Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Evolution Engine Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Evolution Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:36 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evolution Engine Problems

I sorry I do not have a 49 on it I have a 46 evo on my XE2 soeey bout that Grandad1.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:30 AM
CameraMann

Try taking a look at your fuel tank, make sure that all fittings are tight. I was having the same problem, Evo ran super, then all of a sudden it would just die when I gave it throttle IN THE AIR.
On the ground I couldn't get it to miss a beat. After another dead stick landing, I found that the expansion plug in the fuel tank was loose, tightened that & never had another problem!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Hossfly. Great post. My Evo 40 is having similar problems. My solution was to remove it and put an OS46 on in it's place which ran just fine (so no fuel tank issue). I never looked over the EVO issue until reading this series of posts. Now, I will take that engine and put it back on my 4*40 and check that muffler. That's exactly how mine was running. I had it on a Prangster over in the UK and it ran just fine. When I brought the engine back here to the US, it ran crappy, but that was a year later. I was hoping that it would run as good as it did in the UK but it did not so I benched it in favor of the OS46 I had (not to repeat myself).

Thanks for the great idea. Now if it works, you are a hero. If it does not, you are a heal...

Dick.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:55 PM
TGViper-

I'll add my .02 here - I purchased an evo .46 for the hanger 9 arrow trainer that I recently purchased. Couldn't get the thing to idle. It would transition and have high end correct, but no idle without the glow stick attached. Took it back to the local hobby store and they tried it for about an hour. Finally, pulled another one out of the box and no problems since. A buddy of mine has one and it seems to be a tad touchy.

Seems like they are hit and miss.

Viper

Old 04-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Rubberduck

ORIGINAL: TGViper-

A buddy of mine has one and it seems to be a tad touchy.

Yeah, I know
Old 04-24-2005, 05:43 PM
joshmoha
My Feedback: (75)

thanks for the info i am running s 14/8 we kept riching it moore and moore did not help.thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM
O32RC

I had the exact same problem, Evolution engine was surging in my P-51 PTS during straight and level flight. I had noticed the muffler changing orientation but did not think much about it. I took off the lock nut and tightened the long screw from the front securing the back half of the muffler and then put the lock nut back on. The engine now runs as smooth as can be again.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:37 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note. I have an Evo 52 NX. It was initially bench tuned for a couple of tanks before installation into a Goldberg Tiger 2. The high speed and transition from idle to mid-throttle seemed pretty good. After installation the combo had 11 great, reliable flights, each with a lot of throttle changes (not simply WFO throttle control). Then came 12 straight dead sticks. Re-tuning didn't help. Rather than pummel the engine with a ball peen hammer it was sent back to Horizon Hobby for service. They replaced the carb at no charge (just cost me the initial shipping charge). No more engine dead sticks. Just "pilot dumb sticks". [:@]