Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

World Models Decals question

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

World Models Decals question

Old 11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
jcaz72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Decals question

I am new almost to any kind of Decals used on the ARF models and when it came the time to apply the ones included on my WM T-34 mentor I just followed the procedures I got browsing RCU forums. Since there is no instruction on the WM manual (very short one by the way) on how to apply the decals I just used soap water to release the decal fm the backing and applied them squeezing the bubbles and water out. They got dry on the plane and looked very nice. However, I am finding now that one of the decals is peeling off and on closer inspection found that there is a plastic film, which is peeling off, over the real graphics which by the way remain firmly sticked to the plane. So it is not the whole decal that is peeling off but only the plastic film over the graphics while the actual graphics remain attached.

I have tried to remove completely the plastic film so the graphics look better but it is not possible to simply pull it out without affecting the graphics. Did I do something wrong with this decals? Is there anything I am missing to do?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:46 PM
ooooo

Default RE: World Models Decals question

I noticed on my WM plane the same thing happening to one (1) on my decals...the one that you place on the cowl that says .." powered by....". The plastic is coming off the decal. I left it and in time I hope it comes of completely without damaging the rest of the decal. Just leave it alone and see what happens.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:55 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They're only self stick decals.... you don't need water to release them from the backing. You can use soapy water or windex to help get them positioned, then squeegee all the water out and let the decal set. As far as the decal delaminating, that's a new one on me. I've seen a couple WM models that were flying for quite a while, and their declas looked fine. You might try applying a coat of clear monokote paint over them to seal them down, as nitromethane is bad for them.

I didn't use all the WM decals for my T-34, so if you need one or two let me know and I can probablly mail them out to you. I wanted a U.S. Navy T-34, not some generic foreign navy setup.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80353.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	198273  
Old 12-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to scan the decals into the computer for future use. If I have a repair that includes one of the decals, I just print it out on water slide decal paper, clear coat it, and apply it. Beats the heck out of paying a bunch of money for replacement decals.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:56 AM
jcaz72

a65l,

Thanks for the offering but no need, I do have enough replacement decals in case I need them. I am planning to let the delamination be completed by itself while I observe the other decals placed on the plane. It has just happened to one so far...

In a different question, how do you do to put your pictures as thumbnails? Just yesterday I uploaded one of my pictures into the forum and it showed full sized...
Old 12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just use the "reply" button on the post and upload.

Andy
Old 12-01-2004, 07:37 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I quite putting decals on planes, since most do what you are experiencing after long exposure to fuel. I really got agravated at Hangar Nine for already installing them on my new funtana 90. I'd rather make my own stuff with monocote or ultracote, or get good vinyl graphics. The way you put them on works for most of us, so you don't get bubbles, if you tried to stick them on dry. Some folks even spray the edges with clear epoxy, but you really start putting additional unnecessary weight on the plane. I don't know about you, but I have my planes to fly and enjoy. They fly much better when they weigh less. that particular airplane you have is a great low wing trainer, and when balanced right flat spins like crazy. I have a WM Fun World 3D 120 with a ST G2300 on it. Really flies great and is very light for it's size. Good luck with your mentor.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

It is what usually happens to WM decals. They are junk. I use low heat iron to stick pilling out polyethylene on them back. It helps. I think polyethylene layer protect them from fuel.