Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Whats the most Important Item to have in a field Box.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Whats the most Important Item to have in a field Box.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 05:12 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the most Important Item to have in a field Box.

CA is very important. You can use it to repair your plane, or the six slashes you got from your prop!
Old 08-01-2002, 01:51 PM
BingoFlyer

1. AMA Card (It will allow you to fly at most clubs as a guest).

2. First aid kit you never know when the prop. or something else might bite you!
Old 08-01-2002, 01:58 PM
Billy Hell

A cell phone is good. In case you have to call an ambulance.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:28 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

An extra pair of sunglasses. If I dont have my sunglasses I cant fly without tearing. Sometimes on cloudy days is worse than on sunny days.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:52 PM
richb1492
My Feedback: (4)

If you are flying as a guest another club. A very good field box item has to be a card with your name and home phone number.

One item i always seem to forget is the glow starter, I take it out to charge it and i forget to put it back in my field box.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:05 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

1. Drink Holder
2. Sunglasses
3. Hat
4. super uber screwdriver that fits almost everything on your plane
Old 08-02-2002, 12:52 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First Aid kit!!!! Prop got me Tuesday evening........noboby at theclub had a bandage..............found some paper towel and some duct tape................better than nothin................JT
Old 08-02-2002, 08:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I definately agree with the first aid kit. I keep one in my truck at all times, that way I won't forget to take it to the field. I have one other item that I wouldn't have thought would get so much use, but I seem to be pulling it out about every 2 weeks to help somebody out of a jam. it's a butane powered soldering iron. you can get them at radio shack for $19. and they get plenty hot enough to even solder clevises (or is that clevi??? lol) onto pushrods.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:43 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I try to carry just enough for my plane, and my flight box is still too heavy. Now I have to make a wheeled cart to get it out to the field.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:04 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Our field keeps a first aid kit available at all times so that people dont have to worry about bringing one themselves. Now that I think about it, I'm going to go open it up and see if anything is missing.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:09 PM
rcflier_gi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunscreen. I have gotten fried being at the field for 3 or 4 hours without it.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:18 AM
matlok

A 2nd airplane so you'll have something to fly if (when) you crash the first one...
Old 08-04-2002, 06:45 PM
w4kv

Most important thing? For me, a checklist of things to bring.
Until I got a checklist, I have driven 30 minutes to the field, forgetting:
Fuel
Glow lighter
Glow lighter battery with juice
Extra prop
Reamer for extra prop
Transmitter with correct module (what a dope!)
Old 08-05-2002, 01:17 AM
autopilot

Default Most Important?

You mean other than the radio? Or the wing? Don't ask. A couple important things that I think you need is to either have a Voltwatch in your plane or a voltmeter, to check your battery power, and polarized sunglasses, which cut down the glare on any day - I wouldn't go to the field without mine, well, unless I forget to bring them.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Saito_56-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default No Tourniquets

Originally posted by bigbri
[B]Hey guys ....NO TOURNIQUETS !!!!!........Once you put one on a limb.....kiss that limb goodby. Direct pressure only !!!
While I was in the Army, many many many years ago, (1968) I recall the proper way to apply a Tourniquet was to loosen it every few miniutes, to keep damage from being done, while not bleeding to death! They also covered direct pressure, and I do belive that Direct pressure is the prefered method, unless we are talking a severe wound.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:28 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Go ahead ...you release that tourniquit every few minutes, you take that chance of releasing a blood clot into the blood stream that could travel into you lungs killing you instantly (pulmonary embolism) ....or it could travel to your heart blocking blood flow to the small arteries that keep your heart perfused....causing a heart attack !!!!! You have to remember A lot of things have changed in 34 years.....Back then there was no such things as paramedics. An "ambulance" (that was run by the local funeral home) showed up at an accident scene, Two guys with zero training, who... BTW usually worked for the local funeral home also , piled everybody that was hurt in the back of a station wagon, both attendants jumped up front leaving the injured alone in the back and raced to the hospital hoping you didn't die along the way.........Somebody noticed that the people on the bottom of the pile had a higher mortality rate (death rate) than those up on top.............then the training began.....
Now a paramedic team with over 2000 hours of training EACH !! bring the emergency room to you!!!!! Paramedics in the state of mass are required to take over 100 hours of cont. education every 2 years to stay current on our skills...........
Take the local American Heart Association CPR course. They cover basic first aid, Clearing obstructed airways, and of course CPR. The skills you learn could one day help you save the life of someone you love.
Sorry I am off my soap box....
Brian
Old 08-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Saito_56-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default CPR

