Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:17 AM
DaleNabq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF

Thanks. Are you using the stock motor? What battery pack? Any crashes or anything that would have weakened it? My friend has been flying his for 2 years....
Old 03-14-2006, 11:11 PM
wingswest
My Feedback: (6)

I have had my ultrafly cessna just sitting the box since christmas and have no time to build it. Now that i am into helis i really dont need this plane. I have it in the marketplace for sale. Brand New in the Box. You can find it here http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=177053

Thanks, Cameron
Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 AM
PlaneKrazy214

Flyinjohn, how ya been? Fly that cessna yet? I have and I am pleased. here is a pic of a parkzone mustang I modified
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66849.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	459075  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 PM
flyingjon

Hey planecrazy.....B25guy???........that sure is a nice Mustang modified by you ,Looks stunning and real!! Great!!
Well ,I have almost completed my Cessna.....what remains is fitting of the 8cell 1100mAh pack,for which I will have to alter the battery compartment and a little of the under fuse and then the Speed control and Rx will have to be added to get my Cessna 182 flying high!!!
As I said, I am a beginner and don't want to fly the Cessna straight away and cause damage to this wonderful Slowflyer .It has to give me years of Joy....For now I am flying my homemade Speed 400 foamie built for me by a friend who is 20years into flying. I fly in tall grass where the damage is minimum even on bad landings,my flying still has to improve and soon I should be flying my Cessna like a pro.I have a camcorder now ...So a flying video of the Cessna 182 is on the cards!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:33 AM
PlaneKrazy214

Hey thanks Flyinjon......Flying and crashing is just the nature of the beast so to speak. your cautious approach should reward you.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 AM
PMDrive1061

Absolutely. That 182 will likely fly forever if you resist the urge to pack it full of high horsepower. I thought that I was using the E-flite equivalent of UltraFly's hi-performance recommendation. I'm half tempted to get another one and fit a mild motor that won't overpower the airframe and yet will still work with my 1500mAh li-pos. I'll glass the center section of the wing while I'm at it. The plane is a kick to fly.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 AM
PlaneKrazy214

Hey PM, I have read alot about wing failure on this little beastie and I fortunatley have yet to experience that. Now when i built mine i used 5 minute expoxy when I joined the wing halves and on the rest of the model for that matter. I have never really been a fan of foam glue for exclusive use. Maybe the expoy helps structurally.......maybe not......maybe I've just been lucky. At this time I have not done alot of hard aerobatics, just alot of easy flying.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 AM
DaleNabq

Same here....

Dale
Old 06-02-2006, 06:17 PM
WWM

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to airplanes, had a Blade Cp for a while and after I go the hang of it I decided an airplane would be funner. Anyway, I ordered a E-Flite Cessna with the Park 400 bl outrunner before doing enough research on bird. I hear it can be a pickle to fly so I ordered the Ultrafly to start lfy first.

How will the elite 400 bl with 3s 1300 ah lipo's compare to the stock rig. Has anyone flew this with a 400 bl outrunner?

Thanks for replies.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:57 AM
PlaneKrazy214

Well Well.......I had the wing failure today. Broke right at the mount. aircraft recieved some damage. nothing a little epoxy wont fix. Going to have to beef up the wing.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:51 PM
rc-junkyard

ORIGINAL: PMDrive1061

OK! Got the manual...here are the boo-boos.

*Page 1 - do you really want to shoot a foamie with "modelspray?"

*Page 6 - don't cut a pushrod tube down to 25cm. WAY too short for that half of the fuselage. And, don't glue the forward end of the tube to the fuselage half. The tubes need to be able to cross up later on. Step 8 instructs you to "please check the decal part (page 26) put on the decal of fuselage parts for better decal and assembly." I think that meant to put on the decals. I did the windows at that point and added the stripes after I finished the rest of the fuselage.

*Page 10 - no "paper tape" comes with the kit. I used white 3M plastic "repair tape" on the wing's reinforcement rod. Looks and works great!

*Page 12 - weird. Just weird. The male B-5 part winds up attaching to the wing. The two female B-4 parts go in the fuselage. Two B-5's are included, one for each wing.

