Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Beater Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Beater Plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:55 PM
LuckyArmpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Beater Plane

Came across a Sig Kougar. Basically, the plane was old and had most of the covering off. Broken rudder, no cowl, no turtledeck and no cockpit. This thing had old airtronics servos. I stripped off as much monkote as I could. Re-covered the wing (not the greatest in the iron on covering dept.), made new rudder, attached all the control surfaces etc. Tried to re-cover the fuse but wood is old. Shoulda just used balsarite on it. Anyways, I now have it completed and have re-soldered the servos to work with my receivers.
Kinda looks like crap but its gonna be my "beater" plane. So if it crashes, don't really care all that much. BTW, my 14 month old Rottweiler "Brutus" wanted to be in the pic...

Dave...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96634.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	278316   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44701.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	278317  
Old 05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: New Beater Plane

Nice, Doesn't that have the foam core wing?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:06 PM
LuckyArmpit

Chad, yes it does. The wing is foam core with balsa sheeting. Whoever had this plane covered it in orange and black monokote.
Truly an ugly duckling! And what a PITA to take off the covering with a heat gun too!!! I also had to fill in many spots with spackling because the plane was dented up pretty good. Also, some areas on the wood had fuel soaked in. I'm sure many RC'ers have a beater plane in their fleet. One that is beat up but still flies half decent.

Dave...
Old 05-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Redback

Trouble with these "don't care if they crash" planes is that you enjoy flying them so much (I guess because you are so relaxed) that you end up not wanting to crash them.

Got a Modeltech Magic Extra that has been repaired a couple of times but still flies really well. Doesn't owe me anything so I push the envelope a little, would hate to lose it though.

Enjoy it anyway

Terry
Old 05-30-2005, 08:15 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Everyone has to have a beater, sometimes they just fly too good, she looks great. When you put new plugs or trimed the plugs to fit your Rx's did you remember to reverse the positive and negative leads of the old style Airtronics plugs?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

That will be a fun one. I am thinking about a cougar, or patriot in the near future (that means the next couple of years) For now i will stick to the ugly stik, four star and soon to join them is a Mig 15! I think i will go the speed route and then calm down to patter flying.