Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which 1 of these for first low wing plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which 1 of these for first low wing plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 03:01 PM
spd37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 1 of these for first low wing plane?

I'm trying to figure out what plane I would like to get for my second plane. I am looking for a low wing tail dragger that I can use my GMS .47 from my trainer in. I have two in mind the Great Planes RV-4 40 or the Sig 4*40. I have read that the RV-4 is a great plane but it may be a little more advanced than the Sig 4*40. I am leaning towards the RV-4 for a few reasons, I really like the looks of it, I may not grow out of it as fast as the Sig 4*40, and the next plane I would like to get is the GP .40 Mustang so I figure building a plane from the same company would make it easier when I get the Mustang. Would the RV-4 be to hot for a second plane? Any reason why the Sig 4*40 would be a better second plane? Does the Sig stall at a slower speed does it land any slower than the RV-4, will it handle any easier in the air? Like I said I am leaning towards the RV-4 but if it would be to much plane I will get the Sig 4*40. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-12-2002, 03:49 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Visit this like for an article on 4 good prospects for a second plane.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/second_plane.htm
Old 09-12-2002, 03:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In many cases, low wing planes are more difficult than high wing planes. There are several low wing models that work well as a second plane, but I don't think the RV-4 is one of them. Look at Giestware's suggestions and also consider the Goldberg TigerII
Old 09-12-2002, 04:07 PM
J.Paul Saure

Default Tiger2

This plane is still the best "second"!
Your choice of engine, throws and CG changes it performance a lot.

(it even is a good "first" one if you set it up right and fly with an instructor)
Old 09-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Fastsky

Default 2nd plane

The Tiger2 also makes a heck of a good 3d plane!!! As far as looking to get experience for a Mustang down the road, forget the 4*. Its a good flyer and will fly fast and have a fast response rate which you will need to learn how to handle for a Mustang but the landings are kind of the opposite of a Mustang landing. Any speed above a crawl and the 4* will just keep cruising along without losing altitude. You need to learn how to slow the 4* down to a crawl so that you can land. This usually means a long flat approach to bleed off speed. For a Mustang landing, you have to keep the speed up either by a short approach or by using some throttle until you are over the numbers. The Mustang can lose speed in a hurry.Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:20 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

I have to disagree with the flat long approach with the 4 star.
I can bring mine in from 100 or more feet, in a dive, at idle of course then bring it in for a nice smooth landing. I agree it is a slower landing, but the approach for sure aint
Old 09-12-2002, 07:22 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard somewhere when the RV4 was first released that it uses the same wing as their Cap 232. That alone would make it a bad choice for a first time low wing. On the other hand the 4*40 would be an excellent choice.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:28 PM
spd37

Thanks for the help guys! I guess I will go with the Sig 4*40. I would like to build the kit, where would be a good place to order it from? I usually get stuff from Tower, they have it for $70 and I can get shipping for free, is there any other place that would be better than that. Also when I build it is there anything I should look out for? Any weak points to the plane that would need strengthening up. Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:08 PM
caf2461
My Feedback: (6)

Goldberg tiger 2 would be a better choice than the 4 star. Superb flying plane.

Have you considered the Sig Something Extra? If you turn the throws down and keep the cg at forward point this plane is as easy to land as any low wing. Plus you can really grow into it.

Just a thought......
Old 09-13-2002, 02:37 AM
Norm Nestie

I have to throw in my vote for the Tiger 2 as well. My first kit and first low wing. Unbelievably great plane in all respects. Am building a 4*40 now with some slight mods and hope it is as good as the Tiger 2.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:27 AM
midget racer
My Feedback: (7)

world models super sports 40, trike set up, smooth as glass flying and lands slower than a trainer, pull out the stops, throws to the max and this puppy will make a cap look like a wimp, but is as tame as you wish.just my $ .02
Old 09-13-2002, 12:01 PM
Crashem

I gotta second Midget Racers choice of WM super sports 40. I Had two of them (Up is down when inverted never forget this) I paid 99.00 each and they fly GREAT!! the only thing I didn't like was the fact that with a TT Gp.42 in the nose I needed between 6-7 oz of lead on the firewall to make it balance. other then that it is a great plane to bash around with. flys eactly where you point it and doesn't really have a nasty snap when stalled
Old 09-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Nuker

Re-enforce the fuse behind the wing and around the gear on the 4-star.

