Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Should I fly it??? extra 300s

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Should I fly it??? extra 300s

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 08:41 PM
sctstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I fly it??? extra 300s

I am relitively new to the hobby. My dad got a Pt-40 last year and last summer was our first summer. I have had about 10 flights with the Pt-40 and consider myself to be doing well with no instruction other than what i have read. I have since aquired an Aerobird Challenger which I have flown about 50 times and have got down. Though most would say its probably not a very good second (third) plane I recently bought a great planes extra 300 s - 60. I bought it from a friend new in the box at a great price, otherwise it wouldnt be my first choice as a second plane as i am a newbie. I have it about 80% built, ready to install engine. Wondering weather to go 2 stroke or 4. Also wondering if someone with more experience could tell me how different the flight characteristics are going to be from the pt-40. I also bought a Wattage Crazy 8 the other day that I think might be wise to attempt before the 300. I know an instructor would be a good idea but how different will it be? Any more tips on engines would be great.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 PM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I fly it??? extra 300s

Yup. Go for it -this was my second plane, I have no regrets. Easy airplane to fly, I love it, dont look back, this plane is awsome, Just land it fast. Tip stalls easy aswell, watch out.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say that since you have the experience you do, you MAY be ok to fly it.

But just to be safe, get on a buddy box for the first flight.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's yours -- how much do you like it? I suggest that you don't fly it on your own for the first few times -- fly it with an instructor & a buddy box.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:24 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At PT-40 is a bunch more docile than any Extra out there. An Aerobird Challenger is only a 3 channel bird that is even slower than the PT-40.

That being said, I would do the PT-40 a few more times until you can takeoff, do mild aerobatics and land as though it were second nature. The Gp Extra 60 is a good plane and well mannered but it does like to tip stall if the elevator is used to quickly has to much throw or it gets to slow. Tip stalling is when one wing drops during the stall before the other. Down low you may not have the room to recover and the plane will most likely cartwheel and rekit itself.

As far as the engine is concerned I would go with the 2 stroke until you get more familiar with tuning engines. Most good 4 strokes are easy to work with but tuning them requires a bit of knowledge and you need a tach. To tune a 2 stroke can be done well just by using your ears.

If you are really dead set on flying the Extra, try to get someone to do the maiden and fly it with you on a buddy-box for a few flights. Remember to keep the speed up on landing to aviod the tip stall.

An instructor can inspect the plane to see if there is anything that needs to be done differently and also help trim the plane on the first flight and when using a buddy box can take control from you in an instant if you get into trouble and do not know how to recover. There is no guarentee that he can recover but a good instructor will be able to tell before you even know.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby
Old 01-24-2005, 10:34 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

sctstone

You will enjoy the extra. Extra's are my favorite type. I have owned a few before and currently I have 4. From a .30 size up to a 33%. (That is why the last bit of my handle is e300)

Assemble and rig it as per instructions. The one bit of advice I can give you is to seal the control surface gaps. This will make a real difference.

When landing, DON'T mess with the ailerons. Get it set up on the final approach and use the rudder to line yourself up. Practice, practice, practice. Most pilots never master the rudder. Learn to fly coordinated banks. This will soon make it 2nd nature.

It is a good idea to have a seasoned pilot to maiden it and to help you for the first few flights. Observe how he lands, really learn to look.

Safe flying!
Old 01-25-2005, 03:37 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

This plane flys great just don't slow it down too much...as stated it WILL tip stall. It is a point it and fly it aircraft, meaning it does NOT have the tendancy to correct itself if you get behind on the sticks.

Good luck if you choose to go for it, and watch for the high speed stall.

Jim C
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM
A.R.T.F.

just land it fast and it will be fine
Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 PM
leftnut
My Feedback: (1)

depending if you have a dual rates TX.
If you don't, you might want to set up the elevators for mild then
gradully increase it as you get more comfortable with the plane.

I personally get a very skill pilot to do most of my maiden flights.
A lot can happen. Engine flame out during take off.
dead sticks..engine set too lean or needs more adjustments.
ailerons needs readjusting,
CG needs readjusting. Parts might vibrat loose.
Plus it helps me to consentrate on safty issues or making sure
everything of the plan is properly insalled

In a perfact situation. Yeah, flick it on low and bring it in hot and plant it .
Old 01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you can land your PT consistently then your chances of the Exra surviving long will be low. If you are consistent on the PT and your are comfident then go for the Extra, its not really that much harder. Its different, you cannot slow it down like a trainer but its NOT as fast as a jet plane. It all depends on you ...
Old 01-25-2005, 01:22 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its going to be a very different experience with an Extra. Flying it will be fine, the issue is going to be coordinating your speed with whatever you are doing. I will be specific, set your maximum elevator throw on low rate at 12-15degrees and no more, maybe about 20% negative expo to soften the middle just a little bit.

At 13 degrees(ish) you will be able to do nice crisp loops and have good control of the plane but you should be below the threshold where you will snap the plane if you accidentally feed in too much elevator. The whole trick with an Edge, Extra, Yak, Raven is to keep your flight speed up just a little during turns. You cant just chop the throttle, roll it over and yank back on the elevator and make a real tight turn, at least not until you get a feel for the stall speed. Get it too slow and pull on the elevator too much and its going to tipstall bigtime. It will snap before you know what is happened and as Bubba said "rekit" itself. The key is maintain a nice moderate cruise speed through your turns and dont let the plane slow down too much when you are moving the elevator surface.

IE dont suddenly yank on the elevator full up (unless you know exactly what you are doing) or it will snap, even at cruising speed.

Dont get too slow in a turn and pull on the elevator, you will snap it. Keep a little throttle on it so the engine is just pulling the plane along and its not drifting through the turn.

On approach time you glide slope and throttle so that you have a little throttle on till you are 5' off the runway and then chop the throttle.. Pulse the throttle just a little so that the plane maintains a stable airspeed but continues to ease down to the ground and the hold it 3 inches off the ground chop the throttle and it will sit down as pretty as you please.

What you dont want to do is chop the throttle and try to nurse it in to the runway,,, keep the nose DOWN or level and use the throttle gently to reach the runway. NEVER ever let the nose come up on these planes on approach as they will tipstall even worse. Keep the nose level/down and manage your throttle so that the plane is flying stably and wings level all the way to the ground. If it starts to look like its getting too slow and losing its balance just ease in enough throttle to stabilize the lift and let it come on in, if you are a little too fast and are going to overrun the runway thats ok,,, just throttle up and go back around and start you approach a little farther out.