Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

help arf covering problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

help arf covering problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:36 PM
mrbass111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help arf covering problem

i just got my gp stuka arf. the problem is that the plane is about 35% wrinkled on the covering. i know with an arf to expect some blem but 35 to 40 % of the plane with bubbles and wrinkles in the monocoat. i called gp support and they where like you get what you get and use a heat gun to smooth it out. my questions are is this acceptable? and will the heat gun get out most of the blems. i have no experiance with coverings so any advice hear would be nice. ive waited to get my stuka and its real disheartening to see it all wrinkled.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 PM
dieFluggeister

Default RE: help arf covering problem

Hey Bass,
Its no problem. Depending on temperature factors during manufacturing and shipping you can expect some wrinkles. Yours seems more than some but all it usually takes is a heat gun or iron to remove them to a durm tight finish. Inspect the edges though to make sure they are not loose

If you have never had any experience with covering you may want to ask an old pro from your club to show you how. There is some technique involved but it usually consists of slowly shrinking the covering with only as much heat as needed, starting in the center of a panel and working outward, constantly keeping it moving.

The biggest problem you can run into is too much heat or staying in place too long. Film will melt.

Chances are in 15 minutes you can have a great looking model.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As dieFluggeister said, depending on the temp and humidity during construction AND at your location you will get wrinkles/bubbles. It sounds like you got one of the "worse case" planes. I have gotten one or two like that. Realisticly, it should take you 15 - 30 minutes to get everything corrected. Be advised that you will probably have to reshrink the covering every spring. Here in Connecticut I have to do that because the "hanger" for the planes is not heated.

If you can someone experienced to help you, that would be best.

If you decide to do it yourself. I suggest using the iron instead of the heat gun. The heat gun will cause the seams to shrink if you are not VERY careful. Be careful around the seams anyway (make sure they are sealed) and if you have any bubbles, take a pin and poke a hole in ONE END of the bubble, then iron towards the hole to release the trapped air and seal the covering back down to the wood.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:35 PM
mrbass111

thanks guys that really freaked me out. i called the guy who trained me and he said no problem, bring it over and he will take care of it for me.