Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Winter Flying...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Winter Flying...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 09:21 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Winter Flying...

ORIGINAL: bretthan
...I've been thinking about making one of these [link]http://home.midwestinfo.net/djam/[/link] as it doesn't require much for sewing skills.
Thanks for the link to those plans! I'm going to try making one of those... beats shelling out $45 + shipping for the premade ones!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Well, I did it... I made myself a TX mitt from those plans. Mom was up to visit from FL to see her grandson, so I got her to give me some sewing lessons while she was here! Here's some pics of it. Seems like it will be pretty warm, I guess I'll see this weekend (hopefully). Used black cotton "duck" fabric for the outside, and navy fleece for the inside. I really wanted some cordura nylon for the outside, so it would be waterproof as well, but Walmart had none. Don't really plan to use it while it's raining/snowing anyway, so this thick cotton "duck" fabric should do fine.

Need to make the bottom a little wider next time... had to stop the side stitching a few inched from the bottom so I could angle my arms into the mitt... it would've been too narrow otherwise...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13553.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	220729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24583.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	220730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42295.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	220731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72224.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	220732  
Old 01-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Villa

I use the $1.30 brown cotton gloves and they do great. For instant starts for the glow engine, squirt in some lighter fluid. Been doing it for years. Learned this in Pennsylvania. Keep the glow plug battery warm inside your coat.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

I dont see how they their engines running in the cold. Mine is hard to get going when its below 40 when its been inside all day
Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I also have one of the Zach Sparks TX mittens that ifixairplanes mentioned....works fantastic! When it's really cold, you can stick one of those heating packets in there too.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use one like PHK put up. I have seen people use latex gloves, but that doesn't work well. A transmitter mitt works well. You keep the full feel of it. Mine has a clear screen on it but I don't need it. You shouldn't have to look at the radio.

Be carefull putting your hands in it. You can bump switches easy. Make sure someone is holding the plane till you are totally ready to go!