Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer Opinion

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer Opinion

Old 09-13-2002, 04:14 PM
ELSBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer Opinion

I haven't heard anyone talk about the Hangar 9 Xtra Easy Trainer. Any opinions about it?
Old 09-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Crashem

Default Trainer Opinion

I've never flown it but I have seen it and it is a nice plane
It comes with a computer radio and several add-on/ upgrade options Price 379.00 plus shipping seems a little steep when you factor in the field equipment necessary

Have you looked at the Avistar and thunder tiger trianners about 299.00 each

Also if you don't have an instructor you can pretty much rule out optional accessories since the only "optional accessory" you'll need is a trash bag.

Remember if this is you first plane and you have no field equipment you need to add 50.00 or more to the cost of any RTF plane get it airborne.

Also don't forget 48.00 to AMA most clubs require this
Old 09-13-2002, 04:52 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Default Trainer Opinion

check out this thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hreadid=244351

I do have to admit, now we have gotten about 1 1/2 thru the and the power has increased.

I think overall it a pretty good trainer.

The only question is that I have about the motor. Once you get done w/ your trainer are you going to be able to take this motor off and use is on a 2nd aircraft, and have enough power. I guess only time will tell..

I would look for a trainer that has a Thunder Tiger motor. And I would stay away from trainer that have MDS motors. But this is my personnal opinion.

My personal opinion, here is what I would do.

Buy me an arf trainer that I have to assembly. Hobby Star, etc, usually less than $110.00 w/ glue.

Buy me a TT 46 pro. $69.00-89.00 depending on where you buy it. But after you flying skills get past your trainer and you need to buy another plane.. You will have a good motor.

and radio of your choice JR or Futaba. I think both have a basic system for around $150.00 I would go to local club and see what other people are flying. I fly JR. probably the only reason why I fly JR is because that is what I started on. I like their products, customer service is great, and I have stayed w/ them..
Old 09-13-2002, 05:29 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Default Nice plane!

I have the Hangar 9 Xtra Easy and have been flying it for the past month and have had no problems with it (other than repairing the right aileron where my wife kneeled on it ). I ran 2 tanks of 15% thru the MDS 40 to break it in then went out and flew. After 5 or 6 tanks the MDS started to shine. Now it runs strong and is very reliable. In fact, this past weekend my instructor and I were talking about my plane and he commented on how reliable the engine is. Last week I replaced the 10x6 Master Airscrew prop with a 11x5 APC and really enjoy flying this plane now. The new prop has helped with aerobatics and quicker take-offs. It has aluminum landing gear also.

Another nice thing about this setup is the quality radio equipment it comes with. The 5-channel JR computer radio has been awesome. It has a great receiver and great servos.

I really recommend this plane. It's been an extremely solid trainer.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:16 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LT-40?

The Lt-40 ARF from Sig is an excellent choice for a first trainer. It's big enough to see easily, and it flies great. You can get one for about $135. It's a bit more expensive than some other trainers, but I promise you- you won't be sorry.

As others have said, stay away from the MDS motors for a first time trainer. I like MDS motors. I have two of them and they run good. But, they are a little difficult to tune and they take some time to break in properly- untill they break in- they are a bit of a pain in the rear.

Get the Thunder Tiger engine or even an OS if you can afford it. You can get an OS 46 FX Max for about $110. The OS engine usually run great within a short breakin time and the 46FX will have PLENTY of power for your next plane. The Thunder Tgier Pro 46 is an excellent engine as well. They take a little bit of breaking in, but they run good for years, and they are reasonably priced.

I'd get an engine with bearings, instead of a bushing engine. The bearing engine will last longer and it will produce more horsepower.

As for radios- it's a tough call. Some would say to get a computer radio- others would advise the simple 4-channel radio with no bells and whistles.

The advantages and disadvantages of radios:

Computer radio is much more flexible and adaptable to more and different planes.
Computer radio is a bit complicated to use and can be overwhelming to the newbie.
Basic 4-channel radio is user-friendly and simple.
Basic 4-channel is limited to one plane usually.

If you get a computer radio that can handle 2 or more planes in the radio memory- then you won't need a new radio for every plane. After you solo and need a new plane- you just buy a "flight pack". A flight plack is 4 servos, a battery, a reciever, and a switch. You just buy the flight pack for about $125 and you have all the electronic stuff you need for a new plane. You don't have to go through the expense of buyng a new radio too.

Computer radios are more expensive.

As others have suggested, go to the local flying club and see what they are using for radios. Your gonna need an instructor and you should probably start out with the same radio brand as the instructor. That will make it easy to get you hooked up to a buddy box and start flying right away.

Different people are going to have different opinions about what radio to use. Listen to all the information and get what works best for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to get for all your stuff. Welcome to model airplanes and RCU.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Hummve

Default Trainer Opinion

I have an MDS I like it no problems, and I have a JR XF421EX I love this thing it is grate.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:40 AM
ELSBP

Default Trainer Opinion

Thanks for everyone's advice. I guess I should have said that I had already bought the Xtra Easy Package. My brother in law has the same trainer with the buddy cord. We took it up for the first time today and I must say I am very exited about getting into this hobby. He also says that the MDS is not the easiest engine to tune and often stalls. He replaced his MDS with an OS and has no problems. He doesn't fly it much anymore, he's constantly building and flying different airplanes. His garage looks like an airport. I am looking forward to participating in this message board, it has been very helpful so far!