Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 02:39 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Plane

I have been reading around a bit and was wondering if some of you guys could answer a couple of questions.

I am not new to R/C, been racing gas cars for a few years, but I am new to the planes.

I currently have my eyeball on the Tower Trainer 40 ARF. I have read time and time again that its a good starter plane. The kit directions look very good and seem to take care of most of my questions.

I have not however been able to find a definitive answer on prop size for the O.S .46 FX that I plan to put in.
I have read that a wood 10x6 would be good prop to start with.

Is this true?
other opinions?

Anything you guys could tell me about the tower Trainer 40, the O.S .46fx and props would be appreciated.

As well what size servos should I use with this kit?

Thanks,

Dbow
Old 07-27-2002, 03:30 PM
chris100

Default First Plane

I used to have a tower trainer. It is very docile and perfect for a beginner. I used standard futaba 3003 servos in it. As far as props go, a 10*6 is a good starting place for the engine. You might also try a 10*7, 11*6 and 11*5. Master Airscrew plastic props are good to learn with as they tend to not break as easily on not so perfect landings. Once you get landing down pat try out the APC brand props. They are stiffer props and wont flex in the air, giving you better performance.

Chris
Old 07-27-2002, 04:20 PM
tazzdevl1

Default First Plane

I have a Tower Trainer now with a 40LA. This plane is very easy to learn on. The LA is a bit slower than the FX would be. I wish I had gone with the FX to start with. Good luck!!

Cliff
Old 07-27-2002, 04:45 PM
dbow

Default First Plane

Thanks for the info Chris.

Ya I think I have put together fairly good starters package. I still have the radio to decide on and I’m sure it will be Futaba.

I have the 3PDF and the 3PJ radio for my gas cars and would use nothing other than Futaba (personal preference).
My decision just has not been made as to how many channels I will need. I don’t think I want to go with something with only 4 channels and have to buy another radio later down the road.
I’m thinking that a 6 channel should do for now and later on.

That’s another thing I noticed in the forums, that a lot of people new to the hobby just want to know what the best trainer is.
I of course am new but I don’t think there is one that is better than the rest. I value opinions and experiences but the trainers all seem to have the same traits. In the end I think it comes down to personal opinions. When you’re new you really can’t have an opinion so you basically just have to grab something and try it out. Eventually we all come up with what we think is the best but isn’t that just a personal preference rather than what’s really better than something else is.

The biggest thing that I feel people should be concerned with is where you intend to go with the hobby. Its certainly cheaper in the long run to purchase equipment that will take through several models and several phases of this hobby. Radio and engines being the biggest Items I guess.
Of course if you buy all this gear and decide you don’t like it then that’s lots of money wasted.
I imagine that model airplane equipment is much the same as Gas car equipment. You spend tons of dollars getting all the equipment and so forth and when you go to sell it, even in good condition wont bring anything near what you put in to it.
For me I enjoy just about everything that has a TX and something at the other end. Every dollar Ive spent at the local hobby shop was worth the enjoyment and satisfaction that I have gotten out of the hobby.

I am fairly sure after being involved with gas cars for several years that I will stay with the planes for quite a while. I would like to eventually get into the helicopters and maybe boats after
That.
I’m not currently active racing the cars but still have all my cars. It wont cost anything for them to sit on my bench and on that particular weekend that I decide to take them out, they will be there and ready.

Also, this forum is awesome, so much information, so little time.

Thanks again

Dbow
Old 07-27-2002, 06:41 PM
tazzdevl1

Default First Plane

I bought a Tower Hobbies 4 ch radio to go with my trainer. Hindsight tells me I should have bought a Futaba 6 ch. I too favor the Futaba radios. I guess it just depends on money and what you want at the time.

Cliff
Old 07-27-2002, 07:37 PM
chris100

Default Futaba radio

I went the same route and started with a 4 channel and then got the futaba 6xas. As much as i like this radio im kind of disappointed with it. I just got my first Heli and the programming for it is very limited. I don't think it will be long before i end up with a more flexible radio. I say if you get a good deal on a futaba 6x then get it, but if your planning on buying new i would highly recommend to get the best radio you can afford or you will be buying twice just like me.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:54 PM
dbow

Default First Plane

Chris,

Can you elaborate a bit about that radio. What exactly is it about the set-up that you dont like?

What are you considering going to?

I also may eventually get into the helicopters, what model copter are you starting with?

