Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question about battery care.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie Question about battery care.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Archimedes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question about battery care.

I recently purchased a FirebirdXL as my first RC airplane. So far it has been quite fun.

I do have a question though about battery care. Since it cost me $25 bucks for the battery pack I was curious to how I can extend the life of this battery.

Do I need to drain the batteries completely after each flight? Can I just let the natural battery drain over time deplete any charge? instead of burning any remaining charge through my engine?

Do I need to buy a volt meter to determine if the battery is truly dead before re-charging? or a volt meter to determine if the battery is fully charged if I don't have a smart charger? Or are there any other devices that I need instead of a volt meter?

Is there any consideration to temperatures of the battery when charging that I should consider?

Thanks for any advice and or knowledge.

Matt
Old 09-19-2002, 05:22 PM
FlyingZee

Read Red's Battery Clinic. Email him with questions.

Zee
Old 09-19-2002, 06:54 PM
smokingcrater

Congrats on getting that firebird in the air. Started with one of those myself, but you will probably want to move on to something better. Firebirds are only two channel, look for something with 3 or 4 channels and standard equipment.

Anyway... batts... Firebirds have nimh batteries, do NOT run them until completely dead. (cell reversal and such...) Use the slow charger whenever possible, instead of the 45 minute field charger.