Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

May project

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

May project

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May project

Being 15, i can't drive by myself yet.. So i am going to be biulding a trailer for my bike to haul planes to the field in and probably all the gear. I need this to hold 4 planes. (I know its alot for a bike to pull, but me and my friend will both have 2 planes if things go as they are now.. I also need it to hold 2 flight boxes and 2 gallons of fuel. I have some old bikes that will provide tires. But what should i make it out of? I want it to be able to hold a person if needed in case of emergency.. and I am thinking all wood...I was also thinking of one of those child trailers, but it would be too expensive..

Thanks for the help.

I hope to only go through a gallon of fuel a week
Old 05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
txaggie08

Default RE: May project

wood might do it. try to check out a little yard trailer from wal-mart. they usualy have them fo 60$ or so, and you could use the axle to build a bed on
Old 05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Chad,
I admire your determination, but in my mind I would think that what you are looking for is going to wind up too heavy to pull for very far. I may be wrong, but that's the way I see it. It'll probably wind up costing a bit too. Wood these days can get expensive. I would hunt around for scrap lumber. Hit up the local construction areas and see if you can get their scrap lumber. Explain what you are doing and they might help you out for nothing. Otherwise it could get expensive pretty quickly, especially for someone on a limited budget.

I would be looking the other direction if I were you. There was a post on here not too long about about a kid in NYC that had very limited carrying capability to get to the flying field. He had all of his field gear, including fuel, in a camera bag. Make a lightweight plane holder out of PVC to mount on the back of your bike to hold the plane secure. Throw the camera/flight bag over your should and you can get to the field on your bike easily. A lot easier than trying to pull a large plywood trailer with your bike.

At least that's my 02¢ worth
Old 05-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Redback

Chad,

A friend and me tried the same thing when I was about your age more years ago than I am prepared to mention! At this time I was flying free flight and dreaming of affording RC.

Problem was that we didn't know about metal fatigue at the time and made the towing bar from T - section aluminum sort of bolted together. Rest of the trailer was made of wood as far as I can remember, used a pair of wheels from an old baby carriage.

I can't remember whether the towbar broke before we got to the flying site, or on the way back, but break it surely did. Ended up cycling back holding what was left of the bar to drag the trailer precariously behind! Got our days flying in though.

Hope you have better luck than we did.

Terry
Old 05-19-2005, 08:26 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad-

I would try to find yourself a used bike child carrier trailer as a starting point. Check garage sales, papers, etc. I think you will end up with a better product and probably not spend any more in the long run. I would also not try to haul 4 planes at once. I think that is asking for disaster.

Better yet, just beg rides for another year.

Good luck!

-Scott
Old 05-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Skynyrd Man

Chad, I was going to say 4 planes on a bike trailer is a bit much also, about all we can get on the rubbermade was 2, maybe three with a mod.
Being that you will be traveling much faster than I do on the rider you will also need a good way to secure the planes to the trailer so they dont blow away on you.
I second modifying a used bike trailer. Look for some used ones locally.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Skynyrd Man

Here is a picture of me on my way to go flying. It is really a simple but effective design.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48571.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	273570  
Old 05-19-2005, 10:21 AM
txaggie08

hey chad , whoever said pvc hit the money on a perfect idea. get an axle(just something basic) and build the rest of it out of 3/4 or so schedue 90 pvc. shouldnt cost much to make either.

im not gonna say its going to ..um..."live long and prosper", but itll work for the summer im shure

BTW, i have seen star wars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, that being said it was good, but this IS NOT a movie little kids need to go see. its lucky it didnt get an R, cause some of it is pretty macabe(IMO)
Old 05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Pilot Chad

ok, Thanks for all of the replies. I was looking for bike tires by the shed last night and found our old riding lawnmower trailer.. It will work and if not the child carrier will. Skynard, We will not be carrying our planes when they are put together. They will be wing and fuse. I think in the trailer could fit 3 planes at least which is fine. I think we could almost haul it down there with the lawnmower, except we have to cross one big road, which is a 3 lane,So the bikes will have to do.

I think i will get some Conduit, and connect it to my bike, and then connect the trailer. With my bike, it shouldn't be bad to do... And we can switch out who hauls the trailer...
Old 05-19-2005, 02:31 PM
2slow2matter

ORIGINAL: txaggie08

BTW, i have seen star wars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, that being said it was good, but this IS NOT a movie little kids need to go see. its lucky it didnt get an R, cause some of it is pretty macabe(IMO)
Where did that come from?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:45 PM
FighterBird873

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

Back in the 1970's, a man named George made a movie. It was a pretty popular movie. Some people liked the movie. It was called Star Battles, or something.

BTW, I wouldn't build a trailer. Put 4 wheels on it, and call it a cart. That way your friend can help pull it too.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:15 PM
txaggie08

ORIGINAL: FighterBird873

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

Back in the 1970's, a man named George made a movie. It was a pretty popular movie. Some people liked the movie. It was called Star Battles, or something.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
bruce88123

they had a big guy in a monkey suit called Cheeta in it, right? And a Tin Man that was looking for an Emperor named Oz. Et tu Brute?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Pilot Chad

ok. I think i will either buy my neighbors chil carrier or think of something... The child carrier thing would be light. and she has easily pulled it with both of her kids 70 pounds...
Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
jagnweiner

Now you're talking! How far do you have to travel to the field?

-Scott
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Pilot Chad

I would say half a mile. All flat land...
No bad at all..
Old 05-20-2005, 08:41 AM
jagnweiner

Half a mile? No sweat! I was thinking you were talking about like a 5 mile ride. Make two trips.

I know sometimes the process of creating something is half the fun, but the way I look at it it's just time not spent flying. If I were in your shoes, I would just buy the used kid trailer from your neighbor, load it up and go. If you need a second trip, leave your buddy there to watch the stuff and go back and get the rest of the stuff.

I'd kill to be able to fly a half mile from home.

-Scott
Old 05-20-2005, 02:58 PM
ballgunner

Only have one thing to say. You get an A+ for effort and determination. Hope all turns out well no matter the path you take.
I'm proud of you.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Pilot Chad

The way it's looking, It will be an all PVC cart. Mainly for weight purposes... I nees to know how to make axles though... The nieghbors aren't going to give me their cart for cheap....I could talk them into 50 if i am REALLY lucky. But, who knows i will talk to them. They are also my aunt and uncle so that will help.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:22 PM
bruce88123

Axles will kinda depend on the wheels you end up with and how rough the terrain is on the way to the field. You could consider a length of 3/8" or 1/2" all-thread from Home Depot if it would fit your wheels. Probably need nuts and washers too.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Pilot Chad

ok. For some reason buying a chil carrier thing is looking better by the minute.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Skynyrd Man

It would be a lot less work in the long run.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:50 PM
bruce88123

Must be something you can do to trade for it. Wash their car every week for the summer? I don't know, it's your family.

With family, it doesn't always have to be a cash deal.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Skynyrd Man

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Must be something you can do to trade for it. Wash their car every week for the summer? I don't know, it's your family.

With family, it doesn't always have to be a cash deal.
There you go! Do a fairly decent job on it and maybe you will be able to sell it to somebody in your shoes next year while you are driving to the club.