Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Electric?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 12:18 PM
BillInFlorida

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Electric?

I am a former private pilot. I have flown basic .40-size glow models using a "trainer" connection several times. I got right/left reversed a few times while the plane was approaching me, and the plane's owner took over control. After that, I was able to keep the plane under control for minutes at a time, doing rolls, loops, figure 8's and low approaches. It wasn't smooth, but I kept it under control, and even the owner began to relax!

I am now ready to buy my first R/C airplane, and I have decided to go the electric route. I am considering the Graupner Tipsy as a first purchase. I live in Florida, a few miles from the Gulf, so calm days are few and far between. Do you readers think this is a good choice? If not, why not, and what would you recommend as an alternative? Many thanks.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:58 PM
BingoFlyer

Default First Electric?

Bill,

I would stay with glow for now it is much easier for a beginner. Electric planes must be built lighter so they can carry the heavier batteries required to give sustained flight.

Although I tend to build very light (lighter flies better) my sport planes still come out to about 16-18oz/sq, ft mostly because I tend to over power. Even with having said that I don't think my building skills would allow me to build an electric light enough for me to get the performance I like.

I also think that glow is much cheaper and less bother, no need to have three battery packs for a days flying (one to fly, one cooling, and one charging).

I live in FL during the winter so I know about your wind, I think that clow is better in the wind also.

I'm sure that those in the silent flight will not agree but that is MHO.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:37 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default First Electric?

Bill,
Bingo Flyer makes some good points....and even though I can go a short distance to fly my 2 electrics, I still perfer to drive to the field to fly my glow models. If you do decide to go electric, the Graupner Tipsy that you mentioned is suppossed to be a good plane. I have a Wattage Mini-Max that flies great, but you need very calm conditions to fly it.

Mike