Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Lost novice on a small budget

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Lost novice on a small budget

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 04:54 AM
ski_bum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost novice on a small budget

I recently became interested in the arcane realm of RC flying.

I am 15 years old, have a very limited budget, and live in Alaska. I would like to try RC flying as a small hobby (3-7 times a month for maybe 1:30 mins). I have speant about seven hours researching the subject to try to become familiar with concepts and terms, but I understandably have a big pile of questions that I would like to ask:

1. Price - I don't work and can't spend very much money on this hobby. What is a "realistic" amount of money that is necessary to (A) be introduced to flying (B) to sustain it (maintainance)?

2. Learning to Fly - How difficult is it to learn to fly? How necessary is an instructor? What are the trade offs with teaching yourself?
Also, I am a student pilot (my dad is a certified pilot), learning to fly in a Cessna 172, and have more or less completed a self study ground school. This included a lot on flight dynamics. How relevent is this skill and knowledge?

3. Planes - Some of this will probably be covered in "Price". I have been looking around and have come across several cheap trainers, such as the "Firebird 2", "JK Aerotech T52", and "Skyscooter". What do you think of these three and what would you suggest as an introductory plane that is cheap? Should it be electric or gas? How many channels will suffice?

4. Clubs - call me a xenophobe if you wish, but I would prefer to do this hobby on my own. How important is being part of a club? What are the costs? What are the benefits? Is the way to join to simply call one out of the blue and inquire about RC flying?

5. Locations - Living in Anchorage, finding a place to fly would be rather difficult. I would like to fly at my house, but my yard is like 2 acres with trees and houses on every side. The best place i know of is a middle school football field within biking distance (i can't drive, still another year) but even that isn't very big. But is it big enough? What does the FAA and other agencies say about RC planes?

Phew, thats a lot of questions. That about sums up my curiosity. I would like to fiund out the most possible before spending any money. Thank you very much for reading my post and answering any of the questions.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:43 PM
BingoFlyer

ski_bum,

I began flyin R/C when I was 15 also but that was almost 50 years ago and equipment was not as reliable as it is today (it was also much more expensive) I did have a small income from a paper route.

Let me try to answer your questions in order.

1. A realistic price range for your equipment including plane and engine would be $250- $350 depending on plane and radio selection. (you could do better by buying used).

2. It is possible to teach youself to fly but NOT RECOMMENDED. If you MUST teach yourself try an electric powered glider such as Great Planes Spectra.

3. I am not familiar with the planes you mentioned but would recommend an engine powered trainer over electric and would also make sure it is of the flat bottom, high wing design (LT-40,
Tower Hobbies Trainer, etc.). Get as large as you can afford (large flies better and is easier to see).

4. Again, while joining a club is not a neccessity it is also recommended. You will be able to get a lot of help and they will have an instructor to teach you how to fly ( this will save you money). Used equipment may also be available through club members.

5. The club will have a field for flying.

6. The club will require that you belong to the AMA for insurrance purposes. Your local hobby shop should be of help finding a club and with AMA application.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:42 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Learning to fly by yourself will be very expensive, once you add in the cost of repairs. If you really want to save money, you can take several steps without spending a dime.
First, go to your Local Hobby Shop, (look for one that specializes in R/C) ask them where the nearest club is. Go out to the field on a nice weekend when there are lots of people there and introduce yourself (they won't bite, in fact, they are usually VERY willing to help). Often, they will have a plane that you can try your hand at before making a commitment.

