Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nitro Plane for Beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nitro Plane for Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:03 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Plane for Beginner

I'm currently learning to fly a Raptor 50 heli, and am thinking about trying planes too. I'm just starting to do some research, and it looks like a .40 sized trainer is what's primarily recommended for beginners. I've been looking at some trainers on this Tower Hobbies page...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...93p?&C=ACB&P=0

In particular, these...
Duraplane Trainer 40:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE586&P=0
Hobbico Sturdy Birdy II:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK965&P=0
Hobbico Avistar:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPY56&P=0
Hobbico Superstar:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK971&P=0
Sig Cadet LT-40:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFG19&P=0

Any comments, recommendations, or other suggestions? Are these DuraPlanes or Sturdy Birdy planes any good (are they really more rugged)? Looks like the Hobbico Avistar is the only one that has a semi-symmetrical airfoil for some aerobatics. I think I'd prefer a trainer with some aerobatic capability. I have the RealFlight G2 flight simulator to practice with, so I'm thinking I'd like to something a little more advanced than a flat-bottomed wing trainer. I'd like a plane I can learn on, yet not outgrow very quickly... is there such a plane?

Is it OK to put a .46LA engine in one of these .40 planes to get a little more power? Looks like the OS-40LA is 9.5oz and 1.0HP while the OS-46LA is only 9.6oz and puts out 1.2HP.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2004, 12:15 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Plane for Beginner

Do yourself a favour, get the 46FX and stay away from LAs. It will cost more but then in the long run you will realise why. LA is under powered compared with something like your 46FX or TT46.

All trainers are about the same. Go to the shop and get one that is sturdy, will take all the abuse you will dish out.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:23 AM
-pkh-

Looks like the OS-46FX is discontinued... OOOH, how about an OS-50SX??!! Will that work well in one of these .40 trainers? 1.8HP!
Old 07-12-2004, 01:58 AM
tIANci

The 46FX is discontinued huh ... guess that is why they have the 46AX. The 50SX is a nice engine, seen it run. It will be pretty powerful for your trainer but you can always run the engine slightly rich for the start to tame it a little. Go for the Thunder Tiger 46 PRO, its ok and reliable enough for a workhorse.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:28 AM
Woody 51

Yeah, the TT.46 is pretty much a .46 FX clone with the added advantge of having a proper chrome plated brass liner. They are a good, all round engine and cheaper.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:02 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the Thunder Tiger 46 PRO and the Avistar as a combo. I'd avoid the Duraplane. If you really want something that durable, build yourself a SPAD (there's a forum devoted to them).

You haven't mentioned where you"re flying the heli, or whether you have AMA membership or belong to a club. I'd highly recommend both if flying a plane (and at least AMA for the heli). Planes require a good, 10 acre site (minimum) without flying over houses, schools, parks, people or small domestic animals.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Dennis-
Old 07-12-2004, 08:12 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

I agree with the Thunder Tiger 46 PRO and the Avistar as a combo. I'd avoid the Duraplane. If you really want something that durable, build yourself a SPAD (there's a forum devoted to them).

You haven't mentioned where you"re flying the heli, or whether you have AMA membership or belong to a club. I'd highly recommend both if flying a plane (and at least AMA for the heli). Planes require a good, 10 acre site (minimum) without flying over houses, schools, parks, people or small domestic animals.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Dennis-
Dennis,

I'm and AMA member and have joined a club already. I started hovering in my back yard with my heli, moved on to a 4-acre or so field at a park,nearby, then found a nice club ~30mins away. I believe the club has guys that are trainers for plane newbs like me... if not, I'm sure one of them will help me out if I ask.

