Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

aeroplanes,where are they on the reliablity chart?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

aeroplanes,where are they on the reliablity chart?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 05:16 PM
jason5_k

Location: LisbellawCo.Fermanagh Northern ireland UK, UNITED KINGDOM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aeroplanes,where are they on the reliablity chart?

hi, i'm thinking about switching to planes from cars and i was wondering where aeroplanes are in the reliablity chart, my current car is now sitting my garage wit the engine in bits, i seem to spend more time taking it apart and trying to fix it than driving it, thats not the only reason i'm switching, planes look sooo cool! any replies would be great.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: aeroplanes,where are they on the reliablity chart?

I think you will find the planes as much, if not more fun than the cars.

As for the engine, I don't feel you will have it in the shop as much. Aircraft engines are USUALLY operated at a noticably lower rpm (average rpm when flying is ABOUT 6,000 - 10,000 rpm ).

The plane's reliability is determined by the quality of the builder. A well constructed plane is reliable and flies well. The "IF" factor is the pilot. If they mess up, that well built plane may wind up as toothpicks.

Of course, like everything else, you also have "the gremlins". They have been known to take a fantastically built plane and extremely reliable engine and turn them into garbage in seconds. [] Now "the angels", on the other hand have been known to take a total piece of sh*t plane and engine AND a totally sh*tty pilot and have everyone thinking they are looking at a TOC champion (Tournement Of Champions )
Old 08-21-2004, 06:06 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

R/C aircraft are very, very reliable. I have one that I designed and built in 1976 and I’m still flying it. The Monokote on the top of the wing must be replaced every 15 years or so because it becomes brittle from the sun. I have another one that I designed and built in the mid 80s and it is still flying too. This all assumes that you pay attention to your radio, air frame, engine and that you are a good flyer.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:04 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with what's been said, but there's something else to consider. Becoming a good RC pilot is harder than you think it will be, and having driven RC cars won't help all that much.

Find a club and an instructor for your first few flights at least.

Welcome to RCU and RC aircraft. Just remember, that above all else, have fun!
Dennis-
Old 08-22-2004, 04:24 PM
autopilot

I've done both and I'll probably not go back to RC cars for quite a while. Planes are much more reliable than cars & trucks. I've been flying planes for 7-8 years now, and I was with my monster truck for about a year , until I got frustrated with fixing it all the time. There's a reason they sell all those aluminum and titanium parts for those cars.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason5_k

hi, i'm thinking about switching to planes from cars and i was wondering where aeroplanes are in the reliablity chart, my current car is now sitting my garage wit the engine in bits, i seem to spend more time taking it apart and trying to fix it than driving it, thats not the only reason i'm switching, planes look sooo cool! any replies would be great.
Welcome aboard, Jason. You have posed an interesting question.

Did you actually have a specific reliability chart in mind? Like, did you want to put numbers on the bathtub chart? Or were you thinking in Weibull plot terms? Or were you thinking in general, anecdotal terms?

I'm going out on a limb here, but my observation is that the life of planes and RC components is more related to the skills of the owner than the durability of the components. By that, I mean that lots of components are re-used for lengthy periods after the original plane is destroyed in a crash. I am also observing that more crashes are due to the pilot's flying skills (or lack of them) than any component failing or wearing out.

Some planes, engines, and radio components last through hundreds, perhaps thousands of flights. Some are destroyed with the airplane in an early-hour crash (a sort of bathtub curve might describe pilot skills, here.)

Bottom line, I'm guessing cars are less susceptible to crash destruction than our planes, and more susceptible to things like suspension wear. So, if you were to switch to planes, you could anticipate your engines to last a long time, and your planes too (after you get past that early part of the bathtub curve, in your flying skills.)

Just my opinion,
Dave Olson
Old 08-22-2004, 06:09 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Scar makes a good point. From my persoanl experience and observations I'd agree that reliability has a lot to do with the practices of the owner. Learn the ropes from an experienced pilot that has few troubles and you will pick up good habits that will make your RC planes very reliable.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:38 PM
DBCherry

Dave,
Let's just keep in mind that from what I've seen, most RC cars and trucks go through a series of crashes every time they're run!
Dennis-
Old 08-23-2004, 04:43 PM
GLflyer

Jason,

I have rc cars and planes also, and I agree, planes are a lot more fun! They are much more reliable than cars too.
There is also a feeling of acomplishment you get after a good flight that you don't get from driving rc cars.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason5_k

i was wondering where aeroplanes are in the reliablity chart,
Right below Women
Old 08-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Spaceclam

usually, a plane's collision with the air does not damage your plane much, whereas a car's collision with the ground can be desistating. all the plane's equipment is more reliable because it is not getting banged around as much. iwth car engines you will burn parts easily. plane engines are exposed to open air and propwash all the time so they stay cooler and they run slower.