Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine)

Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine)

Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Dave trimmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine)

Hey, 3 things 1. i have a channel 14 remote (futaba) if anyone needs it, it has batery and charger, but needs two clips to connect the batery

2. does anyone have a 40 sized low wing trainer, i have the engine and radio equipment

3. how do I find out if some one has PM ed me

Thanks, Dave trimmer
Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Dave trimmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Never mind I found the pm's

Thanks DT
Old 08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dave, In the top right hand corner of ever page you will see a link called "inbox" it looks like the following pic. If you have it turned on it your settings, ou will also get a pop-up box telling you that you have a new PM message.

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Dave trimmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks, bubbagates
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 PM
bubbagates

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no problem. Sorry I did not get back in here quicker. I was creating the post and when it refreshed, there was yours...
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM
sparky577

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the spirit of this thread, I have a Sig Somethin' Extra that I would like to donate to a needy pilot. The plane is completely assembled, covered, and only needs an engine and radio gear to be ready for flight. I have flown it 5 or 6 times, and it flies very nicely. I built it from a kit, and the only problem is that the conrol surfaces need to be re-hinged since the gaps are too large, and I wasn't the best builder when I built it. I live in Bealeton, Va, and the plane can be picked up anytime. Keep in touch, and happy flying!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:51 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bump
Old 08-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice work, Bruce!

Old 08-28-2006, 03:19 PM
scoooper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

roowave ::I've been shead'in some Q-500 pylon planes lately, it sounds like you got the right stuff ( 4CH-40 moter etc.) you think you could handle one? let me know, your bub, scoooper PS Their vet's but all there( tough old birds!!),
Old 08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

scooper - roowave has not posted since December of 2004. He might still be interested but try to find a post a bit more current IMO to deal with. Thanks for the offer, maybe someone else will take you up on the offer. Not trying to hassle you, just think you missed the posting date.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:33 PM
scoooper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bruce88123: thanks my bub I did'nt notice till I'd posted, Maybe some of our other bub's might needy-need'in, I to was giv'in a old trainer ( 4CH Kadet with a 40 on her) at a time when I could'nt afford fuel much less a plane, Wel I thought I'd died an gone to heaven!!! just hope I can help someone else have some fun, your bub scoooper PS I STILL fly her 25 years later,,,, heres a pix
Old 03-20-2007, 08:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Many of the older members of this forum have expressed some concerns to me through PM about where the Pay It Forward thread had gone. It didn't go anywhere, just kind of slipped down the list of threads in the forum. This thread was the brainchild of RCU member Bubbagates, and many of us have come aboard to help him out. In the time that the thread slipped down the forum list Bubba was going through some things including changes at work and problems with his father's health. Out of respect for Bubba I left the PIF thread on the back burner until he was back into the position to get back involved with the project. I've talked to him and he says that he's ready to see if we can "relaunch" the project. So here we go.

For those older members that remember the PIF thread/project I don't need to explain what it's all about. But I'll give a description for the newer members who may not have seen this thread before. Basically the Pay it Forward thread was born out of somebody that had some extra equipment (an engine) that he wanted to give away, his only stipulation was that later on the person receiving the engine help somebody else out. And just like the movie of the same name, that's what this is all about. If you need some help getting into the hobby, or need individual items, let us know and we'll see if we can find something for you. The only condition is that later on down the road you should help out somebody else getting started (or here in the PIF thread). If you have items that you can donate to the PIF you can offer them up to people out there that might need them. This is basically what goes on in here. I know that this thread has helped a lot of people out in the past, and we're hoping we can get that going again. There are only a couple of little "rules" that need to be observed (isn't there always rules to get in the way?? ). The first of which is that this isn't a "shopping" mall where you can come hunting for things that you might need, but don't want to pay for. This cause is here to help out people that may have some real need for some help in getting into this hobby. The second rules is that Bubbagates is the FINAL decision maker on any donations that go out of here, and his word is absolute. This may sound harsh but it's a necessary rule. In the past we have had people that have tried to "con" the PIF system just because they were too cheap to actually pay for something, or had their own little games going on (no names, but the older members know who I am talking about). So when a decision needs to be made Bubba gets to put his foot down because "he da boss" here. And the administration of RCU has given him their full support, so he gets to run this whole deal!!!!

