Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Questions.........

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Questions.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:08 AM
piperofna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions.........

Hi..
Q1
My piper 3 uses the engine range btwn .20 to .28 stroke engine..can i have a .35 FLASH engine mount on it and yet not cause any imbalance or sort??

Q2
One more thng the engine mount is a two piece balsa wood wedge into the firewall..but the supporting balsa seems to offset to the right of the plane(assuming im facing the plane front)...is this suppose to be normal cause when the engine is mounted, the engine seems to tilt to the right a little.

Q3
To start the engine running shld i get a 12V startter or jus manually using a dowel....??
Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Questions.........

piper,
GET AN INSTRUCTOR. He can answer all of your questions, and he will save about 5 planes and you will be in the hobby then. PLEASE get and instructor. I did, and i didn't want to at first, but please get one, it will save you alot of money.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: piperofna

Hi..
Q1
My piper 3 uses the engine range btwn .20 to .28 stroke engine..can i have a .35 FLASH engine mount on it and yet not cause any imbalance or sort??

Q2
One more thng the engine mount is a two piece balsa wood wedge into the firewall..but the supporting balsa seems to offset to the right of the plane(assuming im facing the plane front)...is this suppose to be normal cause when the engine is mounted, the engine seems to tilt to the right a little.

Q3
To start the engine running shld i get a 12V startter or jus manually using a dowel....??
Other than following Pilot Chad's advice... Here are the answers...

Q1. Yes, you balance the Airplane once it is fully built so if you can make the engine mount work... Cool...

Q2. Yes, its called right thrust... Because the engine spins in one direction, Anti Clockwise, it wants to pull the Airplane to the left, by slightly off setting the engine to the right you compensate for this which means the Airplane tracks straight.

Q3. You need to have what is called a glow starter... See picture below... to start the engine. This piece of equipment sits on the glow plug and heats it, which in turn causes the initial ignition in the engine when you flip it. You then remove the glow starter. At this stage I would suggest a 12 V starter is not necessary... Use a Dowel... NOT A FINGER...

Setting up a new engine can be tricky for a new guy... So refer to the instructor advice...

Matt
Old 06-13-2005, 02:02 AM
Pilot Chad

Sukhoi,
Good post. And yes, i think a stick can easily flip a 25. And fingers get cut up. I have been in this hobby 5 months and have scars...
Old 06-13-2005, 04:12 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: piperofna
Q3
A 12v starter is optional. I have engines ranging from .15 to .61. I have a 12v starter, for boats, but I do on any of my airplane engines.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:15 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

Sukhoi,
Good post. And yes, i think a stick can easily flip a 25. And fingers get cut up. I have been in this hobby 5 months and have scars...
Chad, not trying to pick on you, but I think you need to have your instructor go through prop safety with you a few more times. I've been in the hobby 25+ years and have no scars.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Sukhoi,
Chad, not trying to pick on you, but I think you need to have your instructor go through prop safety with you a few more times. I've been in the hobby 25+ years and have no scars.
Yes... "A Stick" can flip a lot of large engines too...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Dr1Driver

Probably. Most .32-.35 engines are simply .28s bored out.

is this suppose to be normal cause when the engine is mounted, the engine seems to tilt to the right a little.
Some trainers use right thrust to offset the torque produced by the engine, which tries to turn the plane to the left. "Right thrust" means the engine is angled with the prop shaft to the right when looking down at the plane and standing behind it.

That will depend on how easily the engine will start. Some engines start readily with a "chicken stick", some need a little kick from an electric starter. If you use a chicken stick, DO NOT use a bare wood dowel, you may damage the prop. Get one of the cushioned chicken sticks readily available from your LHS. Also, GET AN INSTRUCTOR!!! You'll be a LOT happier and your R/C learning experience won't cost as much.

