Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet Senior Kit, Easy to Build?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig Kadet Senior Kit, Easy to Build?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kadet Senior Kit, Easy to Build?

Flyers,

Listen, i dont have a plane, yet, but am really excited and so ready to get one. I have found a great club not far away and already mailed an application to the AMA. One problem, the plane. I was thinking if i should go with a kit. It costs MUCH less and is nice to go home after a long day at school and constant losses of our basket ball team, (UNIS 1-4, W-L), and just do hw and sit down for an hour or two and work on a kit, plus i beleve i can learn alot about planes and how they work, and at the same time get to know the plane in case i crash it. I was thinking about the Sig Kadet Senior Kit. It looks awesome and if i buy the radio my dad doesnt have to pay than 150 for it all! So really, has any beginner have any experience building this plane? Is it easy to assemble? Is it possible for someone like me to cover it? Flys good? Any other relevant info or tips?

Thank You all
Old 01-07-2005, 09:33 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kadet Senior Kit, Easy to Build?

I don't know what your building skills are like, so it's hard to say how "hard" it would be. Sig build really nice kits, parts and wood are good quality, instructions have lots of pictures and are well written. The Senior is a BIG first plane, 6 foot wing, one piece, so consider transportation to and from the field. It is a very straightforward build, the fuse is all sticks, the wing is square (leading and trailing edges are parallel) and flat bottomed, and it flies great. Too bad the kit doesn't have ailerons. Easy enough to make them if you have the experience, but it's an undertaking I wouldn't advise on the first kit. The Senior ARF has ailerons BTW. Another plane to consider as a first kit would be the Seniorita. It looks like the Senior, but a bit smaller, flies on a .25. My first kit was the Kadet Mk II, and I'd highly recommend it. The wing is a tad less than 60 inches, it is a four channel (it has strip ailerons), flies really well on a .46. The fuselage is slab-sided and very strong, even has a nice cowl. The wing has a good bit of dihedral, I'd recommend taking about half of it out if you go this way. The whole plane will fit in the back seat of a mid-size car.

Covering is pretty straightforward, but if you haven't done it before it can seem intimidating at first. If you can find someone experienced to help, it's a plus.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:49 PM
2slow2matter

I don't know about the kit, but the senior ARF's wings come apart--they are two piece wings designed to come apart for transportation. The kit may not be that way. I don't think ailerons would be all that hard to do. You could do a search (especially in the kit building forum) and find out how. You won't regret the extra effort to put ailerons on it. What kind of raidio are you getting. You will likely be paying much more than 150 dollars for all of it. Consider the kit is 73.00, a cheap radio with four servos and a battery is around 120, you'll need a minimum of 3 rolls of covering for this kit (at 12 dollars a piece), you'll need a .46 two stroke (which could be had for around 70 bucks), and then you'll need the field gear (fuel, glow igniter, starter, so on). I'm sure I left out some stuff, just a short list. I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to know what you're getting into. Having said all of that, the senior (in my opinion) is the best trainer out there. My Dad has one, and that thing will just about fly itself. However, it doesn't like a lot of wind. Anything over 12 mph or so and you'll be grounded (or pushing your luck). Great plane, I'm sure it's a great kit. Good luck with it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Fastsky

Re: "work on a kit, plus i beleve i can learn alot about planes and how they work, and at the same time get to know the plane in case i crash it." < Exactly!!! You have the right idea! The problem with new flyers buying an almost ready to fly for their first kit is that they have a plane to take to the field but don't really know how it was built, how adjustments are made. Then if the plane gets a hobby bump, the new guy doesn't have a clue as to how to repair it. I would suggest you stay away from the Kadet Senior kit. Its a good flyer but the plane is fragile as a trainer with the criss crossing sticks that make up the fuselage. A hard bump and all the little sticks that make up the fuselage go flying!!! Trainers that have a fuselage made from Plywood and balsa are much more solid and easier to repair if they do get banged hard. I would suggest a Sig LT40, a Midwest Aero-star, or a PT40 built with the smaller dihedral. The planes have ailerons and make good trainers. They are slightly more expensive than the Senior but thats because there is more wood in the kit which makes the planes much more solid and durable. After your first kit, then you can get whatever you want in an arf and not be afraid to attempt repairs if its needed. Any other questions, feel free!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:50 AM
WMB

Samolot, Go for it. A Senior kit was my first build/plane. The instructions are excellent and lots of good advice here. One thing about the Senior, it is huge. Difficult to move through the house without banging it on the door ways. It will take more time than an LT40 and not be as strong. Mine has taken a lot of hard landings. I built a 2nd wing with ailerons, I would advise adding them on the first build and take out some dihedral. Mine flew great with a 46, then I put in a 45 4 stroke. Not enough power.
Have fun, Mike
Old 01-08-2005, 01:15 PM
ballgunner

The Kadet Senior is one of the finest "first airplanes" in the business. Sure it's large but how many times have you heard "Bigger flys better?". It is not a difficult build. If you are the original builder you will know what repairs are necessary and how to do them, unless you try a vertical landing. It's better to learn on an aileron model but the Senior will still do the trick as designed.
Second airplane with ailerons is a good idea. Whether ot not a .46 is enough power depends on a couple of things. What is the altitude of your field. I fly at 5000' ASL so I used .60's in my three Kadets. Below 3000 ASL a .46 should be fine. You Can get a pretty good four channel FM for about $130.00 and an OS .46 LA for about $80.00. Go for it.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:43 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

how do you know my name is mike? Anyway, thanks for the info, ill be considering the other sig kits you guys suggested , i didnt know it was a one piece wing. I live in an apartment so a six foot wing wont make it out the door.