If anybody out there wants to help out the PIF with items or cash but don't want to hold the items they can box them up and send them to me or Bubbagates as a holding area. Both of us have a stockpile left from last year when PIF was running at full steam and we're happy to add to that. Please feel free to contact either Bubbagate or me by PM if you want to contribute. The only thing I ask is that if you contact me you also include Bubba in that PM so that he can keep the master list of donations up to date.

So with that said, let's see if we can help some people out there get into this great hobby!!! Hopefully Bubba will jump in here and add his greeting in as we re-launch this thread.

Ken
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
bubbagates

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First off I am glad to see that it's back at the top again and I am sorry for not keeping up with it for a long time. Most of the members that know me here on RCU know exactly what the main issue was.

Ok for a litlte refresher of what this is all about from my view point.

This was started as a way for me to give back to this fine hobby all that it has given me and that is joy beyond any words I could possibly use. I was very lucky as I had a full scale background but I approached doing RC without the attitude that hey I can fly ful scale this should be a breeze. Oh don't get me wrong I thought it but I tried my best to let it never get in the way of learning how to do RC correctly. It did help that I knew when to flair, how to control the plane on the ground but not being able to feel the plane was hard at first It took me exactly 6 flights over the course of one week to solo, my instructor was putting his hand into his pocket and would actually hold conversations with other members while only looking at me flying once in a while. Now before anyone says that's dangerous, beleive me for the first two flights he was very careful but on the second flight I idd my first takeoff and the third flight I did my first landing, all wewre like glass. I spent my 4th flight doing nothing but touch and goes and was getting comment that I had to be lying about never doing this before.

Now jump ahead to the day I soloed. I met a young boy that our club took under their wing. This young boy has a very nasty disease that only allows very small movements of both his hands and he can only turn his head to the right and very slightly to the left. He needed to be on a buddy box for those two reason and only those two reasons. This kid could fly because his hand limitations were exactly what he needed since most new people tend to over-control, there was no possible way he could. BTW, he was wheelchair bound but it was one really cool chair with little headlights, tail lights and even turn signals among many other things it could do for him

After seeing this kid fly I was impressed between what he could do and what the club had done for him, I started asking about his history with the club and soon found out they gave him a lifetime membership, donated G2 and a computer to him and bought him his trainer. Not to long after I soloed I was asked to help out on instruction day and quickly was rated as an instructor and by this time I had moved to a Teist and 4*60 (I still own the 4* with over 1000 flights on it) Anyway, this kid decided he wanted to try my Twist and I was hesitant. One other member had a very fast sleek foamy that he let this kid fly. I watched this kid wring this thing out and had to chase the flies out of my mouth beause it was hanging open. anyway needless to say I let him have at the 4* and I watched him put that thing through maneuvers you would like a 4* could never do. At one point I had a video of him wringing it out but I can not find it at the moment. Well after about a season worth of him and I flying a lot together and me giving him advanced aerobatics instruction I was letting him have at my 1/4 scale planes and found myself doing exactly what my instructor was doing when he trained me and that was stiking my hand in my pocket and my other thumb getting sore from hold the darn trainer button. I would even ask to take control at times to give me thumb a break

Fast forward to 3 days before this thread was started. I saw a thread by RCU member Razor where he was just giving away an engine. I spoke to him and asked if he minded if I would take it one step forward and this is the result. One of the very first things that this thread did was to by that kid I was talking about his very own Twist and a complete JR sport radio through the donations we got. Seeing this just blew me away, this thread was bringing out the good in people and did until the day it was removed from being a sticky. Yes as Ken said we had people try to do not so nice things but with careful questioning we were able to weed a lot of that out. ths thread showed me something I saw from the very first time I went to the flied and that was 99% of the people in this hobby will happily help out as much as possible without asking for anyting in return

