Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Finding C of G

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Finding C of G

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:51 AM
troyp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding C of G

I have followed my planes instruction manual and placed some tape 9 centimetres back from the leading edge of the wing. When I lift my plane at this point it tilts back indicating that I need some added weight in the nose. However if I move my fingers only a slight amount (Actually about the width of the electrical tape) the plane balances perfectly.
Should I still add some weight to the nose or is the centre of gravitys position close enough to what it should be? If I should add some weight what is the best way of doing this? I'm guessing some lead fishing sinkers but are there any tips for securing them properly?

Thanks

Troy.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:23 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default Finding C of G

Hi troyp,
if you balanced the plane a little nose heavy it will help in pitch stability,if balanced in the tail heavy position the plane will be pitch sensitive,in other words, touchy to fly,if you can move the battery or reciever it might save adding weight. On large weights I have flattened them,drilled a hole in the weight,then screwed or bolted them in place,can tie wrap them in place also,have wrapped weight in foam then stuffed them in a place so they don't move.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:15 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finding C of G

The margin or error for CG adjustment should only be about 1/8". The width of electrical tape is about 1/2" which (in some cases) could take a nose heavy plane and make it super twitchy. You may need more than sinkers because to move the CG 1/2" forward you will probably need close to an once or lead.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:35 AM
mancha

Default Finding C of G

troyp:
your manual should address the tolerance, 9 cm +/- ....,
if 9 cm is dead balance for that particular plane, balance it there or a little nose heavy for your maidden flight, later on if you want, move a little back to expirience new feelings.
before adding weight move around your battery to balance.
if you have any other problem let us kwon!!
Old 09-12-2002, 02:31 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default Finding C of G

I agree start with the plans and move it back little by little to bring it alive. Do this only after you have made good friends with it.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:23 AM
latch66

Default Finding C of G

If you are not experienced at flying a tail heavy airplane, balance it on the numbers.

Another option to moving the battery and receiver forward is to move the motor forward a little.

It is better to move things around to balance an airplane than to add weight.

If the airplane is set up as a standard trainer with the motor up front and the fule tank right behind it (both of these ahead of the CG), make sure you balance it with the fuel tank empty.

Good Luck.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:45 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default Finding C of G

Nothing worse than slowing down and having a great plane get squirrelly or snap into the ground because you burnt off the balance weight that was fuel.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:54 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Finding C of G

Make yourself a balancer, your fingertips are too blunt to get a good indication of true balance. Take a piece of wood, say a 12"long 2x4, and two new pencils with erasers, drill two pencil size holes in the wood, 2"wider than the fuselage. Stick the pencils in the holes with the erasers up, mark the spots on the wing where it should balance, and place the plane on the erasers at those marks. Now move the battery pack if you can till the plane sits at a slight nose down attitude. If you can't get balance by moving the battery, add lead weights as others have suggested, as far forward as you can, and wrapped so they can't move around. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Finding C of G

Make a balancer out of three loops of rope and a wooden rod.
Place the loops over each wing. Place the third loop over the center of the rod and the wing loops over the rod ends. You may need two or three people to do this. Now you can balance the plane in roll and pitch. Find out what is needed to balance the plane in these two attitudes.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:23 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Finding C of G

Saw this on the internet, looks interesting, I'll have to give it a try.
http://members.aol.com/jluptonatp/easy.htm