Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: trainers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

trainers

which gas powered trainer would be the best to start with?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: trainers

Sig Cadet LT40 with a .46 Engine. Plane is awsome, and If you don't have a radio get a Futaba 7C
    Remember when Inverted Down is Up and Up is expensive!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IF you can afford the 7C, by all means do it. If not, a standard 4 channel radio will serve you fine for a couple of years. The LT-40 with a 46 (say the Thunder Tiger PRO) is a good suggestion.

Find out what radio equipment your instructor uses, and go with that. You'll want it to be compatible with his.
    Dennis-
    He who dies with the most toys is, none the less, still dead.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you've got the Xtra $$$ to spend, a Sig Kadet Sr. is a great trainer plane. Very easy to fly and landings are so predictable and smooth. Runs good on grass runways too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15846.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	179595  
    Fly \'em if ya got \'em !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would suggest a SuperStar, It slows down nice, Has strong landing gear, easy to asemble, Forgiving, and can do basic areobatics, The only thing is that if you are takeing off high grass be ready for a long takeoff roll

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AT our field the LT-40 is the most popular.... there are also several Seniors at the field....

either one would be nice...

The ARF is very nice to start with...just built mine and it is going for its maiden tomorrow night
    Extreme Flight RC tech support
    IMAC Vice President|IMAC Sequence Committee|IMAC National Judging Instructor|Team Futaba|Extreme Flight R/C|2014 IMAC World Championships Contest Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Depending on your eyesight and reaction time either the LT40 or the Senior Kadet are both fine trainers. If you intend stay with RC it's probably best to start with the LT40 because it has ailerons. The Senior is rudder/elevator and throttle only. Great for just flying around the patch and it's a large, easy to see airplane. I've had both and have no complaints about either one. Older guys pick the Senior because of its size and slow flying capabilities.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

P.S. Forgot to mention that the Kadet Senior ARF has ailerons on it's 80" wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I learned on a Tower hobbie MKII...Good plane..very good flight characteristics....lands VERY slow, almost floats in....Very cheap only $80....only negative is that the nose wheel gear has a very short upper rod(where it connects to firewall), and is only connected by a small nylon sleeve and 2 small screws. Slightest bump and it will rip off...easy fix is to get a longer nose gear that extends into the motor mount.
    Also flew very well with an OS 46LA...not the best choice if your looking for performance but it flew this plane great...but personally I would probably spend the extra few bucks for the Thunder Tiger 46pro...better powered motor
    Hope this helps
    Viper
    Pull up....Pull up...Wait I\'m upside down!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Prangster sounds good, check out the last post on this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/JP_P...1382424/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Before I bought my trainer I did a thorough research of this site and a few others and the 2 most recommended trainers were--LT 40 and Hangar 9 Alpha. I bought the Alpha as it was more affordable for me. I feel the LT 40 is a little better made-stronger and higher quality. However, the Alpha comes complete with radio and Evolution .46 Ball Bearing engine. It sells for about $275 complete. A good deal. The plane flies wonderfully and the engine is powerful and very reliable. Many postings say the same. Very few people have had complaints about this plane. It is very popular at my field. The landing gear is very rugged. I once flew for 4 hours straight practising taking off and landing. Most of the many, many landings were hard. The landing gear would bend, then you just bend it back into position and go again. Some of the other trainers would have had the gear just rip right out and damage the fuse.

Also, I had hit a wire, sheared the wing off with the fuse diving right into asphalt. Beleive it or not, the fuse had only minor damage which was fixed in one evening and I was out again the next day. No engine damage either.

If you can find a good used engine and good used radio gear then you could buy an LT 40 and keep the cost to about the same as the Alpha.

Matt
    Why won\'t crashing win me any awards? I\'m so good at it!