Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

trainers

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

trainers

Old 10-04-2004, 08:07 PM
legend234
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trainers

which gas powered trainer would be the best to start with?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Knighthawk2100

Default RE: trainers

Sig Cadet LT40 with a .46 Engine. Plane is awsome, and If you don't have a radio get a Futaba 7C
Old 10-04-2004, 10:00 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you can afford the 7C, by all means do it. If not, a standard 4 channel radio will serve you fine for a couple of years. The LT-40 with a 46 (say the Thunder Tiger PRO) is a good suggestion.

Find out what radio equipment your instructor uses, and go with that. You'll want it to be compatible with his.
Dennis-
Old 10-04-2004, 10:06 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

If you've got the Xtra $$$ to spend, a Sig Kadet Sr. is a great trainer plane. Very easy to fly and landings are so predictable and smooth. Runs good on grass runways too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15846.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	179595  
Old 10-05-2004, 02:35 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

I would suggest a SuperStar, It slows down nice, Has strong landing gear, easy to asemble, Forgiving, and can do basic areobatics, The only thing is that if you are takeing off high grass be ready for a long takeoff roll
Old 10-05-2004, 04:26 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

AT our field the LT-40 is the most popular.... there are also several Seniors at the field....

either one would be nice...

The ARF is very nice to start with...just built mine and it is going for its maiden tomorrow night
Old 10-05-2004, 05:22 PM
ballgunner

Depending on your eyesight and reaction time either the LT40 or the Senior Kadet are both fine trainers. If you intend stay with RC it's probably best to start with the LT40 because it has ailerons. The Senior is rudder/elevator and throttle only. Great for just flying around the patch and it's a large, easy to see airplane. I've had both and have no complaints about either one. Older guys pick the Senior because of its size and slow flying capabilities.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
ballgunner

P.S. Forgot to mention that the Kadet Senior ARF has ailerons on it's 80" wing.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:33 PM
viper1676
My Feedback: (14)

I learned on a Tower hobbie MKII...Good plane..very good flight characteristics....lands VERY slow, almost floats in....Very cheap only $80....only negative is that the nose wheel gear has a very short upper rod(where it connects to firewall), and is only connected by a small nylon sleeve and 2 small screws. Slightest bump and it will rip off...easy fix is to get a longer nose gear that extends into the motor mount.
Also flew very well with an OS 46LA...not the best choice if your looking for performance but it flew this plane great...but personally I would probably spend the extra few bucks for the Thunder Tiger 46pro...better powered motor
Hope this helps
Viper
Old 10-06-2004, 01:35 AM
plivez

The Prangster sounds good, check out the last post on this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/JP_P...1382424/tm.htm
Old 10-06-2004, 01:49 PM
mattbeme

Before I bought my trainer I did a thorough research of this site and a few others and the 2 most recommended trainers were--LT 40 and Hangar 9 Alpha. I bought the Alpha as it was more affordable for me. I feel the LT 40 is a little better made-stronger and higher quality. However, the Alpha comes complete with radio and Evolution .46 Ball Bearing engine. It sells for about $275 complete. A good deal. The plane flies wonderfully and the engine is powerful and very reliable. Many postings say the same. Very few people have had complaints about this plane. It is very popular at my field. The landing gear is very rugged. I once flew for 4 hours straight practising taking off and landing. Most of the many, many landings were hard. The landing gear would bend, then you just bend it back into position and go again. Some of the other trainers would have had the gear just rip right out and damage the fuse.

Also, I had hit a wire, sheared the wing off with the fuse diving right into asphalt. Beleive it or not, the fuse had only minor damage which was fixed in one evening and I was out again the next day. No engine damage either.

If you can find a good used engine and good used radio gear then you could buy an LT 40 and keep the cost to about the same as the Alpha.

Matt