Dr.1
Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Did you not just repost what I had already said?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:44 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

barewood dowells will work fine for most trainer applications. That's what I use. Now, granted, I wouldn't use one on a 100 dollar carbon fiber prop or anything like that, but for 2 dollar MAS props, it will get you started without spending another 10 or 15 bucks on a "cushioned" one. Also, if you really want the cusion, just wrap one end real good with duct, or electrical tape and that will do good. You'll need a 3/4 to 1 inch dowell. the 3/4 I think is best for props in the size range of 10-12 inches. Again, it's what I use and seems to work fine. Actually, I use an electric starter most of the time, but when I'm on the runway, and have a flame out, I pull the dowell out of my pocket (insert jokes here), and give her a flip, and usually am back up and running without taking it back to the pitts.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The chicken stick I use is an old 3/4" dowel I had laying around. I wrap it with electrical tape, and when the tape get's cut up I pull it off an put more on. I've been using this to start my planes for 9 years now and never had a problem.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sukhoi,
I would think a lesson on starting precedures may be in order here. I hand start my OS160FX, My Zeonah G26, and my Roto35 and do not have anything to show for it other than the engines running.

Scars on fingers/hands in that short of time indicate to me that improper methods are used to start and hand prop/chicken stick.

Just a very quick overview

Prime as needed being careful not to over-prime. No priming usually is needed for a warm engine and never prime with the glow ignitor connected
Prop should be set so the blades are at 1pm (right plane facing the plane) and 7pm (left blade facing the plane) just as the engine is coming on compression (glow and most electronic ign. gas engines)
Now while facing the plane with the prop blade at 1:00pm/7:00pm postion against compression, flip the prop to the right with the right hand swinging you up and over the top of the prop arc from the 1:00pm position. your hand will swing up and away just as the engine comes off compression and your hand will be clear as it fires. If it does not fire, wait for the prop to stop moving before trying it again. Sometimes the prop will swing back against compression and actually start the engine and if you reaching in there to grab the prop then you will get bit.

Never use the left side (facing the plane) of the prop as you are now going down with the prop arc and it you slip you can be sure of a prop srtike. It's uncomfortable at first, but it works well.

OS160FX engines are usually started by "back flipping" the engine. I prime mine if needed, grab the spinner and give in a quick "bump" in the wrong direction (backflipping), it will kick back the correct way and usually start on the first try. So see some engine actually work better that what you would normally need to do.

The key is to never go down with the prop arc, but always go up and away with the prop arc
Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Pilot Chad

I cut my fingers before i had my prop safety lesson. And it was really just me not watching my finger while doing some stuff. It was BEFORE i had an instructor..
Old 06-13-2005, 08:45 PM
piperofna

Hi there.Thanks for the wonderful tips and filling up my queries....
Appreciate tips from those who contributed and I am getting one step ahead each time with guidance from the forum. If i were to get the instructor in the first place, then i wouldnt need a forum at all.I believe it is here we can share our views and knowledge.

anyway...I i have the glow plug and other spares available.I have r/c nitro cars stil tuck away in my room.My car has a pull starter to fire it up...except for the plane teh concept are a little diff.

Can anyone has any guide to how we can check the plane for balance?if not i have to counter balance the batt in the fuselage etc....MANy thanks!Love the forum...keep the tips coming!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

piperofna,
RCU member Minnflyer has written and excellent how-to on balancing you plane. Please take a few minute to read up on it.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=84[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-13-2005, 09:32 PM
piperofna

besides plane fuel...can we use nitro fuel for r/c cars?mine states 20%
Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

True RC Car fuel is usually lighter in oil than RC Plane fuel... Sometimes up to 20% less oil...

Also... If your car fuel is 20% Nitro... It will be too much for you Airplane engine...

The best thing to do is check the fuel specs which the Airplane engine calls for and then use that fuel...

This is as specially important when you are breaking in a new engine...

Matt
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
piperofna

thanks sukhoi.you are really helpful!noted.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

Sweet...