Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Eager Newbie

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Eager Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 12:57 PM
viceroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eager Newbie

I've always wanted to fly and since the real thing is expensive i decided to take the cheap(er) alternative.

I've bought a JR XP652 radio, Bobcat II 40 trainer, Second hand A.S.P. 40 engine, Gotten hold of FMS RC flight simulator, bought a RC 2 PC adapter.

I haven't been down to an airfield yet, but i have built the plane and run the engine for about 30 minutes tuning it to what I "think" is slightly rich but definately not lean, so I'm happy the engine was a good buy as I had heard that buying second hand was dangerous, but with my budget constraints i had no other option.

I've spent a few days on the simulator now and would like to know how much this will help me with my learning.

Is it accurate as far as the physics and flight models are concerned? Are their better simulators out there that will teach me what i need to know before I venture down to the field and get instruction.

Will it dramatically help lessen the learning curve of learning to fly the real thing?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Eager Newbie

The simulator will definitely help but, it's a poor substitute for a good instructor. The problem with simulators is they're too perfect, the real world isn't.

It sounds like your hobby budget is limited. I strongly suggest you find an Instructor to trim out your plane and standby...

Best of Luck!
Old 08-29-2002, 01:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Eager Newbie

I agree with Jim. If you don't get someone to help you, you will more than likely be bringing your new hobby home in little pieces. Find a club. There are more than enough people who will be willing to help you.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:54 PM
viceroy

Default Re: Eager Newbie

Originally posted by viceroy
... Are their better simulators out there that will teach me what i need to know before I venture down to the field and get instruction. ...
As I said I do intend on getting instruction but before I do I want to get totally comfortable on the simulator
Old 08-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Joe Trinkley

Default Eager Newbie

hehe, I'm suprised noone has mentioned prop size yet.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Joe Trinkley

Default Eager Newbie

and oh yah, stop spending money on simulators and get out there and fly, you'll need that money for your second plane
Old 08-29-2002, 11:14 PM
thejetgod
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eager Newbie

It sounds like you are on the right track. You have done well in choosing to get yourself some instruction. A good instructor will get you started by showing you how to preflight your airplane and will check it thoroughly before its maiden flight. You should have an instructor test fly your airplane before you attempt to fly it yourself. A good instructor will teach you about all kinds of things about flying that you might not normally consider yourself, like what are you going to do when your engine quits after takeoff after you have passed the departure end of the runway.

Simulators are great for getting you comfortable with the control inputs necessary to control an R/C airplane. At your level, it is not that important that you have the latest and greatest flt sim out there. FMS is just fine.

Spend lots of time on your simulator flying rectangular courses, slow flight, and practicing approaches. Get very familiar with how to control an airplane as it is flying toward you. Try to fly as smoothly as is possible. Progress from easy flying aircraft to more challenging ones. The most important thing is to have a learning objective for each session you fly on the sim. Don't just go in there and "goof off".

The guys are right in telling you that there is no substitute for the real world. Sims are a little too sterile, but the truth is that they DO help. If all the sim does is teach you how an airplane responds to your control inputs, then half of your instructor's work is done already. The sim WILL NOT bring you to a level of proficiency such that you will have no challenges in flying your new bird at the field, but it WILL get you much more comfortable about putting your new baby up in the air, and there's a lot to be said for that!

Get out there and find yourself a club and an instructor, and wear out that simulator! Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:18 AM
Hanger Rat

Default Eager Newbie

To jim_mcintire

Is that Tiger Moth a Clark (Canada) kit. If it is, can you give me some info on it? Weight, engine, covering, servos and most important how does it fly? Tour tripod address doesn't work.