Mrs. Nuker flies one and those were the weakest points found from everyone's opinions in other threads and,,,,, from experience

Plane flies great though.

Nuker
Old 09-13-2002, 03:37 PM
spd37

Thanks for all the help on my question. After looking at my options I think I will take the advice of Giestwave's and caf2461 and get the Sig Somethin Extra and just turn the throws down. It really sounds like what I am looking for, a plane that I can grow into and not get bored with in the future. I'm sure the other planes that everyone else has recomended are great planes but I'm going to go with the Extra. Now I just have to wait a few weeks until my birthday, what a great wife I have getting me a plane for my birthday. After I get it built I will let everyone know how the first flights are. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2002, 06:15 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

I have a Worlds Model Sport 40 and it is a great low wing transition from a trainer plane. I flew this thing as my second plane and it has been great. No problems taking off and landing. It has a trike landing gear so the ground handling is the same a trainer.
The Sig SE (which I am finishing now) is a tail dragger. It also has over sized surfaces. It will be a bigger adjustment from a trainer.

Good Luck

Bill
Old 09-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

spd37,
I think you are making the right choice. Remember, that you don't have to use the recommended throws. Less is sometime better than more!
Old 09-13-2002, 06:42 PM
spd37

RedWing, I turned my trainer into a tail dragger, so I am familiar with how a tail dragger takes off and lands (at least my tail dragger trainer) I didn't care for the trike gear and figured the planes I am interested in flying in the future are tail draggers.

Geistware, I think I am making the right choice also, only time will tell. Do you have any recomendations on throws to start out with?
Thanks for all the help
Old 09-13-2002, 10:54 PM
wrbirch

Default 4*

my second is a 4*60, flys great, If you can fly and land your trainer, you can do it with a 4* with a little practice. the 60 has week landibng gear, the aluminum brace and machine screws for axles, get a better gear and real axles, ther're not that much.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:43 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Default 4*40 was my 2nd plane.

The 4*40 was my second plane. I loved that bird. I have a couple comments though...

Alot of the hardware is junk - that tailwheel for one isn't good, just asking to come loose. Although the wood is precut and its easy build.... you'll be building for months.

The recommended engine is a .30 to .40???? Nah... I put a TT PRO 46 in mine. Having extra power can get you out of trouble.

The 4*40 would float and float and float.... very low wing load which I think is a good attribute of a 2nd plane.

Had I to do it all again? I'd get the Somethin' Extra ARF and keep the throws gentle... I cried when I crashed my 4*40... spent lots of time building it. I'd think nothing of building kits now... but when its your second plane, and you spend lots of time making it pretty, it HURTS when you bring home toothpicks.

How did mine die? Well, I was practicing flat spins when 1/2 the wing cracked off at the root. The Plane and 1/2 a wing turned into a lawn dart... the other 1/2 wing floated in the sky for about 10 minutes.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:17 AM
Norm Nestie

Nuker, thanks for the building tips on the 4*
Old 09-14-2002, 11:07 PM
RCmob

gubbs3: The GP RV4 does NOT use the same wing as the GP Cap. The RV4 wing is straight (no taper), has flaps and it uses a semi-symmetrical 14% thick airfoil. The construction is fully interlocking. The stall is soft, straight forward. No surprises
Old 09-15-2002, 01:11 AM
gubbs3

My mistake then. I thought I had read somewhere that is used the same wing.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:31 AM
bgorham

Hey spd37 ... there are two good threads in the kit building forum going right now on the Sig Something Extra and the 4 star birds. Take a peak at those, lot's of good info.

Bo
Old 09-15-2002, 11:44 AM
John B

Default GP-p51

I used this as my 2nd plane.....actually built it for my first.
Took it to the field and asked for instruction.(course i overpowered it and put in retracts)
Anyway after the take the purdy P-51 home ,hang it on the wall and get a trainer lecture, I got me a stick. Got a little bit of a lecture for that one but they trained me on it and i flew the P-51 as my second model. only prob i had with it was learnin to keep it from nosing over on landing. (my fault the way i built it )
Other than that it is a great flier , not a hard build and looks excellent!!!
i think the RV-4 would be closer to the flight characteristics of the p-51 but i also think the 4 star would be the wiser move.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26033_163.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	16253  
Old 09-15-2002, 11:54 PM
Seth
My Feedback: (12)

I would get the great planes super sportster.
Seth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.