Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How many crashes out of a trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How many crashes out of a trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 02:23 AM
hack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many crashes out of a trainer?

Well I think Im at the limit, 12 major crashes, 11 props, 15 flights, 16 days old.When do you guys just give up and get a new plane? Ive done it all from full speed nosedives, to light pole head ons, to mid airs, to slamming down on a final approach. The engine has ended up 50 yards away form the crash site about 6 times.There is no more covering on the fuse, jsut a bunch of balsa patches, the wing has huge holes in it(which actually looks kinda cool when doing a nice banked turn, you can see throudh it, lol) Im sick of monokote patches so I perfected the art of packing tape patches. I can land just fine now as long as I havnt been drinking or trying some new stupid maneuver that my buddies dare me to do. At what point do I just buy a new "Second" plane? I actually have fun flying this train wreck, the other fliers just laugh at me"that thing wont fly correctly!!"

Time for a new plane?
Old 09-10-2002, 02:41 AM
mancha

16 days is not a lot of time although 15 flights and 12 MAYOR crashes make me wonder " are you that great of a builder??" or " are you talking park-flyers??"
Old 09-10-2002, 02:49 AM
Jafrh
My Feedback: (1)

If it still flys, keep patching it, why crash a new one!

Next time you crash it, don't repair it, give it a decent burial!!
Old 09-10-2002, 02:56 AM
hack

It is a .40 size trainer from hobbypeople, Im not sure of the actual name of the plane, Im able to crash in the morning, go home and cut the fuse in half, rebuild the front end and be out flying the next day. When ever I dont do anything stupid I can fly it just fine.
I like the idea of a proper burial.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:49 AM
SigKavalier

Unless it's flying funny I'd keep repairing it until those "stupid" things you do can be called manuevers lol. Or if it's just getting too ugly I'd get a second cheap plane that was more capable of boucing back from a crash. Like a Sturdy birdy 2, duraplane, or an Armadilo. I bought a sturdy birdy 2 because it was so cheap and I cut the dihedral out of the wings and clipped the ends. Used a larger motor than recommended and use it for my "I wonder if..." plane lol. Some rubber bands and some packing tape and it's ready to be airborne again.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:53 AM
Tattoo

I see a future Spad builder here big time, not only that, the perfect attitude for a future combat pilot

Hack, check out http://www.spadtothebone.com
Old 09-10-2002, 12:12 PM
Ghostbear

Default Flight to Crash ratio

Maybe you should consider flying on a buddy box.

Having almost an 1 flight - 1 crash ratio sounds, frankly, ridiculous to me. I've had 20 flights and two minor crashes (both due to a six foot high dirt pile that was placed in front of the runway by the cement company) on my trainer.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:23 PM
djm
My Feedback: (16)

HECK, I WISH YOU LIVED NEAR ME FOR TWO REASONS - 1ST "ENTERTAINMENT " -- THEN 2ND TO LEARN SOME BUILDING/REPAIR IDEAS... " YOU KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR ARE DOING AND YOU WILL GET BETTER , A LOT BETTER , BECAUSE YOU WILL TIRE OF REPAIRS AND START TO NOT DO STUPID TRICKS AND SEE IF YOU CAN DO A PERFECT LANDINGS.. OH WAIT A MINUTE ,, YOU ARE DRINKING A BIT ?? WHERE DO YOU LIVE , I MIGHT MOVE. GOOD LUCK DENNIS
Old 09-10-2002, 07:47 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say keep rebuilding until you really mess it up or just get tired of it. If you want a new plane the way I see it is you have one you don't care if you crash and one nice plane that you don't want to crash.

If you're always worried about crashing, you'll never progress. Just save the stupid dares for the beater plane.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:44 PM
torque_roll

If it flys, keep it. Why retire a perfectly good airplane?

Happy flying,

torque_roll
Old 09-11-2002, 12:14 AM
chuck_zc

Only takes 1 crash if you do it right!!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:53 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well first off i guess id say stop drinking and flying before you lose a couple of fingers and second dont take the dares and your plane might last longer . im new to this and have only been soloing for a few weeks but lesson 1 was no drinking before or while flying. just a thought oh yeah a good instructor and buddy box are the best crash deterent ive found
Old 09-11-2002, 02:56 PM
Fastsky

Default way too many crashes.....