My point to all of this is, Ken and I are here to help in anyway possible to get two people together, one that has something to give and one that needs something. What this thread is all about is helping those that are in need, that want to really do this and stick with it as best they can. Ken and I will play mediator if need be but we do request that if someone has something to donate they post it in here, if someone wants what is being donated that the request go through the PM system to keep it private. Once the item(s) have been donated. please edit the post with the listed items to say that they no longer are available. If for ome reason you cannot edit the post (in most cases members cannot edit a post they did after 230 days) Ken is a moderator in here so he can hel out in that respect

We also understand it is very hard to ask for something, I know at times my pride gets in the way, so we are more than willing to help with that as well. We will get two poeple talking to one another to try to make it easier, but I can guarentee you that if we get involved, some questions will be asked. I will not go into detail on those questions as this is how we rtry to determine an actual need versus someone that just wants something for free. I susgeest that if we do not get involved, the person that is donating someting ask questions to be sure the request is sincere. I really hate having to say that but there are some people, well lets just leave it at that.

Now and I really hate to have to say this, but the only ruile of this whole idea is what Ken has already said, when you no longer need the item that was donated to you then you must donate it back to someone else. Read back through this thread and you can see it happned a bunch of times. We do understand things happen, engine/planes and such get destroyed for various reasons. I even helped one person out with a trainer because he was using it to teach phsically challenged people. Please re-donate it. thorugh here if at all possibel. If you donate it it to say womeone at your club, then at least tell us about it

I love to hear stories of how something you donated is getting used or that you passed on something that was donated to you, it gives me the warm and fuzzies and makes me feel good knowing I helped someone. No it's not an ego trip. Not even close, I love knowing that I helped make a difference in someones life. I do not want anyting in return, I have never asked for anything from this for my own usage and never will, though on occasion I will ask for someone on their behalf that I personally know

Over the next few days I will take stock of what I have that I no longer need, I know of at least 2 enigines, batteries, servos and maybe a receiver or two and get this thing started again

So for such the long post...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:12 PM
dpenoncello

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi iam new to the sport and i call it a sport because it takes alot of checking and studying to learn how to fly. I went to a fun fly back in agust at a club near me. I paid the ten dollar donation and got a ticket for a drawing. I won a .46 two stroke engine its a evolutin nt and i was wondering if anyone had a used plane that would fit his motor and could tell me what else i would need. I have never flown gas and have to be instructed. I have only flown horizon hobbies commander 2 but i cna fly that easily. It cost me 74.99 at my hobby shop. Is there any one out there that could help me as i don,t have much to offer but appreciation and wolud even give up my electric to someone if i could build a gas setup.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
andrewtexas123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im 13 and out of money dont have time for a job and i am to young. I am just getting in to the plane side of the hobby and i need or shall i say want some ele's looking for any ele's that arnt being used..

Thanks Andrew
Old 03-28-2007, 03:56 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What are "ele's"? Electric planes?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW Andrew, aren't you living in Texas now? If so you might want to change your address so the right people will know to answer. Nobody in U.S. is going to ship anything to England I'd say.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
bubbagates

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The intent of this thread is not to get someone that is already into the hobby started on another part but to start someone completely new.

Folks, be sure that you do some searching when you are thinking about donating something
Old 03-29-2007, 01:28 AM
andrewtexas123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bruce88123, I am living in the uk but going there this saterday for to weeks.

Bubba, my misstake i thought it was for people who could not afford it...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
grimmy55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi ,, Its certainly good to see all the stuff (goodies ) for sale the part that gets to a lot of us overseas type peoples is its always only for sale with in U.S.A and Canada whats wrong with sending to some far flung place like us here in N.Z its not really going to inconvience the seller if we are willing to pay the freight its only a matter of calling D H L or U P S and filling in the frieght docket and they,ll sort it out for all concerned ,I,m sure it would create more sales for all concerned and give us all more satisfaction ,,anyway thats my two cents worth grimmy
Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some may have just noticed that this thread is no long a sticky, or that they can no longer reply to this thread. It is with some deep regret that we had to do this to the PIF thread. After bringing this project back active we have been completely swamped with requests from people that just wanted "free stuff". That's not the purpose of the PIF, nor was it ever.

Ken