Once you try it, then YOU decide how valuable an instructor with a "Buddy Box" is, and how much money you're willing to put up in the air without one.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:48 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Hello Ski Bum! I started flying when I was around 15. I had a futaba Attack 4 AM radio, a Hobbico Avistar trainer, and a magnum .46 pro engine. Total price was around $400. Of course I wasn't able to get all that at once. I bought one piece at a time, waited for birthdays and Christmas. I guess one of the most important things is patience.. dont try to hurry and get something that will not suit you, and definatly dont buy a plane based on how cool it looks! Wait for your 2nd plane for a cool one There has been lots of arguments on how many channels you need to start with, but with a budget such as yourself, I'd go with a 4 channel. I actually lived in Anchorage for a summer (really cool place) and I saw a couple of places to fly a plane......2 acres is definatly not enough.....Best advice I could give you is to go to this website : http://www.alaskarc.org/
find one that is close to you (yes my parents took me to fly rc when I couldn't drive) These people have tons of extra equipment that they would sell you for dirt cheap to get you started. I would not recommend trying to learn to fly by yourself.....that's expensive and takes too long Even if you just went and took a couple of lessons from more experienced flyers and then went out on your own!

Go here for a free r/c simulator for your computer:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index.html

you will only be able to use your keyboard, but cool nontheless. WHen you get a controller, you can purchase a cord that goes from your computer to your controller for $19..just go to the forums on that page.....
Old 07-10-2002, 04:50 PM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Ski Bum. Glad to see you are interested in the hobby. You have gotten some excellent advice in the above posts and I hope you heed it, especially the part about visiting the local shops and clubs to get HELP. It can be the difference from starting out in a fun, rewarding hobby, or spending way to much time and money and always having broken stuff to fix, without getting to fly!. I would also like to add that about 3 years ago I was up there in Anchorage and visited some of the local Hobby shops that carry R/C supplies. As I recall, they were well stocked, and run by pretty knowledgeable and nice guys. I also met some of the local R/C flyers there and visited two of the club fields in your area. I know you mentioned a desire to go it alone, but I can assure you that the guys and gals I met at the local fields were a top-notch bunch that made me (a visitor from the lower 48!) feel very much at home. Hopefully you will get a chance to meet them as well.

Good Luck,

Lee
Old 07-10-2002, 05:25 PM
ski_bum

Thanks for the responses!

Unfortunately $400 is really too much for me. I really want to limit investment in this to begin with.

This led me to the Firebird 2 that i have read some reviews for, and includes everything for $90. It is bare bones, low quality stuff, but if the plane is desiged anything like an Airhog, it should be able to take quite a beeting (all you with Airhogs now what I'm talking about :-). This Firebird 2 has only 2 channels, just rudder and power I think.

Is this enough to get started with?

It is as cheap as I kind find, and i don't really care right now about the quality of the equipment.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:28 PM
tmproff

The only problem i see is that with only 2 channels (which will be elevator and rudder) you are going to grow out of it really quick. Before you go and purchase new equipment, I'd take that $90 and see if someone at an r/c field will sell you a plane and receiver for $90. If someone like you came to me, I'd be happy to do whatever it took to get them flying.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:36 PM
FlyingZee

Default save a bit more

Ski_Bum,

All the above advice is very true. I, like you, don't care for strangers often times. However, The people I have met in the hobby have been great.

As for cost...that $90 will be lost or even a waste. I got in the air for $175 with some used equipment. Before I did that, I took lessons for a month on an old trainer that my instructor had. I think you would like doing the club thing. Think about it for a second. You are working on getting your pilots liscense, so you obviously have a passion for flying. MOST of the people in my club are or were pilots. Many still have planes and take me up from time to time. You get some good stories as well and a LOT of good knowledge from these guys.

The point is, there is NO downside to meeting these people. AT LEAST go meet some of them.

Zee
Old 07-10-2002, 08:05 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Ski_bum,

My advice for you is to go visit some clubs and talk to some of the people there. Someone will have a trainer plane RTF (ready to fly) with radio, etc in their garage gathering dust.

Since I joined our club last year, I've talked to people who have, literally, 17 planes or more in their garage. They've accumulated them over time (just as you will), but never fly most of them.

They've sold some of these packages for $150 or less. I bought my girlfriend a plane, engine, radio RTF (in fact, we flew it that day to test it) for $160. I didn't have to do a thing to make it fly except add gas. This guy had other planes with radios for less.

