Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

TT46 pro

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

TT46 pro

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 12:56 PM
BALSABRO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT46 pro

How do you adjust the low side on the TT46 and at what rpm should the high end be turning and APC 11x 5 what should low end rpm be? the engine is new and has only two tanks run through
Old 09-07-2002, 01:02 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT46 pro

Two tanks is a bit soon to be tweaking the needles to get maximum performance. There is no set RPM that the engine will turn that prop either. Set the low end to the lowest RELIABLE idle you can, which will probably be in the 2300-3000 RPM range.
Old 09-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default engines

Your performance will vary depending on the conditions and fuel used, , with an 11X5 you should get over 12,500 rpm on the top . Idol should be around 2500 or whatever it takes to get your airplane on the ground, depending on the airplane the lower the pitch the higher you idol can be and still land, I had a 76" J3 cub that was extremly hard to get on the ground with an 6 or 8 pitch prop no matter how slow the idol. Obviously there are limits to how slow it will run reliably . No matter what you will probibly need to burn a dozen or more tanks of fuel before it will be at its best.
Old 09-07-2002, 01:57 PM
John B
My Feedback: (1)

Default TT46 pro

My tt 46 took about a gallon and a half before it finally broke in all the way. My tt pro .40 took even longer, but they are both worth the wait. I,d leave it a little rich for the first gallon or two (300-400 rich of top RPM) dont go to rich on it though, I lost a con rod on my .40 from runnin it to rich in the air. Ace told me when they repaired the engine was running to cool and could not expand the top of the sleeve enough . they did fix it for free, just asked me not to do it again.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:47 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT46 pro

I guess I'll be the one to answer your question. lets keep it simple and by the manual. Run your engine up and tune it as you see fit.
* Now while the engine is at an idle, disconnect your fuel line from the carb nipple. If the engine rpm goes up before the engine quits, your low end is to rich, therefore close it a bit.
* If your rpm goes down and the engine quits, your too lean, therefore open the needle a bit.
* Now a "bit" is maybe an 1/8 turn at most. pesonally i go for a very slight increase.
* If you close the low end to much your engine will not start.

HIGH END- This is mostly a no brainer but if you get it to lean, you can burn out a plug or the engine will overheat and quit in flight and always in the wrong area.

There is a "pinch method" but you need to be careful with this.
If you think you have it right, give your fuel line by the nipple a very quick pinch/release and listen to the rpm. As with the low end I goe for no change to a slight increase in rpm. Some people try to get every last rpm out of it and that can get yo into trouble.

This is all in fine print in most manuals which most people overlook. I have been using this method for quite a while and my engines run perfect.

Later.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:03 PM
Banned

Default I guess I'm weird...or otherwise

I'm one of those that tunes an engine with a tach on the low end to get the lowest possible smooth idling position, yet still allowing a perfect transition. Yes, this is something that is kinda hard to do, but YOU CAN DO IT!

The current "crop" of TT PRO .46's that I run do that...simply run flawlessly (sp?).

To get the best out of these engines you must break them in REAL hot, and they DO get better with more running. The late George Aldrich would back me up here 100%. It WILL take at least a gallon of fuel through this engine to make it "act" right. Don't get antsy and expect it to do what it cannot without a PROPER break-in period.

Do whatever you think is necessary for your particular application.