Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

any suggestions???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

any suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 11:26 AM
video232
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any suggestions???

I recently took a workshop at the local hobby store where they helped newbies get into the hobby relatively cheap and offered all the help with assembling and learning to fly a Sig Kadet Senior. I was out with the instructor on Friday and everything was going fine, flying the pattern learning the controls when the left wing just failed, it snapped and down came the plane. This is all new to me and I was not flying extreme[img][/img][img][/img] or was I at full power my half stick. Needless to say the plane hit the ground and is now in several pieces I asked the instructor what happened and he said he didn’t know the wing may have had some damage all along and it just broke at the weak point. If I contacted sig and explained what happened do you think they would replace the aircraft or do I just bite the bullet and start over?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Skynyrd Man

Default RE: any suggestions???

I'm not sure from your post, did you had experienced builders helping you build the wing? If so I would definitely contact them. If not I would still contact them, it's worth a try.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:44 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this a kit or an ARF? Where in the wing did it break? Was it at the dihedral brace? If an ARF there is a good likelihood SIG will help out. May need a statement from person who helped with assembly and/or flight instructor. Worth a try.

Sad news indeed, don't give up though as this kind of thing can happen. []
Old 06-11-2005, 11:45 AM
video232

I forgot this was an arf the wings were already assembled we had to install the servos, engine etc.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:07 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Well, since it was an ARF and Sig actually assembled the wing panel, AND assuming the break occurred somewhere other than the point where YOU assembled the wing halves, THIS does sound like Sig is responsible.

Definitely give them a call and explain what happened.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 PM
video232

the wing did not break where they come together it broke out about 1/2 to 3/4 towards the wing tip
Old 06-11-2005, 12:41 PM
ballgunner

Sig is usually very responsive to customer complaints. Since the wing didn't break at the dihedral joint I would think you have a case. Get a statement from your instructor describing the incident and Sig will probably make things right. Sorry to hear your new airplane broke apart in flight and I hope Sig will do the right thing. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Skynyrd Man

Hang on to the wing. Sig most likly want to inspect it.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:58 PM
video232

after getting the parts out and looking them over the wing broke at the point where the spar stops inside the wing " It did not break at where the 2 wings meet.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:16 PM
2slow2matter

It doesn't matter anyway. That ARF has a two piece wing. The consumer is only responsible for putting together the halves, using the brace provided. It is all self aligning, and pretty much idiot proof. Sig will definitely have to bite the bullet on this one. And, they are a good company and will more than likely help you out. You need the instructor to verify that the wing was bolted on correctly, and that should do it. I'm assuming by your post that the instructor either works for, or owns the LHS? This will help a lot.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:58 PM
video232

yes the instructor owns the store...now if sig does bite the bullet will they just replace the aircraft or will they replace the engine also....the engine should be ok but will need alot of cleaning to get back to normal?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Cleaning the engine is no biggy, they won't replace it because it needs cleaning. Sorry to hear about your plane. Have you contacted Sig Mfg.?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:19 PM
video232

nope this just happend last night will call them first thing monday morinig....keeping my fingers crossed
Old 06-11-2005, 07:22 PM
video232

what is the best way to clean a engine that has been caked with mudd
Old 06-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Skynyrd Man

others will tell you how to clean it but whatever you do, do not try to turn the engine untill it is clean. You will damage it if you try.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:41 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: video232

after getting the parts out and looking them over the wing broke at the point where the spar stops inside the wing " It did not break at where the 2 wings meet.

The spar stops ? Do you mean webbing ? The spar usually goes the entire length of the wing. There can be two spars, an upper and lower. And they can be connected by a piece of wood called a web.

But if you mean the wing broke where the dihedral brace ends, then that is a problem. That would indicate that it was not properly glued. But Sig might not see it that way. Sig may not even care. They still might replace the kit.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:46 AM
txaggie08

i bet he means the were the ply doubler ends(that would be about 3/4 in to the center) .
Old 06-12-2005, 02:41 AM
mstroh3961

Vidio 232, When you make the call be courteous! Ranting and raving will get you no where. Just state the facts. If you can, take pictures and offer to email them to the person you talk to. Particularly both sides were the wing came apart. Sig Might want the wing shipped back to them for inspection.

On cleaning the engine, As stated earlier don't turn the prop shaft.. first plug the carb with anything you can, a rubber plug a wad of papertowl...what ever. use a old tooth brush to clean the exterior. then use fuel to rinse out the dirt inside the engine. I would take the back plate off and use more fuel. If you are uncomfortable dismantling the engine ask you instructor to help.

Just remeber STUFF happens Its part of this hobby! It wouldent be as thrilling if nothing bad could happen.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:53 AM
video232

attached are several photos of where I believe the wing failed...it looks like the joint was not clued or not clued correctly because of such a clen break or seperation. please give me your input on these photos...thanks to all of you have have left comments.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51400.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	283643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22699.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	283644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28953.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	283645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38213.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	283646  
Old 06-12-2005, 01:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Video,
Call Sig tomorrow and tell them what happened, and send them the pictures if need be. I think that you will find that Sig is a very reputable company and they will do what is right in this matter. From the pictures it looks like the wing failed. This happens sometimes. I'm pretty sure they will replace your plane. I doubt the will replace the motor though. It is rare that a motor is actually damaged in a crash. Usually a good cleaning to get the dirt out of it is all that is needed. It should be fine after you clean it.

Ken
Old 06-12-2005, 02:10 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Video232 -- Please keep us all posted on what Sig says when you call -- I think you are on pretty solid ground for a claim:

1. New Airplane -- assembled with the assistance of a LHS that I presume is a Sig dealer.
2. You were flying with an instructor who is also the same Sig dealer
3. You have a great photo documentation
4. As previously said is a very reputable manufacturer

I learned to fly on a Sig Senior Kadet earlier this year and absolutely love the airplane. I also gave it a fair share of abuse and it is a pretty strong airplane and still flying every week. I liked the Kadet Sr so much I have since purchased a Rascal40 arf, 4*40 arf, and am building a 4*60 kit as we speak. Needless to say I am a big fan of Sig and would be disappointed if they did not make it right with you.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Pilot Chad

For cleaning engines, i would use gasoline, i have friends who did it that way and it worked fine. jst soak it in gasoline. Take out the glow plug though
Old 06-12-2005, 03:05 PM
mstroh3961

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

For cleaning engines, i would use gasoline, i have friends who did it that way and it worked fine. jst soak it in gasoline. Take out the glow plug though
NO NO NO!!!!!! Glo powered engins have o-rings and seals that can be dammaged by gas!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

mstroh3961 is absolutely right. You should never use gasoline to clean your engine.

Ken
Old 06-12-2005, 03:39 PM
txaggie08

i was advised to boil them and it would clean them out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.