Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

which plane to fly (or crash)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

which plane to fly (or crash)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 07:34 AM
A10-warthog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which plane to fly (or crash)

I'm new to the RC flying world and I'm not sure which plane I should buy to start with. I would like to start with an electric plane, these 3 from "hobby-lobby" look real neat to me :
Graupner minipiper
Wingo
Graupner tipsy

Does anyone have experience with these planes? They all seem to have their own advantages/disadvantages. Judging on the looks, I really like the minipiper, but it seems like a fast 1 to me...maybe to fast for a beginner. And I dont think it's very strong either. The tipsy looks somewhat like a sailplane, so that could be good for flying slow. And then there is that odd looking wingo..

Thansk for anyone who can give me advice!
Old 06-28-2003, 12:46 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Since you are in Europe I would suggest almost anything from Graupner as you are close to the manufacturer. Hobby Lobby is a good reliable US firm and is the US distributor for Graupner, I think. My personal preference would be the Tipsy. The design is good but then so is the Wingo. Your personal preference will have to be made on what you're looking for. Real airplane appearance or model appearance. I have several Graupner motors and some other products. They're good. Electrics are fun and they are quiet. Be sure to find some local RC pilots and ask them for flying instruction. You can be self taught but it might cost you a few models to find out what a good instructor can teach you in one day.
Welcome to the most fun you can have while standing on the ground.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:11 PM
A10-warthog

Thanks for the information,
I think I will buy that Tipsy, it looks like a very good plane to me. Also liked the review about it here on rcairport. It's true I'm in the good place to buy Graupner products here in europe, I just have to find a store that sells the whole package like hobby-lobby does.
I was first planning to try it on my own, but maybe that's indeed not the best idea. I've got a flying field just nearby, too bad they don't accept any more members at the moment because it's full. But I can still learn some things there I guess.
I'm really looking forward to my first flying experience, it's something completely different than my current RC hobby : cars.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:15 PM
A10-warthog

oops, another reply in the mean time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I didnt think of that colour, something I would only think about when the plane is already in the air. It's not easy to pick 1, but I guess they are all good. I could consider painting the Tipsy if the grey really seems to be a problem.
I'll also check that simulator...thank you
Old 06-28-2003, 05:39 PM
ballgunner

The use of color on models is a very misunderstood phenomenon. If you are flying larger glow powered aircraft at a distance you will find that most colors make little difference. At the distance most of us fly park flyers and other small electrics color does make a difference. Be careful when you think about painting a small model. Weight is all important as size decreases and paint is heavy. For instance by not painting a B-17 the weight saving was 122# so more NMF, natural metal finish, became the norm. Think of the proportional effect on an airplane that only has a wing loading of 4 to 5 oz. Even if your local club is "closed" surely someone will be kind enough to encourage a newcomer to RC flight. Remember park flyers are just that. I fly my GWS Slow Stick in the street in front of the house in the evening when there's no wind.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:58 PM
A10-warthog

nice, I didnt know that was the reason why they didnt paint the B17

I've ordered the wingo package yesterday, I hope I'll get it soon. I'll post something here after my first flight.

thx for the help
Old 07-02-2003, 01:02 PM
csisfun

aaaaa! u western dudes get those 4 engined RC planes!!!
waaaaaaaaa!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 02:17 PM
timfly1

gET THE wINGO, flys good fixes very very easy.
I know
Old 07-12-2003, 02:55 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an Aerobird and I love it. I have been flying for only three months and have essentially learned to fly on my own. This plane can take a lot of punnishment.

Resources Aerobird
Here is an internet site that sells the Aerobird. They also have a
link for a video of the plane flying:
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/aerobird.html

Sky Scooter Pro

My alternative plane was the Sky Scooter Pro II. In the US it is a ready do fly package for about $160 so
you might want to give it serious consideration.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/Pro2.htm

Videos
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/videos.htm

If you want to read reviews of planes, try this link:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews.asp

Old 07-14-2003, 06:36 AM
A10-warthog

thanks for the info aeajr, but I got my plane now : it's the wingo. I will keep it in mind when anyone else asks for advice.

I've tried to fly the wingo 2 times now. The first time I tried to start it from the ground, but the grass was too long and I couldnt take off. By the time I figured out I should try and hand launch it, the battery was empty. The wind was also a bit too strong that day though (yesterday). Today I've made another attempt and with some success. I've hand launched it every time and that went well. Problem was the climb was too steep, I think the problem is the center of gravity, I'm gonna try to add some weights at the front next time... It stalled every time without me touching the controller, adjusting the radio didnt help that much. But I've managed to fly some time, about 15 seconds every time and then I went down. 2 rather good landings, 1 hard crash in a tree (wingo really is strong...hardly a scratch) and the last 1 was a rather hard landing on the ground. This last landing broke off the wheels, so I couldnt continue flying. No problem to fix it with some epoxy though, it's just a part that came of...it didnt really break anything.
I think I've learned some things with these first flight attempts and I'm eager to get it back in the air asap.

