Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

[Deleted]

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

[Deleted]

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 01:42 AM

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Darwin Storm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help and receive FREE RC Video library!!

Well, I can give you a begginer's perspective, considering I have only been flying about a month with my first solo last week.

1.) Arf building - The ARF I bought, the sig kadet lt-40 was pretty easy to assemble, but there were still issues I had , as well as tricks to building that I have done since the recommendations of others, but would have been easier to do during build. Note building tips such as putting a little piece of fuel tubing at the end of the control rod to slip over the plastic cleavis's. Another important issue I missed was the importance of proper downthrust alightment on the engine. There were some issues I had with making sure the throttle linkeage was set up properly, so that the engine could be killed with trim at the lowest setting. I also had some problems intially setting up the prop and prop nut properly and tight enough to keep it secure.

2.) Glow engine introduction:
From breaking in of the glow engine, intial use, proper adjustments, terminoligy, etc. I think it would have been very helpful to have some small intructional video on how to properly set up and use a glow engine.

3.) Instruction:
Having a good instuctor at the field is key, but I spent alot of time practicing on a simulator at home as well. I might be helpful to have some basic instruction video, mention some of the challenges of basic take off, basic turns, orientation of plane and proper control movements, and landings. A good section on preflight checks of the plane might be good as well.
Of course, perhaps short vids on various basic acrobatic and onwards would be helpful, but I am not quite there yet.

4.) basic repairs:
I had a few minor nicks on my wing after the wind flipped my plane on ground right after landing. It wasn't hard to figure out how to use utralcote to fix the damage, but still might be helpful to go over some basic repairs.

5.) crash response:
I have seen one total crash so far at my club. It might be good to let new people know what to salvage, and what not to salvage (depending on damage). Also, you might want to let them know what steps they need to do to clean out dirtfilled engines, etc.

6.) maybe a event vid, showing sample of various types of competitions, pylon racing, acrobatic contests, etc.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:43 AM
LuckyArmpit

I would say safety and pre-flight checks. Make sure all the control surfaces move correctly. Make sure the landing gear is tight etc.

Dave...
Old 09-01-2004, 05:13 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max,
Good topic.

We've given a few presentations at the club and the more popular ones were on covering techniques, repairing crash damage, glow engine care and repair (stripped down an engine to show how), electric planes (set up, battery packs, charging and ESC's).

We had a video library for awhile. It was good but no one wanted to drag the box of videos from meeting to meeting, so that kind of died. Had crash videos, jets, some video magazines, covering techniques, Dave Patricks series on aerobatics.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Dennis-
Old 09-01-2004, 07:41 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about how to maiden a plane.

Something along the lines of:

1. You need to know how to check balances both CG and lateral
2. Be sure you are completely comfortable getting a plane recovered from a problem low to the ground. You willl need this for the takeoff.
3. Can you successfully trim a plane while in flight to fly hands off? I usually trim for half throttle, but plane size and engine/prop combo will be a factor in that.

What I normally do:

1. Check over the plane for CG and lateral balances, loose screws, wing and tail feathers, etc....
2. Check control surface alignment. Make sure all control surfaces are neutral and the trims on the radio are neutral
3. Range check the radio with the engine off, then again while it's running, making sure all surfaces are moving in the correct directions.
4. Slow speed/High speed taxi test to make sure it it tracks straight and if it's a taildragger to also check for nose over tendencies and the amount of rudder to hold for the high speed taxi.
5. Bring it back in and refuel it.
6. Takeoff but with only as much power as needed plus a few clicks more (you can also use full throttle if you want but increase throttle gradually in any case). Be ready for anything at this point as you can never tell what the plane will do. I've had planes go hard right, hard left, nose high, nose low and just fly out nice and straight. Usually if the plane was built well and all of the above was checked well, then the problems will normally be minimal.
7. get it up at least 3 mistakes high and to the throttle setting you wish to trim at and take your thumbs off the sticks for a second or two to see if the plane wants to nose down, nose up, turn right or left, yaw right or left or just continue straight ahead and level.
8. Trim as need from what you saw the plane do in step 6. Yaw (nose moving right/left) requires rudder trim, wing dropping requires aileron trim, nose dropping/rising requires elevator trim. In all cases you will be trimming in the opposite direction of the movement
9. Fly hands off again and check as in step 6, trim more if needed
10. Land
11. Go sit down and wait for the body to stop shaking.
12. Grin ear to ear
13. Go fly it if it's yours, and slowly work in more acro stuff

If you have never seen a YAW movement then get your plane up and level and move the rudder one way or the other and watch the nose. It will become pretty obvious what yaw looks like.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:56 PM

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two things to contribute that have not already been covered so far..

1-Basic aerodynamics download here: http://67.161.249.237:8080/basicaero.ppt

2-And what to do when a plane goes down: Instructions-
Use the following methods to find a downed plane:

When a plane goes down and you think it might be a difficult search place your transmitter down on the ground (at your feet) with the antenna pointing in the exact direction that you lost sight. That marks the reference point and exact direction of the plane. You can then find a suitable replacement for the reference point and pointer (transmitter) before you trudge into the bushes. With a spotter at the reference point go directly toward the plane as pointed by the reference line. A spotter can guide you left or right as you deviate from the sight line.

By doing this you can walk right to the plane or its remains. Using the transmitter to make noise will help you to narrow the search area. Of course this must be the first method used after a crash. By the next day your mind will have muddied up the memory enough to make your search much more difficult. The key to a successful search (other than luck) is a well marked reference point and a line pointing to the crash site.

I learned this method of point marking when I was a life guard. Marking an event works well in when finding a swimmer who has slipped under the water or even deer hunting after you make a shot and need to search for the darn things. (we)(I) tend to wander in our searching without propper markers..
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 AM

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 AM
knightmagic
My Feedback: (1)

As a beginner I think reccomend the kind of trainer student might get also cove arfs when I first got nexstar trainer figured after I put it together was rtf however president of my club and I spent about hour to hour and a half getting throws and cg right.
Also on covering kits and such would like to build but would'nt be sure how to begin.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 AM

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-03-2004, 03:10 PM

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]