Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Alpha trainer building issue

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

HELP!!! Alpha trainer building issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Binary_01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Alpha trainer building issue

Hey guys/gals,

I'm currently putting together a Alpha Trainer from Hangar 9. The engine mount that came with the engine is for the Evolution engine, my OS .46 LA doesn't fit on it. To top it off, the firewall is already pre-drilled to fit the evo engine mount and my engine mount (Great planes I believe) does not fit over the already drilled holes to attach the engine mount.

What can I do?? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:36 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP!!! Alpha trainer building issue

What do you mean doesn't fit? Engine too wide or what . Vague question.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Binary_01

oups, I didn't express myself properly... I had just woke up 10 minutes ago :-)

The engine mount that came with the plane is only for the evolution engine, the holes on the metal engine mount is too wide compared to the holes on my engine (OS LA .46). Therefore I really can't use the engine mount that came with the arf kit. And the holes in the firewall and drilled for the evolution engine mount.

Now I have another engine mount, I believe it's a great plane engine mount, but the holes of this engine mount does not allign with the pre-drilled holes on the firewall.

I took pictures, but my laptop is acting up and I'm having trouble downloading the pics.

Let me try to upload them since pictures are worth thousands of words!

Old 05-14-2005, 12:00 PM
bruce88123

The engine is supposed to set on the beams and be held in place by the clamps. No screws are actually supposed to actually go thru the holes in the engine mtg lugs. I am assuming you have the std clamp type mount that the Alpha uses. the engine should be able to move slightly under the clamps until the clamps are tightened down.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Binary_01

Here are the pics...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25053.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	271357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47663.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	271358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76886.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	271359  
Old 05-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Binary_01

Ahhh!!! I think I get what you are saying!! Thanks a lot!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Binary_01

I don't think this is going to work... Any other ideas?

Old 05-14-2005, 04:57 PM
aerobatixkid

Its going to work fine, my prefered way of mounting on trainers , its pretty simple. Put the engine on, put the metal bar on, then put the bolts through the bar to the engine mount and tighten the bolts
Old 05-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Binary_01

Is this anygood???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55721.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	271532  
Old 05-14-2005, 10:14 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Your bushing engine is quite a bit narrower than the evolution .46 BB engine that is typical on that trainer. I don't really like how that looks. Here is my suggestion--go and buy an evolution .46.

Naa, just kidding.

Now, for real--use your great planes adjustable mount. Take the original mount off of the firewall. Take the blind nuts out of the back, and fill those holes with dowells--glued in nice and tight. You may have to drill out to the next size in order to get a dowell in--get the smallest dowell that you can get that will still be snug! Then, re-drill for your other mount. Make sure it's all centered up like it should be--I'm not sure where the thrust line is on that engine. You might want to consult with horizon on that issue.

Getting the blind nuts back in will seem an impossible task--but if you have a telescoping magnetic tool, that will do the trick of reaching up in there and putting those nuts where you want them!

Hope this helps..

Edit:
BTW, others might say that your setup is fine as is. It really all depends upon how comfortable you are with it. Can you grab the engine and pull as hard as possible? If so, does it budge? If not, then you are probably fine. Just check the tightness every so often. I'm just speaking for my preference--I wouldn't like it....
Old 05-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Binary_01

It looks very solid to me, I just don't know how the vibration will affect it. Anyways, I'll see what the club members will say tomorrow!

Cheers!
Old 05-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Ross 3951
My Feedback: (2)

Binary 01,

I wouldn't trust that mount at all!!!!! The bent screws will eventually snap due to stress.
You would be better off getting an adjustable, nylon, motor mount. The nylon mounts are good at reducing vibration.
Attach the mount to the firewall. Relocate blind nuts if needed.
Rest motor on the mounting rails and transfer hole locations from your motor. Drill holes and bolt through using appropriate hardware. I think 1/4 - 20 x 1 1/4 with locking nuts would work.
This will keep you and your plane safe and in one piece.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 alpha's with the engines mounted like yours, they work just fine. Plant one on its nose, and the motor "slides" some in the mount, removeing a lot of energy from the mount and the firewall. Check the bolts for tightness once in a while, every other time you take it to the field, I have used my alpha's for 3 years now, and have only managed to get loose 1 time in a year. About 3/4's of a turn was what it took to cinch it down. If you bend the strap, just tap it flat, or put in a vise to straighten it. You will find your alpha to be a fairly forgiving bird in practice. Just start with your control throws down a little, you can increase them as you get familiar with the plane. It only takes a minute or two to adjust them.

