Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Graupner Super Air aka Black horse models?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Graupner Super Air aka Black horse models?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 11:42 PM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graupner Super Air aka Black horse models?

Has anyone got one of these recently? The reason that I ask is that I just got one of these from Hobby-Lobby and I am not that impressed with it. It actually says "Black Horse Models" on the box. No where does it say Graupner anywhere! RC Universe gave it a good review. First of all the instructions that came with it are not the right ones, they are the ones for the tail dragger version, mine is the tricylce landing gear. And I tell you what, these are the worst instructions that I have ever seen!! Second, the manual "shows pictures" on how to install the aileron servos. Not really a big deal, but my mounting system for the ailerons is completely different than what the manual shows! It comes with a piece of balsa in which the servo mount to the underside of it and the sevro is then "inside" the wing with only the servo arm sticking out! Thats ok two but, when you get full throw the servo arm hits the servo mounting plate! I looks as if I am having to make major modifications to make this thing work.

Has anyone else got one of these and encountered any of these problems?

Thanks
KillerG
Old 12-09-2004, 02:00 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Graupner Super Air aka Black horse models?

ORIGINAL: killerG

Has anyone got one of these recently? The reason that I ask is that I just got one of these from Hobby-Lobby and I am not that impressed with it. It actually says "Black Horse Models" on the box. No where does it say Graupner anywhere! RC Universe gave it a good review. First of all the instructions that came with it are not the right ones, they are the ones for the tail dragger version, mine is the tricylce landing gear. And I tell you what, these are the worst instructions that I have ever seen!! Second, the manual "shows pictures" on how to install the aileron servos. Not really a big deal, but my mounting system for the ailerons is completely different than what the manual shows! It comes with a piece of balsa in which the servo mount to the underside of it and the sevro is then "inside" the wing with only the servo arm sticking out! Thats ok two but, when you get full throw the servo arm hits the servo mounting plate! I looks as if I am having to make major modifications to make this thing work.

Has anyone else got one of these and encountered any of these problems?

Thanks
KillerG
KillerG, they are one in the same. The Black Horse Super air is a great flying plane but be careful of the tip stall if you get it too slow. I did a maiden for a friend of mine on his which went great. I gave him the controls and he stalled the wing and couldn't recover. Totalled after one flight. Other than that the plane flys great and comes in a little fast as the wings are thin which will need more speed to create enough lift. This plane is very much like a Super Sportster.

Is this your second plane?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Zafer

Hi,

I have my second Super Air with Irvine .53 engine. It flies well and lands like a trainer. Rolls are fast, Knife Edge Flighs not so well *or maybe thats only me.......Good inverted flight. I like it so much so I bought the second one. Construction is strong. You are right about the instructions. They are not bright. Graupner and Black Horse Super Air is the same aircraft with different price tags.(and different manuals).

Everybody likes it in the field. Covering is also not bad. It also handels well on the grass. If you sand the aileron servo arm holes just a bit they will move freely. It likes the CG forward (or recommended CG), otherwise would like to stall more easily.

Bon chance.

Regards.

Zafer
Old 12-09-2004, 04:04 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Blackhorse ARF's (& many others) it is good idea to check the glue in the hinges (particularly the elevator) -- often enough there is little glue in there -- the hinges are held by the pins only -- for a while.

With the Super Air, tip stalling is not a serious problem if keep your speed up in turns, particularly during landing approaches. I have, however, seen some Super Airs that had a tendency to snap violently with the sudden application of full up elevator. This is great for doing snaps -- but it can kill your model if it occurs near the deck.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:21 PM
killerG

DTB
This is my second plane. I have a PT-40 that I learned to fly with. After about 12 solo flights I have decided that I have outgrown it and need somthing "more". Yes, I am a newbee to the hobby! I got the Super Air because it looks good and it uses 2 aileron servos and I can use flaperons if i want to.
I just started to build it and as of last night I have got the aileron servos hooked up. And boy I can get as much as 3/4 in either direction. Anyone have any good starting points for the throws or is the manuals specs good enough?
Otherwise thanks for all of the info.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:15 PM
killerG

Well, I have just finished building the Super Air. Overall it went together pretty smoothly. I am having problems trying to get it balanced. I am using an OS 46fx up front and I am using a Futaba 1000mah 4 cell battery pack. The battery pack is just in front of the servo tray(part of the battery is shoved under where the cut out for the on/off switch is) and the 7 ch futaba receiver is just behind the fuel tank. The manual states that the CG is 120mm behind the leading edge of the wing. With this setup like I have it is still very nose heavy. If I move the battery behind the servo tray (towards the rear of the plane) I just know it is going to be tail heavy.

How did you guys balance your Super Air? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 09:54 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Killer G - DO NOT take the CG of a Black Horse to the aft most position for your maiden flight, they sometimes get it wrong on the aft position. If it is like say 100-110 always keep it at maybe 100-105 for maiden and then slowly take it back. Does the manual say 120 or perhaps 110-120? As for throws try this for all planes, its very safe and flyable for a maiden:

Low

Ail - 1/4" or 3/8"
Ele - 3/4"
Rud - 1" to 1.5"

Set something a smidge more for high rates.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:32 PM
killerG

Thanks for the info.
I will try those rates for the maiden flight. as for the CG I have been lifting it up from the wing tips. Now I know to do it from the wing roots. Will 100mm be ok?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:26 AM
tIANci

KillerG - you are funny ... so if it is about say 100-120 then keep it to about 105, you will be safe. What does it say for the range?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 PM
killerG

How am i funny?
The manual doesn't give a range it just says 120mm from the leading edge.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:58 PM
tIANci

Funny as in taking the CG at the wing tips. Only 120? Hmmmm ... try at 110-115 perhaps, nose heavy planes will fly. Its my habit to always keep the plane slightly nose heavy for a maiden then as I fly I will take the CG back.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
CHIPINWV

I too found the same problems. The manual is full of typos, and mine was for the taildragger also. You can fix the servo arm problem with a longer arm. That's what I did. I had a major problem with mounting the fuel tank. The tank that came with it didnt fit, and I had to use a longer 10 oz tank in its place, plus I had to cut out part of the bulkhead that is inside toward the front in order to get the tank in. I have no idea why they put a bulkhead in the way of the tank. I also found that the nose gear pushrod was out of line about 1/4 inch and would bind up big time. I solved this by putting a servo EZ connector on the end of the nose gear arm. I had to grind it down a bit for the nylon retainer to "snap" on. This made the pushrod line up better. For the price, its not a bad ARF. I will fly it later.

Chipinwv
Old 02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
killerG

CHIPINWV, Yes, your right not the best ARF, but I just maidened mine today and it flew pretty well. I have waited over a month and a half to get this thing in the air. So much for good So. California weather. It has rained on everyone of my days off of work since I finished building this thing alsmost 2 months ago. I wasn't able to push it to its full capabilities because I am having engine problems and I don't really want to do a dead stick with this just yet. I just cant get it to run well from idle to half throtle, it bogs down. It is a OS46FX which are really easy engines to tune, but I just can't get this one right. Overall after you get the bugs worked out you should like it very much.