Dbow
Old 07-27-2002, 11:02 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Default First Plane

My .46 FX does well on an APC 11X6. It pulls my LT-40 with ease. Takeoffs are at about 1/2 throttle! I like the LT-40 a lot. Great to build and fly.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:36 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default First Plane

I think you will do fine with that plane and motor combination. I also agree the 4 channel will be a disappointment when you are ready to move on. I have two 6 channel conquest radios with duel rates they are cheep and easy to work with. I also have a 7aup and 7aup super these can be programmed to overcome tendencies of a plane like heading change on knife edge. Mixing like Delta / v tail or elevator / flap mixing. You need to think about what you might fly after you move on from your trainer. You will spend more money now but if you think about it you won't have to upgrade equipment as quickly and you won't have to find some one to buy that old 4 channel. Just my $.02 CB
Old 07-28-2002, 03:36 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default First Plane

One other thing you should join a local club or fond someone who can help you past the point of solo. It is a great hobby Enjoy! CB
Old 07-28-2002, 05:49 AM
TIGER2PLANE

Default First Plane

dbow ,, any good 40 size trainer is good and the 46 fa is a good motor since we have 10 of them in trainer to war birds, side mounted to inverted and we use the master 11-7 as the main prop for that motor. we used a 10-6 with our oldest and after 5 years it needs brgs. but its still running. we have a easy fly 2 and a arostar 40 and a Goldberg cub, 2 at6 a tiger 2, pt2o Ryon so you can see they do run great and after the needles are set leave them alone.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:24 AM
chris100

Default radio

A few misses with the 6xas is that it only has 1 point pitch and throttle curves. Also it will not allow full throttle at negative pitch in idle up. It will only go 50% throttle below half stick. This means when i advance to more complex inverted maneuvers this radio will just not do it. If i had it to do over with i would have gotten the Futaba 9c or JR 8103. The heli i am setting up is a raptor 30. Just waiting on my gyro to arrive in the mail to fly it.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:01 PM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Default I would rethink that OS .46

I started with a Tower Trainer as well and it is a ok plane. The covering is that cheesy contact paper which does its job but it failed when I put an OS .46 on the plane.

IMHO the .46 is much more engine that this plane can handle assuming you are going to buy the arf.

When I put the OS on the plane and went to full speed during a banking turn, something broke on the right wing and it went spiralling down. I believe that I heard a "pop" then saw the contact paper on the top of the right wing flapping and the plane quickly when into a unrecoverable spiral.

Before the OS, I had a Tower Hobbies .40 on it and it ran fine. If you do put the .46 on it then set the throttle to not allow full speed. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, I love the OS .46. I have two of them now and think they are worth the extra money compared to other .45 or .46 engines.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:27 PM
glowplug

Default First Plane

Dbow, one thing you might want to consider about that plane......the Hobbico Superstar 40 (I think that's the name) is pretty much the same plane but covered in Monokote, which is more durable and repairable than the sticky-backed covering on the Tower Trainer 40.

Mike
Old 07-29-2002, 02:50 PM
mjwest1117

Default First Plane

I am an instructor at our club. Every Tuesday night we train 15-20 people. I think I have flown every trainer on the market today.

The Tower Hobbies .40 is a pretty decent one with the exception of the contact paper mentioned before. It flies exactly like a Hobbico SuperStar as stated above as well. My opinion of this plane is that it is simply "adequate". No more, no less. It's not my favorite, but it's not the worst one by far.

The .46fx you plan on running is the ideal engine, IF you plan on continuing on in the hobby beyond trainers. That engine will probably fly 1000 other planes!!!! The longest and lowest prop that is recommended by O.S. is the one I would use. The idea here is maximum torque not maximum speed. The torque is what will save your plane when/if you get into a bad situation. There is also the benefit that the longer, lower pitch prop will act as an airbrake when idling in for lander. This is enormously beneficial to beginners. I have had good results with an 11x5 on the .46 Thunder Tiger, but check your manual first.

Just like the engine, IF you plan on moving beyond trainers a good 6 channel radio is a smart investment in the beginning. There are no "bad" radios out there IMHO. Just make sure the one you buy is compatible with whatever buddy boxes your club has. That is the most important feature at this stage.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:45 PM
dbow

Default Superstar

I did not know about the contact paper, that sounds cheap to me..lol

You guys now have me looking at the Superstar and the avistar but not sure which one I will grab.

Im still trying to understand why the monocoat is so much better than whatever else.

Anyhow, off to do some more reading.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:18 PM
headwindharry

Default First Plane

don't overlook duraplanes & sturdybirds- ugly as can be, but they really do survive most crashes. They're a little harder to fly, but that's good practice for moving on...
Old 07-29-2002, 06:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First Plane

How are MonoKote, Ultracote, and the like better than contact paper? It's like the difference between putting your sandwich in Saran Wrap versus putting it in a paper bag.

