Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

JR XF421 pleas help im running out of places to go

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

JR XF421 pleas help im running out of places to go

Old 09-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Ski-bum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XF421 pleas help im running out of places to go

Ok first of all im a huge noob so keep that in mind when you read this. I have a JR XF 421 remote control and when I turn it on the battery display slowly dorps untill it just shuts off compleetly. The guys at the hobby shop realy only care about cars so they havent been any help. I have replaced the battery and one of the people at the flying feild sed something about a diode or something, but they dont realy care about my noob problem eather. Pleas help so I can fly agin.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:52 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JR XF421 pleas help im running out of places to go

either your not getting a full charge on the battery,,about 14 hours from your wall charger or there is some defect and you will need to send it back to JR for them to repair...Rog
Old 09-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Ski-bum

Hey thanks alot for the response. The only problem is the remote is about 2 years old, but I have only used it once do you think they will still take it?. Well ill try to send it back and thanks agin.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:06 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

JR's customer service is pretty good, but it's been two years and while they'd fix it I don't think it would be a freebie.
I would say the battery expired but you did replace it. Are you sure you're getting a good full charge out of your wall charger? It's possible it went south and you're not getting a full charge in your battery. Lousy flying field you're going to, one of the real basic concepts in this hobby is helping out the new guy. I realize TX is a big place but you mightr want to look around for another field. But as far as your radio... if you don't mind spending a few more dollars, take the wall charger up to your local Radio Shack and match it up (voltage and mAh output, as well as plug polarity, they'll be able to help) with a new charger, and see if that helps. I have to keep on badmouthing your local facilities, but your LHS should have offered to cycle your battery see if it would take a full charge. They really sound like they're independently wealthy and don't need your money. It's guys like that that keep Tower in buisness.

Sorry for the rant. more concise: check charger before sending radio off to JR.

Andy
Old 09-13-2004, 08:22 PM
carrellh

If you do send it to JR, send the charger also; that way they can verify it works correctly.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Ski-bum

Thanks agin. Yah the guys at the hobby shop well the ones that wrok there moast of the time are Teenagers so I never expected any coustomer service infact one of them acculy tried to sell me a race car battery. Any way im going to send the remote back when I get some spare time. To bussy right now studying.. (Yes im in highschool big deal atleast im starting young). Thanks agin
Old 09-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Teresa

Send it in....they are pretty quick about fixing it and getting it back to you. Usually only takes a week or ten days to have it back.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Redback

On some JR transmitters there is a fuse on the charge circuit. If it blows, no charge. As far as I can remember the Tx will still work until the battery runs down.

If the battery is not getting a charge it would do just about what you are seeing, show volts for a few seconds and then tail off fast. Leave it a while and it will recover enough to do the same again

I had a problem with a JR tranny of mine which was caused by a faulty jack on one of the chargers I was using. To get to the fuse you have to open the case. Would recommend this is only done by someone with some basic electrical knowledge.

Good luck

Terry
Old 09-13-2004, 10:29 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

I've had to change that fuse more than once. Had a charger go bad on me. If the fuse goes out, you get nothing ... what so ever...
Old 09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Ski-bum

Ok ill check out the fuse thing. I got the sutff back out for one last try to charg befor I ship it to jr, and when I plug in the charger it only charges if its in this "sweet spot" I half to mess with it and the light will go on then I let go and it goes off Its like theres somethign worng with the connection well I just wanted to see if you knew anything because I would prefer to keep the remote and fix it localy so I can fly asap.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Redback

Twistr says you get nothing when the fuse goes (my memory was a bit hazy on this) so that tends to rule out the fuze.

From your last post it sounds like the problem is with the charger plug or socket (the plug was the problem with mine which caused the fuze to blow)

Are you able to remove the battery and charge it outside of the Tx, or someway get a fully charged battery to put in?

If the problem is that the battery is not getting charged it should work OK with a fully charged battery (at least until the battery runs down). If this is what happens you have proved the problem to the charge circuit.

From your comments about a "sweet spot" it sounds like the problem is to do with contacts rather than the electronics. This means either the plug on the lead from the charger or the socket located insider the Tx itself.

Terry
Old 09-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Ski-bum

Ok thanks I am going to send it in to JR along with the charger and let them firgure it out because I dont know that much about elcetronics and would like to save my self the trouble of learing about them just to fix this. Well thanks for all of the replys and I will poast something up here when I get it back so you guise will have yet another experence under you belts to help the next noob.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Ski-bum

Ok I know what I told you in the last post but I just noticed that the things charging now (i left it hooked up). So now ive basicly got a 10 foot circle around the thing where nothing can breath touch or look at it so it will keep charging. I want to charg it and see if it holds that way I will know if I need a new battery as well as a better conection. I was wondering if I could fix this with out involving the JR people if it is just the charger or the connection on the remote because I have no idea how to fix that stuff but do you think some one at the hobby shop would?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Ski-Bum... Usually JR's stuff is warranted for 3 years. Every time I've had a crash or something unexplainable happens with my airplanes, I send the transmitter, receiver, batteries, switches and servos to Horizon. They check everything and I mean everything. Whatever the cause of your quick discharge, I'm sure they'd get to the bottom of it right away. Even if it costs a dollar or two, it's a lot less expensive than an airplane!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Ski-bum

Ok heres the latest I charged it for about 18 hours and Its still doing the same thing (this is the remote im talking about) so im giong to send it in. Thanks for all of your advice
Old 09-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Redback

If you get to find out what the problem is it would be good if you could update this post.

Might help someone else down the track.

Good luck

Terry
Old 09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Ski-bum

Ok heres the latest I charged it for about 18 hours and Its still doing the same thing (this is the remote im talking about) so im giong to send it in. Thanks for all of your advice
I think that's a very wise choice...
Old 09-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Ski-bum

Yes I will deffinatly update this when I get it back because I know how annoing it can be. just check back in about a week or so maby longer who konws
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 PM
davidgeorge212

Hi, I just found a JR XF421ex transmitter, (actually someone else found it at a yard sell with an airplane for $10).  Anyway it is in great shape but I dont know how old it is or anything.  My question is however that when I turn everything on and check the servo movements They are all reversed.  I can fix that easily on my spektrum dx7 but it doesnt seeme to be working on this jr tranmitter.  The manual says to push scroll and increase at the same time to enter into the menu for different options.  When I do that I can get any kind of menu at all.  It is always stays stuck on MD 1 (I am assuming that is model 1)

Anyone know what could be wrong?

David G.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 PM
BadSplice

it sounds like you are turning the radio on with the switches pushed up. That will get you into the menu that lets you choose between models and wing types. with the radio on, push both those switches up at the same time and it should take you to the other menu that has the reversing and sub trims.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Fil...217-manual.pdf
manual to download as a pdf document
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
davidgeorge212

thats the problem, I have tried it both ways and both ways do nothing. the menu stays the same, it just displays voltage and md1

david

Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
BadSplice

if youre still seeing the volts it sounds like one of the switches might not be working, so its not actually getting to the menus. Might be worth sending it in to Horizon for a tuneup.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:29 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I went through the same thing with the 421 ex, I ditched it, and went up in channels, but I really hope you get it fixed, just don't plug the attery in backwards, it'll be toast the first mili-second you hit the power switch, happened on 2 jr's I had, my own stupidity for plugging them in backwards, but live and learn I guess.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:23 PM
davidgeorge212

im not going to send it in, but Iwill tell my friend who got it that he can if he wants. For nowIwill just let him fly his $10 dollar airplane on my tranmitter till he gets it fixed or gets another one.

david g.