I couldn't agree with you more, I was just reading the thread, and remembered my crash course training in basic, like you said, 34 years is a long time ago, things have changed for the better. EMT's have saved countless lives, no doubt about it. I was not saying that as long as the tourniqute was loosened every few min, everything would be ok. Just remembering old training from the past!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:43 PM
Trucker-RCU

unless you like a bright pink complexion after a day of flying
-sunblock!
Old 08-07-2002, 04:14 AM
Balsageek

Default Most Important thing

CA .. Duh. If you crash it you can fix it. Moreover, CA is basically a first aid kit in a bottle!! You know the glue doctors use to glue wounds shut? Yea... It's basically sterilized CA!!! So instead of using the tourniquit, just glue the thing till it stops spurting blood... Then go fly!!! I cant count the number of times I've sliced a finger with my exacto and pulled out a bottle of thin. Works better than a band aid and even stops an itch better than cortaide!!! So for that one thing you need... Go with a CA!!!

Matt
Old 08-07-2002, 11:51 AM
w4kv

I've tried to restrain myself on this thread, but there is some misinformation regarding the use of tourniquets which should be corrected . I believe that the suggestion that a tourniquet be kept in the toolbox was made as a joke, and it probably should have been taken as such.

Tourniquets can be used effectively for limb injuries. The main problem with their application is local damage due to crushing of muscles, nerves, etc., directly under the tourniquet band. Clots forming in the veins of the limb are rarely a problem, and release of toxins virtually never are. The reason is this: a tourniquet applied to stop bleeding is so painful (assuming the victim is conscious) that medical help is always sought immediately. It is ridiculous to think that somebody would hang out with the guys with an injury which requires a tourniquet. Once the tourniquet is applied, it should not be released (assuming that bleeding has stopped) except by experienced personnel capable of controlling the hemorrhage.

If there is a single wound, and if bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure or packing with a bandage or (clean) rag, this is preferable. During transport, the victim can apply the pressure himself. With multiple bleeding wounds, usually proximal direct pressure to the major artery to the limb is effective in controlling bleeding, but it needs to be direct, continuous, and bleeding should be controlled. Extremely proximal injuries may be difficult to control with direct pressure, but a tourniquet is useless in these circumstances.

Sometimes direct pressure is ineffective, either because of several arterial injuries or because of collaterals (other arteries feeding the limb). In this circumstance, use of a tourniquet can stop bleeding. Remember that blood loss will kill you if not controlled.

Most injuries from props, etc., cause venous bleeding which should be easily controlled by packing the wound. Of course, exceptions can occur, but this is a good rule of thumb. If blood is dark and flowing out, it is probably venous. If bright red and spurting or pulsating, arterial. Arterial injury packing requires more pressure than venous injury.

As probably already suggested, an indispensible first aid item is a cellphone.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Billy Hell

While we're on this part of the thread...
We had a Dr. flying at the field last month. He manage to put his forearm in the prop. My instructor (flying for 20 years) said it was the worst looking injury he has ever seen a the field. He cut the muscle/tendon and was spurting blood from an artery. The guys rushed out and applied pressure and called an ambulance. He was so out of it he tried to tell them it was nothing and wanted to check his plane. He was totally out of his head. The fact he was a Dr. was a little misleading since some thought he might know what he was talking about. My friend knew he was out of his head and knew the injury was serious. The end of the story is that he had surgery to reconnect everything and was working on his heli the next night.
I always have towels in my trunk. The help protect my plane and I know they are there if I need to aply some pressure (nice and big). I also keep a first aid kit in the trunk.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

A cell phone to call your girlfriend to bring some lunch.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:38 PM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

Default scared

man--I thought I enjoyed flying planes--now you guys got me scared with this bleeding out stuff--might have to take up something less dangerous--LOL

I do agree CA--has so many uses. Bandaid,plane repair and if ever a mugger trys to steal your plane a great weapon--(bet it hurts terribly in the eyes)--LOL
Old 08-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

I always take my remote ignitor, but in my field box I keep the ignitor extension that hooks up to your power panel for glow, that way if your remote ignitor ever dies on you when your at the field, you can just use your panel with the ignitor extension. Daz...
Old 08-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Blackie

Depending where the injury occurred on the body and how serious the injury is holding a limb above your head sometimes's aids in preventing blood loss, when I say limb I am referring to arm and hand.

I believe if its on your lower body say the leg area I would think elevating it with person on there back would also help aid in preventing blood loss. I may be wrong but it seems to stand to reason. *shrugs*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.