Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

4 flights then Solo

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4 flights then Solo

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 AM
blindguarden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 flights then Solo

Hello All,

Well here is my story,
I finlly found an instructor to teach me to fly
I just wanted to let everyone know that it only took me 4 flights before I soloed even tho I was kinda tricked in to it
my first flight went great we had flown for about 10 mins then my instructor brought her in for a landing. At this time he kept asking me if I had ever flown before, And I kept telling him it was my first time ever.
On my 3rd flight he told me to taxy like I was going to take off and he would take over to get her off the ground, Well I started to taxy down the runway that was no big deal, He told me to kept tell me to give it more gas..so I did. The next thing you know It came off the ground after he told me to give it a little elevator and up she went .
On the fourth flight I took her off with ease.. he told me he wanted me to make a few passes like I was going to land So he could see how I lined up when comming in. At about the forth pass he told me to bring her in for a landing. I ask him if he was sure he wanted me to do that? So I told he ok if he felt that I was ready I would. He said yes. So I did, I lined up on the runway and put he down just a nice as can be then I gave her some gas and pulled he back up just like I had done it like I had been doing it for years (even tho I had never landed a plane in my life)....My instructor started jumping up and down like a child and yelling DID YOU SEE THAT, DID YOU SEE THAT, DID YOU SEE THAT a touch and go, a touch and go on his first landing!!!!! He had got himself so worked up that he had to sit down for about an hour to calm himself down (mind you he is about 68 years of age).
I made 3 more flights that day by myself with out a hitch, take offs and landings included.
My instructor ended up telling me at the end of the day that he believed from my first flight I was a natural. I wouldn't know about that, All I know is that from my first flight to my solo it just seemed to easy....I was just expecting it to be for challenging than it was.

thanks to my Instructor I can now go and Fly when ever I want and enjoy this hobbie to its fullest!!!!

thanks.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:26 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: 4 flights then Solo

Wow. Great job ! You are a natural !
Old 05-15-2005, 02:38 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Congrads blindguarden... Great job.... Ala-natural does make things seem
too easy.... But there are a lot of challenges in this hobby, And you will always
learn something new or how to do it better!! But that all depends on where you
want to go in this hobby and how you want to look getting there...
Have Fun, enjoy and be safe... It's a great hobby!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Swager

Thats Great! How did your "dead stick" go? Took me awhile to get used to them. Sounds like you got it right away! It is also good you got to do your take offs and landings from multiple directions. Sometimes it is difficult to be able to do that on the same day!

You are a natural!! WTG!!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:01 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Keep up the excellent work! [sm=thumbup.gif][8D]
Old 05-16-2005, 08:07 AM
joesabido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations mate!! That stuff is always so inspiring to read

It reminds me of my first landing, picture perfect landing too, and my instructor cursing like a grumpy old fella cause he "forgot the camera"

I'm not really a "natural", i guess it was luck that time cause i was shaking my ***** off since i was so nervous and i felt like my hands had a mind on their own, like i wasn't thinking... i don't know, it was weird , i have never crashed a plane on a landing though
Old 05-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Congrats. Where do you live in alabama? I am in Huntsville.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:27 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, that's great! Congratulations!!

Now, the real training begins because you will be doing things on your own, for the most part. Don't be afraid to ask the instructor if you are not sure about something. AND, if you are not comfortable with something, like for that first flight on a new plane, ask your instructor either to take the plane up for you (first flight). He will be able to check and set the initial trim or have him take you up on the buddy box then do the initial trim with him.

You should do lots and lots of those touch-and-go landings. I usually fly for about 8 minutes then do touch-and-go landings for the next few minutes practicing all sorts of different approches and landings. That may sound boring, but you get all sorts of practice doing that, and it always pays off. Also, go high in altitude, go to idle, and drill yourself on practice approaches simulating dead stick... just before landing, either land or go full throttle and do it all again.

Make every flight a fun fly followed by a little practice. Always helps to hone those reflexes.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 PM
blindguarden

Chad I live about 30 min to 45 min south of you in Cullman
Old 05-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

oh ok. Feel free to come fly sometime. We fly over here in madison near the intergraph complex.