. With a glassed wing center section and enough power it's highly aerobatic, but will slow down like a trainer to land. All for under a hundred bucks! can't beat it, IMHO.

Andy
Old 05-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Teresa

Well my Four Star and the Texan both flew, and flew well last night....yippee!!!!!!! Ok, no "I" did not fly them but they flew. Looks like the Four Star might be the next stepping stone since it seemed to come in nice and slow even in a medium wind. The Texan on the other hand, I think it needs to go back on the shelf for awhile.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:26 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a wise choice Teresa.

And Welcome to RCU!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:38 PM
prebres
My Feedback: (7)

The 4* is a fantastic plane. The Tiger 2 is also a great second plane and can beconverted to a taildragger.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:13 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Congrats on the maiden flights. Does your husband KNOW how LUCKY he is?
Old 05-25-2004, 03:20 PM
bhole74

I also think you will find the Dazzler very similar to the 4*. It is very responsive yet stable, even at walking speed, but won't right itself. Have fun.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Teresa

I think my husband is aware of how lucky he is.....since he is reminded rather frequently by the rest of the guys at the field........but will never admit it.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:33 PM
DBCherry

I think you'll do fine with the 4* Teresa.

I do wish my wife was interested in flying. She's very supportive of my interest in it, but has no desire personally. I guess that's better than having her complain about MY interest!

By the way, if you get too many planes ahead and are ever looking for something to do, I've got a couple oof kits stacking up and could use a builder.
Dennis-
Old 05-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Teresa

I am kinda slow on the kit building. I guess it is because you don't see progress very quickly, I tend to take lots of breaks. But give me an ARF and I have a tendency to go start to finish nonstop.