I just looked at the planes and also found the U.S. AirCore 40 Trainer Kit. Looks really nice and has a nifty movie to come help me build it. I think its great, what about you guys?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
khodges

I think HIS name is Mike, too. If you can deal with the size, go for the Senior. Just be very patient and don't hurry . Framing the fuse will be a good exercise in precision cutting and fitting. Remember---measure twice, cut once. It might pay to cut a millimeter long and sand to the final length, the truss frame needs to be fit tightly for best strength. The Sig kits build on top of the plans, so get yourself a good sized FLAT building board. A hollow core closet door on sawbucks makes a great, inexpensive , FLAT table, add a couple of the large ceiling tiles (suspended ceiling stuff) or a piece of black sheathing material to the top. Both hold pins well and conform to the flat table. Can't overstress FLAT building surface, or you can call your first plane the "Flying Banana".
Old 01-08-2005, 07:09 PM
khodges

I just saw where you said "AirCore". We-e-e-e-l-l-l, I really think a traditional stick-built plane is the way to go, and if you don't have the extra room, then go for the smaller plane, either the Kadet Mk II, LT-40, or Seniorita. Long-term you'll be happier. You can get how-to videos separately.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:14 PM
WMB

Yes, my name is Mike also. Try the Seniorita if the Senior will be to big. Have heard great things about the LT25 also. Have fun, Mike
Old 01-09-2005, 03:02 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

IMHO the kadett is the way to go - was my first plane too - I did go with changes to the wing , 2 inches of dihederal and barn door ailerons. I used a Webra blackhead .60 - covered using coverall and dope. I flew it about 200 flights before I donated it as the club trainer.

I am considering the same plane for my step-son but the size is the only problem. I would suggest the LT40 or seniorita - DO NOT GO WITH PLASTIC PLANES. They are too heavy and UGLY.

May your landings equal your take-offs!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:56 PM
captjckirk

The Kadet Senior is a great plane no matter what your pilot skills are, now having said that, building is another matter. It will take a lot of patience to build. As someone said earlier, "measure twice, cut once." There are alot of "sticks" to be cut and glued in the fuse, so take your time. Build straight is the motto. The wing assemly is very straight forward and should cause you little dificulty. Use a small razor plane to shape the fuse cheeks. Your lhs sells them for around 5 bucks. I would suggest you raise the trailing edge of the wing a quarter of an inch since Sig has a tendency to put ample positive wing incedence in their trainers. Don't worry about building too heavy, that huge wing will carry alot fof glue. Have fun, you can't go wrong with the SENIOR.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

here i go.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Sig LT 40 would be a considerably easier build for a first-timer than the Kadet Senior. Not that the Kadet senior is a bad plane, I have one and I love it. But it's an older kit and the instructions aren't quite so beginner oriented. If you know an experienced builder who could help you out if you get in a jam, fine. If you're on your own, I'd recommend the LT 40.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 AM
whiskykid

Kadet for sure! I started with the now discontinued Jr. which is a shame, great plane.

built a Seniorita for son-inlaw, fly's great, he has an Alpha now, and still loves too fly his rita!

if size is limited, might think about the MKII
Old 11-09-2013, 02:08 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

well. this is a kit bashing project that i wasn't totally aware of at first. i'm sure this kit will be bashed pretty good before i get done.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You guys do realize this thread went to sleep back in 2005, don't you?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Lets keep it woke up ! hahahah
I would say an LT 40 would probably be the better of the LT 40 ,Senior, and Seniorita for someone building there first plane alone.. If they had some help and a friend looking over the shoulder I would not be afraid of the other two. The Senior and Rita will always be fragile planes that are gonna break easy.. but once you get the hang of it they are so much more gentle, they truly are closer to being old timer floaters..
Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I like reviving old threads!

I want to put a plug in for my favorite trainer, the Kadet Mark II. That plane taught me how to build and I can't thank the Sig people enough! I used to live in Des Moines, not far from the Sig factory and used to go over there for a factory tour a few time back in the mid 1980s. You got to buy a kit right off the line back in those days at the end of the tour. Sure were fun times looking back!
Old 09-11-2016, 01:22 PM
MARK JR

How long did it take you to build the kit?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:23 PM
MARK JR

How many hours to build a sig kadet senior kit?
Old 09-11-2016, 04:10 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark it depends on how focused you are,if you have built many models before... and how many building tables you have.

A Sig Senior can be built fairly quick if you know your stuff. But it can be trying if its your first plane and you have no friends that build..or you get in a hurry. An LT40 kit can probably be built faster by a new person do to the different construction style.

The senior requires you to cut a LOT of short sticks accurately and get them glued in tight and square. and then you have to duplicate that for the other side of the fuse. Some people love that kind of building..others don't. The seniorita was my first glow powered plane although I did build a lot of stick and tissue models first. If you can find a local friend to build with its a great way to spend winter and rainy days !

Last edited by foodstick; 09-12-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having built both, I prefer the construction of the Kadet Senior to that of the LT-40. I've built several air frames, though. I think a novice builder may enjoy building the LT-40, and the chances of success are higher.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 PM
MARK JR

You think it can be built in a week?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MARK JR
You think it can be built in a week?
Either (Kadet Senior or the LT-40, can be built in a week.............................................i f you don't do much else.

I built my Goldberg Eagle II in 2 1/2 days. It's construction is similar to the LT-40.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.