It may not be perfect, but it'll get you off the ground and on your way. The people at the club will also help you get going so that you don't turn your limited budget into a pile of balsa dust.

Remember too, that you will have to accumulate "field equipment": Starter (I don't recommend a beginner hand start), fuel, glow plug igniter, etc. This too, is also stuff you can buy used. You can save an incredible amount of money by buying someone's used equipment.

Please, take the time to have someone train you. You are not the first beginner to show up at a club. They are used to it. Many of them really like to help the new people. Then when you are a good pilot, you can go out and fly where you want on your own.

Good luck and welcome to the "club".

Mike
Old 07-10-2002, 11:50 PM
ski_bum

I keep going back and forth on this matter. I found a club in Anchorage called the Alaska Radio Control Society and I thought I would send an e-mail to them with questions. One problem is that their listed flight fields are in Palmer and Eagle River, About 45 and 90 minutes away, too far to be pratical when having to bum rides off a sister.

As I think about it I feel like what I would like right now is something very small that I could fly around my back yard or in the street and learn the basics of RC flying on. Then if I liked that, move up into full size planes (especially after I can drive). I have heard references to "back yard flyers", "indoor flyers, and "micro RC", but haven't seen any planes that would suit this role. Do you guys know of some types of planes or companies that make very small RC planes that fly in small spaces, such as yards?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:29 AM
FlyingZee

Default Small Planes

I am a fair newbie, but I know there are several smaller planes that you can fly in your yard. However, as you get smaller, things tend to get MORE expensive. They have to make the electronics smaller and lighter. There is a plane caled a Butterfly (I don't know who makes it) that is a fully aerobatic park flyer. After you get all that you need to into it (batteries, chargers, small servos, etc) it ends up costing you the same as an average 40-sized trainer. Also, I would tend to think that they can be a bit delicate.

Have you looked at a Zagi? I have seen and heard great things from these. I know 2 guys who learned without instruction using one of these. I think you should be able to get in the air with fairly inexpensive equipment for around $200 (cheaper if you get used charger and radio). This is a foam flying wing that uses a pusher prop. I have heard stories of people flying into telephone poles and picking it up and tossing it back in the air. (I have also heard stories of people having to pay someone to get it out of a tree).

Just some thoughts.

Zee

(to quote out club president...a good landing is one where you only have to bend over once to pick up your plane.)
Old 07-11-2002, 01:52 PM
Fastsky

Default getting started

I under stand your predicament. I have a friend that wants to learn to fly RC. I can teach him but his family schedule keeps him very busy. Has a trainer but wants to try flying from his back yard. He bought a small electric Cub to learn on. Unfortunatly these small light planes are very fragile. While just practising taxiing, the landing gear is starting to come apart. From the ones I have seen at our field, they can only be flown in light winds. To learn on your own with something that can be repaired easily and inexpensively I would suggest a plane called an Armadillo. Best of luck, Fast!
Old 07-11-2002, 03:51 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

I think it's time for a SPAD to the the bone, the plane (do it yourself) costs about $30 all you need is the electronics (try the used-ware forums at the bottom) and the engien, I guess you could build a SPAD (coroplast plane very toguh) for a .25 engine so your cansumable are low.
I think the web address is:
www.spadtotehbone.com or the armadillo
Regards,
Patrick
Old 07-12-2002, 03:46 AM
ski_bum

Fastsky:

Who makes this Armadillo? I can't find it on the internet with just Armadillo
Old 07-12-2002, 03:57 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Default A'I'rmadillo

Here's the first hit from Google:http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/KitReviews/ArmK40.html
Old 07-12-2002, 03:01 PM
AirplaneDan98

Ski_bum,

I to am young (17) and know how expensive things can be. Based on what you're interested in (price, learning to fly, size of field, etc.) I think the Firebird II or the Sky Scooter would be a good choice. I can't personally recommend them because I've never flown them, but I've heard good things about both. If you want to teach yourself, I think you should get the Firebird II as it's a little easier to fly. But if you could get to the nearest flying field once or twice for a little training, I think you'd be ok with the Sky Scooter.