EDIT- I hadn't looked at the picture when I originally posted. Ya.... Ya gotta get rid of the screws. Are the straps being pulled off of the mounting tabs on the engine? The curved portion of the stap should be mounted toward the engine case. Are the mounting tabs on the engine too narrow to fit the mount? If that is the case, I would replace the mount as described above. It isn't that difficult. I would also get rid of the phillips head screws, and replace them with socket heads. It makes for a neater and more secure installation.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:53 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

You tightened the screws too much. Just replace the 4 bent screws with allen head machine screws and center the engine and clamp down again. The replacement screws will be better metal. It will be fine for a trainer. That clamp system is supose to be a little sloppy to save the engine in a crash.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say it will work fine. It looks sloppy, but if those bent screws can turn their way out, I'll eat my hat (And yours )

I say fly it as is
Old 05-15-2005, 10:10 AM
cowwboyy

I say if you need to fly then fly! If you don't have the need to and have time to play then put new mounts on.I found on my Alpha that it couldn't take the speeds and vibrations of larger engine and two blade prop.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:35 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest just making some wider and a little heavier straps. Lay your narrow ones on top of the wider ones to mark your holes. Easy fix.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:09 AM
bruce88123

Sorry I had to leave for the weekend after starting to answer your question. After seeing your problem, you either need to replace the mount or do like in post #17. Remember the original screws are metric if you replace them. You may well get away with flying it as is like MinnFlyer said but I wonder about damage you may have done to the screws when they were bent. If you attempt to straighten them, they will surely break or at least weaken further. []
Old 05-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Binary_01

Thank you for all the replies, again, so many different opinions.

I went to the club this Sunday for the first time. The guys over there checked my airplane, adjusted the control throws and the CG. I inquired about the way my engine was mounted and all of them just told me, make sure it's tight before each flight and you will be ok. The instructor took my plane for it's maiden flight, trimmed it and flew for 5 minutes, then suggested I take the radio but I regretfully refused because I wanted to be on a dummy box. I found out later that 95% of the member have Futaba Radio's [X(] I have a JR Quattro. So I sat on the bench talking to people and watching them fly for the rest of the day. Unfortunately one of the senior club member had a scale bi-plane and it crashed, his batteries apparently melted or something while in flight, crashed just after the runway. It was a very nice plane, apart from the fact that he lost his plane it was kinda of funny because they all looked at me and said "Don't get discouraged it happens". Before the instructor left we kinda agreed that we were going to have to deal with one radio and he will stay close to me in case I loose control. I don't know what we will do once I get to learn to land I guess it will just be more exciting.

Cheers!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:23 PM
bruce88123

You can purchase your own buddy box and have it before next weekend for a reasonable cost. It is well worth the price and can be sold with the plane if you sell it later or if you use it to train someone else later.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=JRP447TX

At least have a look and give close consideration. It would be a VERY smart move.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Binary_01

Nice, thanks for the link! I might actually just buy that!

Too bad they don't sell some kind of converter for JR <--> Futaba for a buddy box.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:05 PM
bruce88123

They might but I don't tend to trust them. Call Horizon and verify that it comes with the cord. I think it does but forgot to look to be honest. With your own box you can train your g/f, kid brother, friend or whoever once you are up to it. Or let your instructor do it for you. Buddy box gets real important once you start takeoff and landings. Anyone can fly up high after a few minutes. The hard part is the transition between air and dirt. [:@] Dirt down, air up. Keep that straight and you got it half way made.

Good luck and keep an eye on the motor mount
Old 05-16-2005, 01:12 PM
bruce88123

OK, here is the link for the Jr to Futaba adaptor you asked about:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...?ProdID=HAN173

I guess you could use it. I have not persoanally used this so I can not vouch for it. Anyone else have experience with it????

Whichever way you go, get on it and use express shipping if you want it for the weekend.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:39 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen it used--works just fine. JR must be the master, and futaba must be the slave. That's how you'd do it anyway. I can't remember how the power issue is resolved--but I don't think the JR is capable of supplying power to the futaba. The instructions will resolve that issue for you.

Definitely the route I'd go, unless you want to buy your own buddy box (which isn't a bad thing either).
Old 05-16-2005, 02:11 PM
bruce88123

Worst case scenario is if it makes the Futaba transmit somehow. If so, several options depending on model of Futaba.

!. Remove Futaba RF module if equipped
2. Remove crystal from Futaba
3. Obtain freq pin for Futaba transmitter and make sure not the same as yours.

Possible none of the above will be needed but make sure. This is why actual buddy box is always safest .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.