Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

DP Ultimate 120

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

DP Ultimate 120

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 06:27 PM
swirlsworld
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DP Ultimate 120

Flying my Funtana for about a year...
Am I ready for my DP ultimate 120 w/Saito 180???
Old 10-14-2004, 07:04 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DP Ultimate 120

I would say so...

If you can afford it get the YS140DZ...3.2 HP versus the saito 180 at 2.8hp and quite a bit lighter for about the same price and just about everyone has the 140DZ in stock.

I own a CG Ultimate, beautiful plane and flys great with the YS110FZ on it.. Carl Goldberg and Dave Patrick planes are very similiar in flying qualities
Old 10-14-2004, 07:10 PM
swirlsworld

Isn't the YZ quite a bit more $$? I think it listed for over 500$ while the saito is 399$. Is it worth the extra casheesh???
Old 10-14-2004, 07:16 PM
swirlsworld

Can this plane be fairly docile with low rates??? Yours is a beauty Bubbagates!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:18 PM
bubbagates

Oh yea, the YS is most definitely worth it. Gobs of power and torque. As an example, when I first got my Ultimate I had a YS91AC in it (used) After about 50 flights in shot the connecting rod. I started looking for the YS110 but no one had any in stock until another RCU member found one in CO for me. In the meantime until I got the YS110 I had a fresh Saito 120 lying around so I bolted it in and even though the HP figures were very close (the Saito 120 has 2.2 and the YS91AC has 2.0) the YS91AC blew away the Saito big time turning the same prop. Now I have the YS110 in which has 2.3 HP versus the Saito 120 and it smokesit easily.

And thanks I like mine to. I have my low rates at half and high at book throws and it's real docile on low and not to bad on high. I does have a couple of pitch coupling issues but nothing to bad. The first one is when the rudder is applied in either direction, the nose drops (pulls to the belly or called pitch coupling), The second one is also a roll coupling with rudder in either direction. When rudder is applied it wants to roll in the direction the rudder is applied.

I have mixed both of these out with the radio.

I flew two DP ultimates and did not see the tendencies as much as I have with the CG Ultimate, not that they are that bad to start with.

The YS140DZ has 3,2 hp
The Saito 180 has 2.8 hp

Oh and one other thing, all YS engines are fuel injected and supercharged and the tank is pressurized with a pressure setup that uses the crancase and a check valve to keep a constant fuel pressure (the check valve comes with the engine) so it will not matter where you put the fuel tank, I have mine right on the CG. That way the planes CG does not change as the fuel is burned off. To do that with the Saito, a few pump will be required. The pressure system used on the YS can also be used to pressurize a smoke system if you so desire. I read somewhere that a YS110 pressurizes the fuel tank at around 9psi. That seems high but they also recommend that you use fiberglass reinforced packing tape and wrap it around the tank to keep it from swelling.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

You might consider the YS140FZ (Sport). It only a few bucks more than the Saito, more power and has the pressurized fuel system of the YS line. The DZ is going to cost some serious bucks. I would definitely say YS110 or YS140. The fuel system and power make the difference.

The plane is fairly docile on lower rates, but it is not a trainer. It's a little unstable, as most aerobatic planes are, in that there is no self correction. It won't fly from horizon to horizon with hands off the transmitter. It seems to beg you to stir the sticks around, that's when it's happy. The roll rate is very high even with seemingly small aileron throws. Big ailerons and 4 of them add up to fast rolls. If you have experience with an aerobatic low wing plane, the Ultimate should be no problem.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

HI,

I was trying to obtain more info from somebody who own or flue DP Ultimate. It is awesome looking plane and I really want to get one. After reading the posts I think I should decide between the Saito 180 and YS 140. But I still have the hole bunch of questions; how many and what servos you guys using in your DP Ultimate, how many servos extensions I need to buy, spinner sizes etc. I also want to read the fly report. I am flying EF Yak 54 (68”) and I am doing pretty well. I want to know if it worth it to get the bipe. Is it any advantages to have two wings?? Better walls and flat spins?? Also, if somebody can post the pictures that will be great!!!

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:51 PM
bubbagates

Born2fly

Click on this link and then read rhe R/C magazine report. At the beginning he answers all of your question

http://www.davepatrickmodels.com/dpm...e/ultimate.htm
Old 10-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks. I already read that. This information is kind of old. It says 2000 on the top of that report. I was thinking that this kit change since than. I really want to hear more opinions from the people who actually assemble and flew that plane, it is always a some mods you can do to make your life easier..