*Page 15 - Step 8 tells you to cut a 1mm deep slot in the elevator. I could not for the life of me figure out why until I realized it was for the wire that joins the two halves of the elevator.

*Page 16 - IMPORTANT! Step 1 forgets to tell you that most or all of the ribs of the battery tray need to be removed before you can put any kind of battery pack in the plane, including the recommended Ni-Mh. Removing the center rib makes a perfect fit for a 1500mAh lipo and makes the CG right on the money. Not mentioned at all.

*Page 17 - set the nosewheel alignment in relationship to what, exactly? Turns out the relationship is to the hole the pushrod uses to come through the firewall. It's up to you to install the nosewheel bracket nice and straight. No pilot holes.

*Page 20 - You'd best make sure your ESC will pass through the hole in the firewall before you solder it to the motor, unless you're using plug-in connectors. Step 10 tells you to use a 1.47x9mm wood screw to attach the gearbox to the stick...after you drill a 1.2mm pilot hole, of course. Get out your metric ruler, because there's no full-sized reference to what that screw looks like. It's also bigger than 1.47mm around. Wound up using a wood screw closer to 3mm diameter.

*Page 21 - The screws used on the cowl are actually the 1.47x9 mistakenly mentioned in Step 10. Tiny little things and still no reference. There is a reference back on the parts listing page, so all is not lost. They really need to take a lesson from Tamiya in that regard.

*Page 22- Step 4 tells you to install a clevis to the threaded end of a pushrod. It doesn't tell you that you need to bend a zig-zag in the rod in order for it to line up with the rudder's control horn. Minor quibble under most circumstances, but not here given the number of other omissions and mistakes.

*Page 23 - Near-useless photo in Step 5 points out exactly why you didn't want to tack down the forward ends of the pushrod tubes. Ignore all the instructions about making z-bends. It's way too hard without the proper tool and no dimensions are given as to how much of the rod should actually be cut off. I thought the pushrod tubes were going to tear right out of the back of the tail section. Get some Du-Bro fastners instead so you can actually adjust the rods once they're in place.

*Page 24 - If you're installing flaps, you're going to all but laugh at the instructions for how to make a double pushrod.

I hope all of this helps. If anyone cares to add to this, please do.
If you cut out the bars going across the battery tray what keeps the battery in place while your flying? And is it supposed to be a brick pack or flat pack for this plane? I keep getting at least 2 different answers.

Thanks...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:33 AM
Jamescobras

Hi guys i'm new 2 the fray and need some help. I downloaded the manual and i need some pics taken of stuff 2 get it right. Sooo.... can i have plz (to get me off the ground) the following.

The B4/B5 placements
The Hinges on the alirons and wat kind of gaps 2 cut in the wings
The crossing over of the push rods
And finally the positions and the way the rudder and the ailrons are attached 2 the servos (someone said something about crossing them over)

If u could give me detailed pics of these i will be so happy that i can get airborn at last!!!

Thx in advance James
Old 04-11-2007, 11:49 AM
flyingjon

Hello James and all ye flyers,

Wow ,Its sure been a long time .....I flew my Cessna too only once.....Wow and was it good??? yes just superb,splendid flyer indeed ,but whats that .....I did not fly it ....I asked a expert friend to fly it for me .....and once airborne he was giving me the controls ....just see ,shes flying straight even without hands on the control sticks of the Tx!!! but I flatly refused....waiting for me to sharpen my skills with other home build models and did not wanna damage the wonderful scale model.....I purchased after a lot of shipping trouble and stuff!!!....My current model is a piper cub which was free flight .15 engine size model which I converted into a RC model with 2 micro servos and a Speed 400 motor up front....And wow she flies wonderful too.....forget the wing loading with a 160sq inch wing area and powered by a 7cell 950mAh NiMh cell pack...
Yes James I will get out my digital camera again and snap pictures for you of my Cessna ,But I guess Papa Keith has done full justice to this excellent model from Ultrafly.....with lots of pictures and a full detailed build up story right from when it came out of the box till when he even flew the complete model and all the adventures he had in flying the Cessna 182......I enjoyed reading the build up

See yal all after some good flights