Another option is to try gliders for a while. That's how my mentor taught himself to fly. This would cost you more than the Sky Scooter, but is worth considering.

Whatever you choose, I wish you luck. Let us know what you choose and how you make out. Dan
Old 07-12-2002, 04:39 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The parkflyer idea to learn to fly is OK and a workable method but if the Firebird is the airplane I think it is then its a decidedly bad idea and we will probably loose you to the sport. If it is that little 280 motored 'V' tail pusher then yes. it has two channels but not rudder and elevator. Instead is has speed control and rudder but not in the usual sense. For directional imput it only applys up ruddervator on one side at a time which turns it but also causes a pitch up which has to be counteracted with throttle.

I have flown a number of these things for people who bring them to the field And while yes it is easy to learn to fly them in big swooping circles they bear no similarity to any conventional A/C and you will be no closer to flying anything else than you were to start with.

If you want to fly park flyers on that two acres, great get involved With people in the know (that means a club) before you spend a dime otherwise you are just wasting your time.

John
Old 07-12-2002, 06:07 PM
ski_bum

I really am interested in this hobby, but the price remains a problem. The Firebird II is the cheapest everything included plain.

The problem with small, 3+ channel slow flyers is that they are MORE expensive than a full size glow powered plane. Planes like fully equipt IFO is upwards of $250, while a fully equipt, glow powered T52 is $116.

JohnBuckner, you've scared me off from buying anything just yet. Unfotunately this whole thing is getting very frustrating!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:09 PM
tmproff

Stop trying to make this decision by yourself (you're only going to get frustrated). It would be very helpful to go talk to someone at a near field about how much you have to spend. (I'm sure there is a closer field than 75 miles away)

After taking a close look at the firebird II, I believe you will grow out of it really quick/get bored with it. It would be in your best interests in looking at a full blown trainer (4 channels). Heck, for the price of shipping, I'll send you an attack 4 am controller/receiver for free! All you would need is servos and a battery. Not sure how good the battery is in the Transmitter, but like I said...its free
Old 07-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

I think you should try to get your Dad interested in the hobby as well. Since he is a certified pilot, he may help with the expense.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Mike James

Default RC flying

I live in Anchorage and belong to ARCS. (the AMA club - "Anchorage Radio Control Society) The monthly meeting is the first Tuesday of every month, at Bell's Nursery, at 7:30 PM. The URL for the web site is above, in these posts.

I've attached an image of the person who won the monthly "Pretty Plane" contest, which occurs at the meeting. He's your age or younger!

I can guarantee you that if you show up at the meeting, describe your situation, and ask for help, you will receive it. There are over 300 members, with around 175 active paying members.

There's also a club flying field right on Elmendorf Air Force base. Come on out, meet some people, and have some fun in RC!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17497_2519.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	10961  
Old 07-13-2002, 12:07 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ski no one here is trying to scare or confuse you. I think what everybody is trying to get accross is you need a mentor and that mentor can take the form of a friend with experiance, hangin at a local hobby shop or a club. This or these mentors will be the key to your success, to avoid this fellowship is a mistake.

Let me tell you a little story. As a Young boy of 10 in the middle fiftys, My father who operated a small film lab would once a week take me into Hollywood and drop me off at a hobby shop when he went over to Eastman to buy filmstocks. This was a wonderous old house on Hollywood Blvd. that had a strange oder of banana and what seemed the tallest palm tree in the world growing literally out the front door. It was filled with fantastic things. Everything from a fifteen foot model of the China Clipper that was built for the movie of the same name back in the thirtys to kits of electric pieces that could be soldered together that would if you were lucky would actually remotely control an airplane for a few commands.

