Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Finding a B-17

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Finding a B-17

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 PM
p-51 killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a B-17

I am looking for a B-17 on the internet. I am over seas so I don't have english speaking hobby stores. Do any of you know a good web site where I can purchase a kit. I want to build it while I am learning to fly on my trainer.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finding a B-17

http://www.hobbybarn.com/airplanes_marutaka_kits.htm Give these guys a call, and see if they will ship to your location. The B-17 they have is a 78 inch wingspan. It's the second one in the list. Good luck, and blue skies.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I sure hope you're not planning to go from a trainer straight to a B-17! I can think of cheaper ways to get a box of toothpics...
Old 07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dittos to what SST just said. Might I suggest one of the better flying twin trainers such as the old hobbico twin star or the Northeast Aero Twin Air before even thinking about the quad.

There are things about operating a twin and more so a quad that goes way beyond just flying or for that matter engine outs (as important that is) that is absolutely vital. Things most don,t even think about. For instance just starting the engines on a quad can be very dangeous if the exact order and routine is not followed and worked out first. Also you have to think about your 'team'. A trained (by you) team is vital. The 85 inch, 14.5 lb quad in my avitar requires a minmun team of three to safely and successfully operate.

A jump straight from a trainer to a quad is a decidely bad idea. If this is not your intent then do forgive me, but it is important that this is said.

John
Old 07-15-2004, 12:25 PM
WingSpan Models

If you're still looking for a kit and plans for a B-17 I have a new design that are better than any set of plans on the market now. Take a look a this post of my plans.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1992674

Mike
Old 07-15-2004, 01:58 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,
Do you have a picture of the finished product? Also, how much and where can we buy them from? They look like extremely well made plans. Lots of detail which is what I like and need
Thanks for your time,
Joe
Old 07-15-2004, 08:10 PM
WingSpan Models

Hi Joe,

I am working on the proto type now and hope to have it done soon so that I can create a mold to make fiberglass fuse. I have three sizes a 1/6th for $150 WS 207", 1/9th for $75 WS 138", and a 1/12th for $50 WS 103" + shipping. I will have my web site up in about a month that will give a lot more detail.

Mike
Old 07-15-2004, 08:40 PM
iron eagel

The flying fortress is the third rc aircraft I ever flew. Mine was scratch built from a set of plans of the orginal B-17E with four .049 cox engines. May I sugest That you visit rcwarbirds.com and look at the bombers pages. Also keep in mind that flying a multi engine aircraft of any scale is much different that a single engine aircraft. A warbird is alot harder due to wing loading Top Flight seems to be a good choice for a kit good luck
Old 07-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Flightfreak777

shame they dont have like an ARF B-17 that ran on .25s that would be sa-weet!

~Matt