Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nose and tail wheel "throw"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nose and tail wheel "throw"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 11:40 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nose and tail wheel "throw"

My assembly instructions for tricycles and taildraggers do not specify what is the proper "throw" for the wheels. Is there any guideline that can be used for proper wheel control "throw" ? A clear guideline will really help to speed up my assembly time and reduce field adjustments. Thanks for the inputs.........
Old 08-06-2002, 11:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Limits" are : as little as possible!!!! Especially for nose gears - when the plane is taking off 1 degree of turn is toooooo much - well maybe 2 degrees

Seriously, you do NOT need much throw on a nose gear - I like to say if I can see it move, it is too much.....as far as tail wheels, no problem, if they can move less than the rudder, great! If they move the same, it is O.K. - the prop blast over the rudder will be more effective anyway.

Jerry
Old 08-07-2002, 02:19 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're using your nose/tailwheel only for tracking on takeoff and landing, then Tailskid might be right; however, at our field we taxi out from pits to end of runway, turn around into wind, and various other ground maneuvers, plus turning around after landing and taxiing back to pits. For these maneuvers, you need more than a couple of degrees of turning. I normally set my nosewheel for 15-20 degrees to either side. Tail wheel I usually have spring coupled to rudder. Tailskid is correct, that prop blast on rudder will control direction more than tailwheel will. I have had taildraggers where the tailwheel just castered freely, rudder did all the ground maneuvering.

I usually convert my tricycle gear models to taildragger, since I like to mount my engine so muffler hangs down at six o'clock, right where the nosegear would otherwise be. Plus taildragger is lighter, saves an ounce or two; coupled to rudder is simpler control than pushrod to nosewheel.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:51 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can't turn around in the width of your field, you don't have enough!