Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

tuned pipes???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

tuned pipes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 12:07 PM
kwbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuned pipes???

Could someone tell me the benefit of a tuned pipe over a stock muffler? Is the performance increase worth the extra bucks? What about the after-market hi-perf mufflers like the Macs...any good? Thanks
Old 08-02-2002, 01:47 PM
Al Stein

Default tuned pipes???

For beginner forum purposes, no, the cost is not in any way justified by the benefit.

Indeed, for the beginner there IS no benefit to using a tuned pipe. There are a number of engines available today that emphasize reliability and reasonable power output (and today's reasonable is way beyond what would have been considered extreme several years ago)... these are excellent for beginner and general purpose sport flying use.

For the sport flyer, the benefit probably is still well shy of the cost -- consider that outside of the competition arena, you can easily fit the next size engine (with very little increase in price) to get a bigger power kick and that engine will be running within its designed operating conditions, so it should run more reliably and last longer than a smaller engine that's been hopped up.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:51 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default tuned pipes???

Al's right. Just to add something else, tuned pipes can be difficult to set up properly, and tend to make an engine run "peaky" meaning that the mid range suffers. There aren't too many applications for a tuned pipe anymore when it comes to sport flying, and they really aren't useful in any way to a beginner.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:32 AM
Jay7318713-RCU

Default tuned pipes???

Yes the Mac is good i would not get a Tuned pipe they will Drain all the life out quickly i got the light weight macs muffler