Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hitec Owners Please Help me Out

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hitec Owners Please Help me Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 01:39 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec Owners Please Help me Out

I finally got around to setting up my Ultra Stick 40 and my new Hitec Flash 5. Now the problem I have is I cant get enough throw on high rates.....low rates are no problem. I've got the control rods set on the bottom of the clevis on the control surface and the rod in the farthest hole on the servo end. Also my clevis holes are inline with hinge line. I'm using the standard white servo horn. and yes I even tried to bump up the EPA to 125% also ...........But I notice in the hardware package that came with the servos there is a type of horn that is adjustable........its slides in and out to get the proper length......and is held tight by the servo screw........Is this ok to use on a plane ,as in the alerion and elevator????......Or does Hitec throw it in to maybe use with apps like with a rc car or boat? Thought maybe someother Hitec users could please help me out. Thanks, JT
Old 08-17-2002, 02:24 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Adjustable throttleservo horn

JT the adjustable horn is for use on throttle to give a a little extra throw adjustment for some throttles and are not really intended for the other controls.

It sounds as though your mechanical set up is ok. I know from your other posts that you have been experimenting with the programing quite a bit and thats good with a new radio but you may have some programing imputs that have not been cleared out.

The very first thing to do when seting up a new model in the radio is to select your model number in the tx as per manual, next step is to return 'factory defaults' as per the manual then you can proceed to endpoint adjustment and afterward dual rates.

John
Old 08-17-2002, 05:12 AM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also make sure that your control surface can move that far in the first place. I've been having some trouble with my Quickie 500 because the control surfaces were too stiff.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Sewerdude

Ok, I looked at the manual for the US 40 again......I see now, I thought the high rate for the alerions was 1 7/16...........its not its 1 1/4. Guess I need to get some glasses. The eyes are the first to go?.....Thought is was the memory. Anyway, something else I was concerned about was I was getting more throw in the down alerion then the up. I didnt know I could adjust both the up and down EPA for the alerion servos. Just move the stick and set your %. Easy as pie. Starting to really like this radio. As much questions I've asked and tickiering I've done with this radio. I should be a expert in about a month. ..........But dont count on it... Thanks, JT
Old 08-17-2002, 03:40 PM
JohnBuckner

****Ain,t technology great?****

John
Old 08-17-2002, 04:09 PM
2rolls
My Feedback: (16)

Default JT Indiana

Those Hitec "adjustable" servo arms are an accident waiting to happen!! Don't use them for ANY airplane application. Buy longer aftermarket servo arms if necessary. Just be sure the spline is compatable with the Hitec gear. (Futaba is not). The reason I know this is in my buddy's trash barrel! ....croz
Old 08-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Sewerdude

Yeap, those adjustable arms just didnt look to dependable to me. JT
Old 08-17-2002, 04:54 PM
JohnBuckner

To the contrary Tworolls the adjustable horns are indeed safe and well suited to the task for their intended purpose and that is on the throttle!

Now because your friend chose to mix proprietary components on his servos cannot be blamed on the horn design, fact is Airtronix, Hitec and futaba all use their own spline. Not sure about JR but suspect it also is non compatable. If your friend had chosen to use a Futaba say round horn on a Hitec or vice versa the failure would have happened anyway and I have witnessed just that.

The adjustable horn 'for throttle use' is a valuble asset, Even more so with the non computer radio. Bad mouthing a useful tool just because of someones abuse of it will serve no good to anyone.

John
Old 08-17-2002, 04:57 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Something else you need to do is ONLY GET SERVO ARMS MADE BY HITEC!!! We had a guy bring his Sig Extra 300 with Saito 180 on it out, and the servo arms that he had were the wrong kind. The package said "for Hitec servos" but they didnt work. He almost lost the plane because of it. The splines in it were different, and the arm would slip under a heavy load.