So TT engines are pretty good? They don't have a real good reputation for heli engines... the OS engines are the preferred ones. I have an OS-50SX-H in my Raptor 50V2.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:04 AM
hookedonrc

I started with the OS 46FX (now the OS 46AX) and the Avistar as my trainer. I still have the 46FX on a Somethin Extra and would fly the same combination again if I was starting. You will find there are many combinations that will work for you. The decision on which one of the recommendations to take will be the toughest. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:15 AM
-pkh-

Is it a good idea to get a little more powerful engine than I really need for my first plane, in anticipation of putting it into a more advanced plane in the future? Or would it be better to just get a smaller, cheaper engine, in case I crash and trash it? Wondering if it's worth the extra $$ to get, say, the OS-50SX over the OS-46AX...
Old 07-12-2004, 09:30 AM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

I have the LT-40 and I'm currently learning on it. I'm learning quickly so maybe I didn't need such a forgiving plane, but it is still a lot of fun. I would recommend it to anyone. I started out with an O.S. .46 AX and I think its power has saved me from a couple of bad takeoffs. I've already picked up my 2nd plane and for it I'm ordering a TT .46 BB.

-Jeff
Old 07-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yeah, the TT.46 is pretty much a .46 FX clone
No, it has a differant bore and stroke and other differances. It is a lot closer to the old OS SF .46. Actually a new design by the same designer of the OS SF.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

the OS engines are the preferred ones. I have an OS-50SX-H in my Raptor 50V2.
Depends on the field and what the more experianced flyers use. Also the income of the surrounding area. When TT started the engines were of low quality, now they are equal to OS. There may be a model or two which are not (but then OS has some lemons too) but overall they are equal.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:59 AM
hookedonrc

I would go for the power if it is in range of the plane and your finances can handle the expense. You can always throttle back if necessary and you have a wider range of second and third planes you can move it to if you want.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:30 AM
-pkh-

hookedonrc...

What kind of servos did you use in your Avistar? Just standard servos? Do you need BB servos?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Sport_Pilot

IMO you won't notice much differance in BB and standard servos. Start with standard. Not much differance till you go to coreless and digital servos.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:55 PM
-pkh-

Is it worth getting digital servos for a trainer? Will I notice much of a difference?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

No, in fact for a trainer standard servo's are probably better. You need to learn to make corrections when they don't center accurately.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:33 PM
toddly24

Hey, I second (or third, or whatever number I am) about the TT, that engine is great! Starts easy and runs awesome. Keep a good glow plug in it or it won't start.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
tIANci

The TT is a great value for money engine ... I would go for the 50SX if money is no issue, gives you more bang for the buck and also for long term its worth it.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:18 PM
hookedonrc

I used JR 537's. They are plenty for what is required.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:07 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Standard servos are fine, OS 46 FX (or AX), or the 50 SX if you can afford any of them. A 46 with ball bearings is more than enough power for almost any 40 size plane, unless you're planning on flying 3D, in which case the 50 might be better. (But why fly 3D with a plane, just fly the heli. )

IF you get to flying 3D down the road, then consider digital servos, but they're useless in a trainer.

I'm sure the club you joined will have instructors, and it really is the most sensible way to get into planes.
Dennis-
Old 07-13-2004, 11:30 AM
rcbeginner23

superstar: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...o/hcaa60m.html
Old 07-13-2004, 11:39 AM
-pkh-

I wasn't considering th e Hobbico Superstar because that's an RTF... I've already got a much better TX than what comes with that package (I have a Futaba 9CHP). I'm looking for an ARF, that way I don't have to do too much building, yet I can use my existing TX, and pick out my own engine...
Old 07-13-2004, 03:33 PM
LuckyArmpit

I'm new to glow planes as well. But not new to flying (flying electric for 3 years). My trainer is a Hangar 9 Arrow. OS .46 AX engine.
Paid $105 I think for the engine. Man at the LHS who's been flying for 30 years says you can't beat the OS and TT .46 engines. He says the OS is just a tad smoother but you can't go wrong with either one. The Arrow has a semi symetrical wing that you can do some aerobatics with but is still a trainer at heart. I haven't had mine in the air yet but 4 tanks of fuel has been run through just taxi'ing around and the first 2 fills was to run in engine. Starts up without even using the torque starter. Just flip the prop over by hand and it fires up.

Dave...
Old 07-13-2004, 04:58 PM
ICE_MAN

I'll always recomend the Hobbico Super Star and Avistar ARF's...
Get one with a Super Tigre 45 or 51 and a 6 channel radio such as the Futaba 6EXA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.