Now to the very best part. Behind the store was a lean to shed and frequently occupied by an old man with a funny accent in dirty coveralls. He would spend hours in there with a homemade prop lathe carving out prop blanks to sell in the store for 15 cents each. Every week I took to spending more and more time with this man and he singlehandedly managed instill a love of aircraft and the hobby like no other could have and this was without ever leaving that shop! I still owe that gentleman and will be forever thankfull. Many years later I discovered who he was. His name was Reginald Denny and he was a very well known english actor of the time. He owned the shop and would pop over from the old Sam Goldwyn studios during shooting breaks and rather than work the counters he would carve blanks in the shed were all the kids would hang.

My apologys for the digression Ski but the whole point is find that mentor don,t hide from him you can do it.

Also you were missing the point a number of the responders were trying to make and that is by getting involved in that club you can get setup for far less cost than you think but it isn,t going to happen unless you get involved and a lot will be predicated on the kind of attitude and enthusiasm you demonstrate. You will find this sport filled likeminded people who would like nothing better but to pass 'it' on wittness Tiproff's offer above.

I wish you the best of luck and if you succeed, Just pass 'it' on.
John
Old 07-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

Hello,
I went thru the same thing.I have gone thru 2 Firebirds, and while there very fun once you see a real(glow fuel)plane you will want to graduate to one.
I did teach myself to fly the Firebird in 2 days,but moving up to glow fuel will require an instructor.
I put together a SturdyBirdy II for about $225.
Plane New Towerhobbies $90
Motor used OS 40 $35 Ebay
Radio Skysport 4 channel $100 shipped here on RCU
I havent flown yet but I'm pretty much ready to go.All I have to do is pay my local club fees and I'm ready.Usually a club will provide you with an instructor.
So for the $ I paid for the 2 Firebirds I've gone thru I could've had a decent glow fuel plane.
Just remember your always gonna be needing extra parts and whatnot.
It's not too much fun w/ the Firebird if you only have 1 battery,and the wings and tail trash easily.plus losing the prop is pretty easy.
But I still fly my Firebird to this day.It's cool at like a schoolyard or any big open field.
Just a little bit of info to chew on.
Let us know what you decide,I'm in the same boat as you(little $).
late,
BONEz'
Old 07-17-2002, 12:17 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

There is an RC club in Anchorage that has a few IMAC pilots. I use to talk to one of the guys and I could not figure out what the flying season was. Try one of these contacts in Alaska

Alaska
Club# Club Name Contact Person Telephone E-mail Address 1 City, State, Zip Type
845 MIDNIGHT SUN RC INC JAMES A OWEN 907-457-8971 JOWEN@
PTLALASKA.NET PO BOX 790 FAIRBANKS AK 99707 RC
1015 RAINBIRD FLYERS TRACY B METTLER 907-225-3294 TMETTLER@
WORLDNET.ATT.NET 1306 WATER ST KETCHIKAN AK 99901-6153 RC
1303 PENINSULA MODELERS ASSOCIATION RUSSELL W ALLEN 907-283-4534 RALLEN@
ACSALASKA.NET PO BOX 659 KENAI AK 99611 RC
1573 GASTINEAU AEROMODELERS SOCIETY WILLIAM B MORRIS 907-789-9281 WOMORRIS@
GCI.NET 3725 QUARTZ ST JUNEAU AK 99801 RC
1967 ALASKAN MOSQUITOS RC ASSOC GARY P RUDE 907-274-3409 2567 ARLINGTON DR ANCHORAGE AK 99517-1304 RC
1998 ALASKA RADIO CONTROL SOCIETY* MARK S BENDERSKY 907-345-1173 MBENDERSKY@
GCI.NET PO BOX 232162 ANCHORAGE AK 99523-2162 RC
Old 07-17-2002, 11:12 AM
WRXlovr

I started out when i was 11 with a no name plane that was NOT easy to fly, a super tiger .90 in it and i had to teach myself how to fly.I have not had a real crash yet so if youre pretty good with a cessna it will pretty much show you the physics of rc flight and bla bla anyway,it would probably be better for you to join a club and buy a big used gas trainer and buddy box with someone.good luck
sorry if this post made no sense im really tried its like 3:30 in the morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.