Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Lining up landings

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Lining up landings

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 06:43 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FHH

I have flown 112 missions in an F-4........(1968)I have flown 97 missions in a B-52.....(1972) I have trained pilots for 950 hours in a T-38...I trained south Vietnam Air Force in A -1E Skyraders....
FHH ...What have you done?????Put up ot shut-up You seem to know everythinjg..
Tell me all about it Mr. I stuck my ass out to save the likes of you!
DOC!
Old 09-13-2002, 09:56 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Lining up landings

Doc... The Air Force taught you to fly combat jets, not slow flying, overpowered stuff like model aircraft. There's a HUGE difference in what to expect from an F-4 Phantom and a Kadet Sr. with a .61 on the nose.

I've been designing, building and flying and pushing the limits of model aircraft for nearly 30 years. (even if my early designs were simple... I've NEVER had one fail to fly.)

the Air Force wanted the plane to SURVIVE EVERY flight if humanly possible... The models... we push the envelope and rip it up almost every day.

The books say the B-52 won't do a lot of maneuvers which were performed with it at airshows... Why? Because the risk was too great for normal operations. And when the air show pilot pushed past the envelope... there was a fireball and several dead bodies.

We push often past the safety limits with a model, and we pick up toothpicks.. but if we were pushing the limits in a proper environment... the pieces all fell well clear of any spectator.

The worst person I've ever tried to teach to fly a model was a Captain (Bird Col. to you) in the Navy, a Fighter Squadron Commander. He wouldn't listen... he got toothpicks every time. 1976. (kid can't know more about a plane than a fighter jock... )

And don't tell me about busting butt protecting me... I did my time and have my VA disability for injuries working in a Navy Nuc power plant. ( a while after you got out...I'm sure)

My father spent a lot of time putting fighter pilots back together when they brought thier cripples home to the carrier too... There's a good chance he put some of your buddies back together...

Stuff it Doc
Old 09-14-2002, 05:09 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default FHH

Fhh,
First let me assure you I know what a Navy Capt is in the ranks......06 is the step I think you were refering to.

I think we have both strayed from the topic of landing an aircraft.

I am sorry you are drawing disability from the VA....I do not have that option. You have served in a Nucke facility...I commend you for that.....

I carried nukes when it wasn't in style in the Buff. Fortunately the order was never given to execute.

I never made it to 06 because I was a "Mustang".....I respect your knowledge of the sport we so enjoy.....

I think we all have designed model aircraft at one time in our lives...Mine have all been successful also.

Stuff it right back at ya.

Doc
Old 09-16-2002, 11:24 AM
duke

Default Doc

Doc,
I'm in my second year in RC and have enjoyed it soo much. Part of it is the help and positive information I get off this board. I've been helped selfishly from FHHubner with many questions. Don't understand why you get so worked up on this subject. Why don't you take a chill pill. "If" you did serve this great country thank you. You have lost lots of credibility.
duke
Old 10-02-2002, 12:49 PM
SaviCatses

Default Lining up landings

I've never flown an airplane: military, civilian, or even model. Sorry I lied, I must have flown a few dozen paper airplanes as a kid, but then again, they never had engines, rudders, elevators or much of anything else!

One thing I've noticed is that R/C Models can perform certain maneuvers that I'm pretty sure a full sized one cannot. I've seen a model roll/spin so quickly that I'm pretty sure if a hamster had been inside it would have been flung out of the cockpit through the balsa fuselage! I'm also pretty sure that planes cannot 'hover', but then again, I might be wrong.

Also, maybe someone can explain this to me better, but is R/C flight really like full sized flight? I mean it must be very much alike, but while the engine, wings, fuselage, control surfaces might be the same scale size from the full sized airplane, there's something which you can't scale down to the model's size: Atmosphere. The density of air is exactly the same as a full sized plane. Doesn't this make R/C aircraft a slightly different experience than full-sized?