Also, the Futaba 6XAS is a great radio. Chris is trying to use his for a helicopter, and while this radio CAN fly a hele, he should have gotten the radio specifically made for helicopters. (6HAS I think?)
Old 07-29-2002, 08:37 PM
chris100

Default First Plane

Actually Minnflyer,
The Futaba 6xas and 6xhs are only different in a few physical points. The labels on the switches are different and the throttle is smooth and not ratcheted. As far as programming power the radio's use the same software. There are no mixing options in the Heli version that the Airplane version does not have. I cannot recommend the futaba 6x series if planning to fly airplanes and helis.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:51 PM
glowplug

Default First Plane

dbow, monocote or ultracote is heat-shrinkable film....it is much stronger and will last much longer than the sticky-backed contact paper on some ARF's. You might have to iron out a few wrinkles in the covering here and there with monocote or ultracote, but it's worth the little bit of extra effort.

Mike
Old 07-30-2002, 03:03 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default First Plane

Originally posted by MinnFlyer
How are MonoKote, Ultracote, and the like better than contact paper? It's like the difference between putting your sandwich in Saran Wrap versus putting it in a paper bag.
Durability over time, repairability, and weight. Those are three solid advantages for a good covering like Monokote or Ultracote.

Also, the Futaba 6XAS is a great radio. Chris is trying to use his for a helicopter, and while this radio CAN fly a hele, he should have gotten the radio specifically made for helicopters. (6HAS I think?)
As the computer 6-channels go, the 6XAS is near the bottom of the pack. The heli version still has the limited 3-point pitch curve. The Airtronics RD6000 is really the heli radio in the 6-channel category. Not only does it have a 5-point curve, but it also has adjustment buttons for the curve that can be used in flight. You won't find anything that well thought out anywhere near its price range.

Rethink the Tower trainer if you want the best. Anything with the Tower name on it isn't the best. It's Hobbico's bargain brand, and you really do get what you pay for in RC.

If I wanted an ARF trainer right now, I'd buy a Sig LT-40. It's a great trainer, and would serve you well for a long time. Even after your training is over. If you can wait just a bit, see what the reviews say about the Aerostar 40 ARF. The Aerostar is one heck'uva trainer that just now is becoming available as an ARF.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:09 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default First Plane

Hi dbow,your plane, engine is a good trainer,as far as the covering goes hot sun can be a problem,the covering will get loose with the heat ,then shrink when it cools down,I like the 6 ch futaba, as far as servos,use what comes with the radio,10X6, 11X6,works fine,apc or wood to start with can get expensive,they break easy on not so perfect landings so I've heard?? BEST ADVICE,find a club with an instructor that you like and have fun.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:59 PM
dbow

Default First plane

Wow, so much experience and good advice here. I have been a member of numerous forums over the years, and stay active on quite a few.
The people on this forum make it one of the best I have ever seen and may ever see.
Roughly 20 replies on a beginner thread with so much time and cost saving information. I dont think I have ever gotten this kind of response on a beginner thread before.

I would like to thank everyone for offering experiences and opinions as I value them greatly.
Hopefully in the future I will be able to give back to the group by offering my experiences and information.

Well I put in my order for the SuperStar 40 last night, 2nd day shipping should have it here Friday.
I picked up all the glues and building equipment as well, Im sure I will end up needing some stuff though. Luckily there is a HobbyTown right down the road.

I have not bought the engine yet or the radio but they will follow shortly. After reading all the replies I think I will stick with the O.S .46FX.
I do think I have changed my mind on the radio though, I may go with the basic 4 channel to start with instead of a higher quality radio.
Im thinking that I need to feel out how these things fly then decide on a quality radio based on my needs and wants.
I feel if I jump out there and buy a high dollar radio that I may grow into it and may not. I could end up having too many features or to little.

I will keep the group posted on my building process and will even put up some pics.
Watch out though Im the kind that takes pictures of the box when it comes through the door from the shipper....lol

Thanks again,

Dbow
Old 07-31-2002, 02:14 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default First Plane

Hi Dbow,
with a 4 ch. radio you'll not have duel rates, with a 6 ch. radio you will, even with a trainer duel rates are nice,and it's not that much more money, just my .02. John.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default First Plane

You will get a LOT of answers to this question, I would recommend that you get a Hobbico Avistar, OS46FX and a 6 channel computer radio! Talk to your instructor and find which transmitter he has/likes and go that route!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.