Thanks for helping me choose a model, I'm happy with the wingo.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:53 PM
ballgunner

Your Wingo is one fine model and I'm glad you're happy with it. It is one of the few aircraft I would even think of letting a beginner go at alone. There are many Wingo imitations but you can't beat the real thing. Try to adjust the center of gravity by shifting the battery until the model balances at the point suggested by the manufacturer.
I don't recall how the battery is held in place, just be sure it can't shift when you have it in the right place. When you get to a certain point in your flying skills you won't be satisfied with one short flight per day. If you have a good battery charger, either home current or DC from your car battery try to take the plunge for a couple more batteries. When you arrive at the field you will then have at least three flights to look forward to. I have a field charger, DC that works off a car battery. I have one in the air, one on charge and one cooling after charge. I can fly all day any day that the wind isn't too ferocious. In any case I'm really very pleased with your progress.
I know that we are one people divided by a common language. I believe you call auto batteries accumulators or some such. To me that means a hydraulic reservoir. Oh well. I'm really quite pleased to hear of your progress.
Keep in touch.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:10 PM
aeajr

A10-warthog

Congratulations on your new Wingo. Glad to hear you are making progress.

A CG that is off just a little bit can really make a plane fly badly. If you are guessing, make it a little nose heavy. A tail heavy plane is really tough to control and yours sounds tail heavy. There should be info in the instruction book on how to find the CG.

A friend recommended this to help with balancing planes. Says he loves it. $22
The Great Planes CG machine. I just ordered one.
CG Machine

Only add weight as a last resort. Move the battery and the receiver first if you can. Shift them around to balance the plane. Even go to a larger battery pack long term. If you need weight up front, at least make it work for you.

I have never flown a wingo, but if there is an adjustment for the horozontial stab, check the manual for adjustmet recommendations. My Aerobird has adjustments at the tail that can fix the what you describe which is called porposing. The plane climbs, nose up, then stalls, drops the nose and does it over again. CG too far back, or stab with too much up. This has nothing to do with the moveable elevator, we are talking about the fixed part which will then put the elevator at the wrong angle.

If you haven't seen these Wingo videos, you will love them. I hope you have a high speed connection.

Wingo Pylon racing:
Pylon racing

Photo Gallery - Wingo Building - tips and useful info
Wingo building site

A review of the wingo. Might have some useful tips if you haven't seen it.
wingo review

I didn't mention it in my Aerobird review above, but the Wingo was my third choice. I really think it is a neat plane. I hope you and your Wingo have many happy flights together.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:26 AM
A10-warthog

Hello,

I've tried making the CG right by moving the battery and it seems to work. It's not hard to move it, because it's fastened with velcro.
Anyway, with the CG better I've gone flying yesterday. The wind seemed to be ok when I left home, but when I arrived at the flying field it was really bad. But since it was coming from 1 direction, I decided to give it a try. I had some serious problems at first because it wouldnt get in the air when I threw it, it crashed/landed after 2 seconds each time. Problem was (I think) I was throwing it along the wind direction, so I tried it into the wind. That worked a lot better! For the first time I had a real flight sensation. It didnt go fast at all into the wind (it almost stayed at the same place, moving up and down) but that was nice. When it went far enough, I turned off the motor and I let it glide with the wind in my direction. This I could repeat and it was real fun.
So I hope I got the settings right now and I'm waiting for the wind to calm down. I'm happy with the spot I've found to fly at. It's not good to land, since the grass is too long, but then I have less risk damaging the plane.

I will try to find another battery pack for some longer flights, shouldnt be hard to get at the local store.

greetings

*btw : nice building gallery, wish I had found that before I made the plane. But it worked well after all. Nice pylon racing movies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Still need a lot of practice for that though, hehe
Old 07-16-2003, 05:37 PM
mfjarvind69

Hi,
I am new to this hobby and I bought an aerobird. I tried hand launching and it crashed, then I tried a rolling take-off and it took forever to get off the ground and then crashed. It keeps going to the left. Checked the ailerons on the V-shaped rear wing . They are fine. Any suggestions about whether this is a proper plane to start with?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:43 PM
ballgunner

Mfjarvind in CO. The Aerobird is a good airplane to learn on. It is even easier with a little instruction. Someone at your field should surely be able give you a hand up. As it comes there are usually no problems with the line ups on your airplane. Check to see if the motor was knocked of its original setting during the first crash. If the bird consistently turns in one direction or another it is probably motor alignment if the wing and tail surfaces are as original. A warped wing could also cause the problem. Any part of the control surfaces or motor alignment can cause your problem. Check everything and you may find more than one problem. All has to be as originally designed or you will fly in directions you can only imagine.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:31 AM
aeajr

<hr>Originally posted by: mfjarvind69
Hi,
I am new to this hobby and I bought an aerobird. I tried hand launching and it crashed, then I tried a rolling take-off and it took forever to get off the ground and then crashed. It keeps going to the left. Checked the ailerons on the V-shaped rear wing . They are fine. Any suggestions about whether this is a proper plane to start with?<hr>

1) Check the tail moveable surfaces with the battery in the plane and the radio on. They should line up with the fixed parts

2) Make sure you have not moved the trim slides that are to the left and below the stick. They should be centered. If not, you crash.

3) ALWAYS LAUNCH INTO THE WIND! ALWAYS!

4) don't hand launch the model up, launch it our straight. Toss it up and you will crash. I have never launched off the groudn because we have a grass field, so can't comment here.

5) make sure the wing is on straight.

those are the major items I would check on a new plane.