Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New to RC airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to RC airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 05:30 PM
TigerEye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC airplanes

Hi im new to flying RC airplanes, I have a Graupner Mini Piper, have you tred this?? I hear they fly well and are good for beginners. Also i have two very large feilds near my house, will these do well for flying or do you have to go fly in specified areas. These feilds are open areas and ussually have no people in sight. Also is there any links that list all the clubs in the US. Im thinking of joining a club. Any ideas or suggestion for my first flights would also be appriciated. Thx
Old 08-20-2002, 06:02 PM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Default Join a Club

As most other threads with similar questions, I suggest that you join a club and get an instructor before you go any further. If you go and fly in one of those fields that are within range of one of the clubs that you know of then you may shoot down one of their planes or someone may shoot down your plane that is on the same frequency as you.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:27 PM
uonlylivetwice
My Feedback: (2)

What is the range, roughly? I just got to thinking, where I am moving is pretty close to a flying field, maybe three miles away. Is that too close to be turning on a tx at home?
Old 08-20-2002, 06:34 PM
Blackie

Its not wise to fly your plane without assistance. I have heard a lot of stories of beginners taking their planes up thinking they can fly but wind up telling us of there dilemma. The best thing to do is first get your AMA card then locate a field nearest to you with instructors. Your local hobby shop should have a list of locations.

Randy
Old 08-20-2002, 06:43 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Default Tough question!

That's close enough that it would worry me, personally.
Especially if you're on a hilltop and the field is in a low-lying area.
I'm guessing that it "probably" wouldn't be an issue even at 2 miles, but
that's just a guess. I've never done any "extended range testing" before.

The likelyhood is that it wouldn't hurt anything, as natural or manmade obstructions
would keep your signal from going that far, and the flyers' signals being much
stronger at a much closer range, would have no trouble getting through.

Still... on a day with the conditions "just right", who knows?
I'd say it's a small risk, but a risk, nonetheless.

Safer to use the DSC cable, if your radio is so equipped.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:55 PM
No1RCfan

there is a list of ama chartered clubs on the ama website http://www.modelaircraft.org/
Old 08-20-2002, 11:42 PM
TerrellFlyer

go to hobby shops and find the local clubs,also us the ama web page to find them,even if you drive an hour to get there,you'll come out ahead.Most clubs have trainer planes with buddy box,attached to an instructor,also lots of good advice and different planes to see at a club,flying isn't all that big a deal by itself,but with a group of friends,old and new it then becomes a great experence that normally last a lifetime.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:56 AM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

I am a beginning beginner, I have not flown yet. However I worked in the electronics/communications industry for way too many years. Under the right conditions your radio could easily span the three miles to a nearby field.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:21 AM
TIGER2PLANE

The R/C radios are mostly line of sight so if you have a hill or large building between you and your R/C field you will be alright. Unless you are using Real flight and doing Sim time, do go and find some one to get you in the air. One thing they will do is check your bird out and make sure you are ready to fly. Quite a few newbies that I have checked I have always found that something was not put in right and we had to make the changes before getting airborne, And they have all become very good flyer's
Old 08-22-2002, 09:30 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

TigerEye,
Visit your local hobby shop for help on your local RC clubs. If you don't know here that is, visit our Beginners page and enter your ZIP and you will get a list. As far as an online list. Visit the AMA site for the list of clubs in your state.

http://modelaircraft.org/
It is under About AMA, Chartered Clubs.