Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Basic Trainer Question

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Basic Trainer Question

Old 09-16-2002, 02:17 PM
nbensch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Trainer Question

I am looking at getting a Kadet Senior to start as my first Trainer Kit to build. I have a real basic question...can I remove the whole wing section for transportation (I don't have a large car)? Are most planes like that?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:26 PM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Yes
and
Yes for most 40 size and up planes. The smaller ones may have the wings permenantly attached.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:26 PM
uonlylivetwice
My Feedback: (2)

Hi nbensch, and welcome,
I know this is unsolicited advice, but I first built a Kadet Senior, and I would suggest building the plane with ailerons. If it is your first plane, it can be a little unnverving making modifications to the plans (at least for me it was), but it is fairly easy, and will help you out in the long run. If you have any questions, the guys here are a big help!!
Old 09-16-2002, 03:31 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Default Re: Basic Trainer Question

Are most planes like that?
It's a good idea to check before buying a kit (or ARF). Some airplanes in the 48" wing span category do have fixed wings (Dazzler, Pizzazz, etc). And some larger planes, sometimes the wing is one piece and sometimes two, which makes a big difference in hauling it around.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:53 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

uonlylivetwice gave good advice if you are going to build this plane from a kit do your self a favor and build ailerons the plane will handle so much better and you will have some aileron experience for later.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Fastsky

Default Senoir or others..

My 2 cents on this. The Senior has a large wing and no ailerons. For $10.00 more you should look at a Sig LT40, It has a bit shorter wing and the difference in price includes your ailerons so you don't have to try and figure out how to add them. The LT40 is considered one of the best trainers and is a faster and stronger build than the Senior. The Senior is a bunch of criss crossing sticks to make up the fuselage. This makes the design light but not very crash resistant. It is slow to build and crumbles apart easily in a crash. The fuse on the LT40 is balsa and lite plywood. I have seen LT40's go into a fence at the end of the runway with only a broken prop to show for it. To me this makes the LT40 a btter choice for a trainer.