With a half decent instructor and a buddy box trainer crashes can happen but its rare. My LT40 survived my training routine, my sons and 3 of his friends without ever having crashed. I eventually sold it to make room for the faster planes. So it would seem to me that if you have more than 2 crashes with a trainer then something has really gone wrong!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 07:41 PM
TerrellFlyer

With a good instructor and buddy box,ONE crash is to many,this hobby/sport is about flying,since the earth gods know you real good,maybe cars?
Have a goodun,John.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:03 PM
hack

Im only crashing when trying stunts I shouldnt be doing, I made the elevator 4 inches thick, made the airlerons 4 inches thick, put 2 servos in the wing and took out the Dihed. out of the wing. Today I was finaly able to snap the plane into a barel role in a straight line . Then flying upside down, then trying to scrape the rudder in the dirt. Man was that fun, I broke 4 props today and sheared off the nose piece again that holds the engine. Ill be back up in the air thursday morning for some more fun. I want a new plane. Maybe Ill take my camera for tommorows shenanigans, its a good thing this wing is foam covered in balsa. Oh ya, cracked my la 40 engine block today, lol. Time for a 46
Old 09-12-2002, 02:20 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

FMS is free you can crash those planes all day with out having to take time out to rebuild you could get some stick time and you might not crash as much. Another option would be to switch too a more indestructible plane like the IFO's I fly in the back yard and if you do manage to break it at least you are closer to your work bench. LOL
Old 09-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Tattoo

Darn it Hack...build a Spad, you were meant to be a Spadder Stop all that boring stuff and try some combat
http://www.rccombat.com/rcca.asp
Old 09-12-2002, 10:47 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default Pictures???

Please,Please,Please,Pretty please post some pictures of this plane !!! I gotta see this !!!!!

Also, it might amuse all of us here to see a picture of you !!!!

Everyone shows their plane, but it's interesting to see the pilot that flies it.

My view is glue it until it doesn't fly right anymore.

15 flights and 12 major crashes??? learning to fly on our own, are we?????? If not, please fire your instructor !!!!

Steve-o
Old 09-12-2002, 12:11 PM
AirplaneDan98

Originally posted by chuck_zc
Only takes 1 crash if you do it right!!
LMAO!!! But you're right.

If you enjoy doing these stunts, keep it up!! It's nice having a plane that you're not afraid of being daring with. Mine was an uproar with a shortened wingspan and boy was it ugly!! But like you I was doing things I won't do with my "good" plane, lol. Don't retire you're bird till it takes a bucket and several trips to clean up, lol. Dan
Old 09-12-2002, 12:22 PM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

Build a Pizza Box Flyer......$10 or less...and ya don't gotta worry about crashin' it.......

http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/pizzabox.htm
Old 09-12-2002, 04:49 PM
KCFlyBoy

I would also second the PBF or a postage stamp. I am building two this week. I have some corplast that a neighbor gave me.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:19 PM
hack

I love the SPAD idea, never heard of that, or this PBF thing, HMMMM, well todays story goes like this, I can take off, fly around, land with ease, but the tank lasts like 25-30 minutes so I get more daring as the flight goes along, there was a little puddle of water about 50 yards from us, the puddle is about50 feet by 50 feet, soooooooo, me and a buddy try hard banked turns over the puddle while trying to skim the water with the down side of the wing, WOT. Well neither of us were able to do it and ended up busting my wing in half and pitching the engine about 40 feet away again, the engine is brand new la 46, and I bent the crank shaft, oh well,hehe. I have to show some pics i have from some last crashes and repairs.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:35 PM
polarisRCU
Banned

I agree with Tattoo.... Spad is HACK's calling !!!!! But WOW, Hack.... you're something else !!!! Please post a pic of the plane, before you give it a proper burial.......
Old 09-12-2002, 08:21 PM
KCFlyBoy

I'd like to see that as well.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:13 PM
hack

Hey I cant seem to find coroplast anywhere, my LHS doesnt carry it, neither does a local crafts store or hardware store, Im in orange county california, any one know where coroplast can be bought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.