Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Picking Radios

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Picking Radios

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 09:26 AM
AF Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking Radios

Alright,
Two beers a pizza and about three million posts read later I realized that the p-38 for a beginner was probably right up there with my idea to shoot fireworks off in the inlaws hayfield. Pretty much decided on a LT-40 kit with a .40 engine, but still undecided on the radio. My apologies if there were any threads regarding this, I must have missed them if so.
When it comes to the radios and servos would the reccomendation be to get a slightly higher end? Ex. a six channel or comp instead of the basic four? I'm thinking that I could use the radio for another plane so go six. As far as the servos; knowing that the trainer will probably have several "mishaps" involving Neutons Law will these be added to the list of casualties once I upgrade or are they sturdy enough to use in another aircraft a few months down the road? If not how hard is it to find servos that match the radio?
be gentle........

The Coop
Old 10-01-2002, 11:24 AM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Default Picking Radios

Yes there are lots of posts on this subject.

Most of the time the servos and receiver will survive a crash, it just depends.

IMO: As far as a radio, if you end up really liking this hobby then you will wish you had bought at least a 6 channel computer radio. I bought a Futable 6 Skysport which is like the current 6DA and now it sits without being used because I like to use my computer radio instead. Computer radios are so affordable now it is hard not to buy one. I would suggest that if you are on a very tight budget then get a basic 4 channel and you will be fine. But if you have some extra to spend then get a 6 channel computer radio.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:06 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Picking Radios

Which radio? Ohhh Yeah, there has been a post or two.....thousand

I myself am trying to get through that decision. Some questions you need to ask yourself are what are you planning to fly; planes, gliders & Helis? Are you looking to keep the budget low? Do you think you might want to upgrade your radio in a year or two or should this one be it for a while? Do you belong to a club? What do they think? Do you have an instructor who will be using a buddy cord? Should your radio be compatible with his? Have you been to the manufacturer's web sites to look at their radios and inventory the features that you want or might need down the line?

For me, after answering these questions for myself, I think I'm going to go with a Hitec Eclipse 7. It has lots of features, will allow me to fly the planes, gliders and helis I own or plan to buy and is well within my budget. However, this may not be the right decision for you. You are going to get a lot of opinions on this subject; my suggestion is to keep in mind what is right for you not them and take everything with a grain of salt.

Good luck

C.P.
"I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...I hope it's not a train"
Old 10-01-2002, 12:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Picking Radios

The previous posts are right on the money. If money's a problem go with a basic 4 channel, if you've got the money to spare, get a 6. If you can part with about $230, get a computer (I like the Futaba 6XAS). But the best way to decide is to ask the guys at the field who will be training you. There's no sense buying a Futaba radio if everyone there uses JR (hence, they won't be able to hook you up to their buddy cord). Talk to them!
Old 10-01-2002, 12:27 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default Picking Radios

Learn on the basic 4 channel,after training if your desire is still there then buy the Futaba Cap 9 or something similar in another brand.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:29 PM
CyberPilot

Default Picking Radios

If you haven't made a visit to the RC Radios forum here you might want to check it out. If you have a few different radios in mind you can do a search on them and see what others have to say.

C.P.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:36 PM
Fastsky

Default starting out

First off the LT40 is a great start. On your engine choice you mentioned a 40 size. Get a 46 instead. They are $5.00 more and well worth it. I wish I had one on my LT40. I trained on a grass field and when it was raining all week and the grass was too wet to cut the extra power would have been allfully nice! I would get a Thunder Tiger Pro or OS FX. On the radio. You still have an option. 6 channel computer radios have dropped in price so much that you might look at getting one. Or, get a bsic 4 channel for now because dual rates, ect. don't work on the buddy box and it keeps things simple. Down the road you can use your radio for other planes and for a trainer box for your friends. Another receiver, servos ect. is almost the same price as a complete radio system. Have fun, Fast!
Old 10-01-2002, 07:58 PM
CyberPilot

Default Took my own advice

At lunch time today I drove over to my LHS and bought a Hitec Eclipse 7 with the Spectra module; $219. Since my trainer already has a receiver and servos installed I only needed the transmitter. Another example of "what's right for me...."

I've been cruising these boards for about 2 weeks trying to decide which radio; I hope you find enough info to help you make a choice that fit's your needs.

Good luck,
C.P.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:32 PM
mancha

Default Picking Radios

I second Minnflyer, best advice.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:03 PM
AF Boomer

Default Picking Radios

appreciate the advice,
finially got ahold of the local club and it turns out one of the guys is trying to sell a six channel. Thanks for everything, hope to be flying when I get back from the desert.

The Coop
Old 10-03-2002, 10:59 AM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Default Picking Radios

Just a thought......

The are all good or they wouldn't be on the market....
It's just what you want to do with it...

A simple 4 channel radio will fly a fire breathing giant..as well as a trainer....

If you get off into a plane that requires all the fancey bell and whistel mixes and channels..by all means get one...

The JR652 or the Futaba T6XA will fly anything that you will probably ever build.

Just a thought....and a lot of experience
Old 10-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Unstable

Default Picking Radios

Originally posted by AF Boomer
appreciate the advice,
finially got ahold of the local club and it turns out one of the guys is trying to sell a six channel. Thanks for everything, hope to be flying when I get back from the desert.

The Coop
this is probably the best move out of all of them.

otherwise I would have suggested a basic 4 channel just for the fact that someone did the research and the cost of buying everything that comes with a basic 4 channel leaves the TX at about 20 bucks.

for that 20 bucks you have
a: a spare in case something happens to your "second" radio

b: a future buddy box for if you train someone or someone needs a spare

c: when you fill up you computer radios memory and need to get that last plane up in the air you have an option.

in case you are wondering i own a futaba 9chf and am currently using option C to get my zagi up in the air until i get a campac module and another RX crystal

edit:

just checked tower.

flight pack with 4 S3003 servos, RX, batt, etc $119.99

futaba 4vf 4 channel with 4 s3004 servoes, rx, batt etc etc $149.99

30 bucks for the transmitter so i was off by a bit
Old 10-03-2002, 11:52 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default Picking Radios

Check with the guys at your local field and see what they are flying you will need someone to help you and a buddy box of the same make works best. Just My $.02